Atheists increasingly uneducated...

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
"Less-educated Americans turning their backs on religion
LAS VEGAS — While religious service attendance has decreased for all white Americans since the early 1970s, the rate of decline has been more than twice as high for those without college degrees compared to those who graduated from college, according to new research to be presented at the 106th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association.

"Our study suggests that the less educated are dropping out of the American religious sector, similarly to the way in which they have dropped out of the American labor market," said lead researcher W. Bradford Wilcox, a professor of sociology at the University of Virginia.

The study focuses on whites because black and Latino religiosity is less divided by education and income. Most whites who report a religious affiliation are Catholics, evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants, Mormons, or Jews."

http://blogs.the-american-interest....ity-grows-as-poor-ignorant-atheists-swamp-us/

""The least educated have been consistently less religiously engaged than even the moderately educated, meaning the gap between the least educated and most educated is even larger than the one between the moderately educated and most educated," Wilcox said."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
LAS VEGAS — While religious service attendance has decreased for all white Americans since the early 1970s, the rate of decline has been more than twice as high for those without college degrees compared to those who graduated from college, according to new research to be presented at the 106th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association.

"Our study suggests that the less educated are dropping out of the American religious sector, similarly to the way in which they have dropped out of the American labor market," said lead researcher W. Bradford Wilcox, a professor of sociology at the University of Virginia.

The study focuses on whites because black and Latino religiosity is less divided by education and income. Most whites who report a religious affiliation are Catholics, evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants, Mormons, or Jews."

""The least educated have been consistently less religiously engaged than even the moderately educated, meaning the gap between the least educated and most educated is even larger than the one between the moderately educated and most educated," Wilcox said."

This is not surprising. The country's founders were well versed in the Bible. Many of them knew Hebrew. I "heard on the rest of the story" by Paul Harvey that a story was written by an intellectual to help him understand the Bible better. The name of the story was Ben Hur! I have done some leadership studies, and one of the things I noticed about the "self-help" books were that there were a lot of stories directly from the Bible. I chose to skip the middle man and go to the Book.

Not to sound ignorant what is the difference between the two?

A lot of things being conveniently left out here. A link to the article would have been nice, but that would expose the disingenuous claim of the OP. This isn't a study of education and atheism, as your title falsely claims, it's a measure of educational levels compared with attendance to religious institutions. There's a big difference.

Yeah... That's it. Keep telling yourself that:)

Proverbs 9:10 The beginning of wisdom is to fear the Lord, and acknowledging the Holy One is understanding

It's true. And "if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto him." (James 1:5)

The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment
Psalm 37:30

The study that was conducted pertains to attendance of religious services, not to theism versus atheism. The author of the article assumes that people who don't attend religious services are atheists. This is a logically untenable argument because there are plenty of people who do not attend religious services that still believe in a deity. In fact some of the most adamant Christians I know never attend religious services. Besides, the article is very poorly written and rife with grammatical folly, and the author clearly has an agenda. Nice try though.

The study that was conducted pertains to attendance of religious services, not to theism versus atheism. The author of the article assumes that people who don't attend religious services are atheists. This is a logically untenable argument because there are plenty of people who do not attend religious services that still believe in a deity. In fact some of the most adamant Christians I know never attend religious services. Besides, the article is very poorly written and rife with grammatical folly, and the author clearly has an agenda. Nice try though.

that's why they call them *opinion pieces*

:eusa_shhh:

Oh wow, you got me good there. Doesn't change the fact that the author's opinion is worth shit when the actual study is considered. The author should probably keep his opinion to himself until he can demonstrate an elementary understanding of english grammar and some basic reading comprehension skills.

Oh wow, you got me good there. Doesn't change the fact that the author's opinion is worth shit when the actual study is considered. The author should probably keep his opinion to himself until he can demonstrate an elementary understanding of english grammar and some basic reading comprehension skills.

i'll get back to you when i care.

don't wait up

Popcorn.gif

Yep especially when the piece is about a group being uneducated.

Was the author an atheist?

Not to sound ignorant what is the difference between the two?

blessings from the Lord (wealth).

Yep especially when the piece is about a group being uneducated.

Was the author an atheist?

Yeah, no shit. When it comes to atheism, the author apparently takes the cake!

i'll get back to you when i care.

don't wait up

don't worry.

i won't

Forum List

Back