Atheism: A Comic Direction

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
A very interesting comic book 'super-villain' is the icy and eccentric Mr. Freeze (DC Comics), a weapon-wielding nemesis of the fictional masked urban vigilante Batman.

Batman prowls the city streets by night dressed as a bat and is a prominent businessman and wealthy American prince named Bruce Wayne by day. Batman has a pensive soul and is always 'anxious' about his human obligation to understand and even conquer the urban blight of criminal insanity in the modern world.

Mr. Freeze was once a deep-thinking scientist until an accident left his body dependent on extremely low temperature maintenance and afforded him the odd and tragic mission of finding a cure for his frozen wife. Mr. Freeze believes the world should be punished for the suffering of his wife, and he tortures Gotham City with his deadly ice-gun, which he uses to instantly freeze anyone who crosses his path.

Mr. Freeze is both a maniac and an odd-duck for whom criminal insanity evaluation is at once frustrating and depressing. He is equally sensitive about his wife's condition as he is about his irrational rage against humanity.

Like F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, Mr. Freeze reminds us that there lurks somewhere in the questions of metaphysics a strange (and perhaps morbid) curiosity about indulging in defeatism (or fatalism).

So this thread is meant to pose the question, "Does Mr. Freeze inspire us to consider the notion that defeatism (or fatalism) can be used as a 'psychology model' to more clearly evaluate 'analogies' of atheism?"

====

BATMAN: Your wife-empathy does not extend to humanity.
MR. FREEZE: All I care about is my wife.
BATMAN: People don't deserve to be slaves to your 'religion.'
MR. FREEZE: I'm an atheist of sorts.
BATMAN: Your victims certainly see no God protecting them.
MR. FREEZE: They are merely chattel.
BATMAN: You remind me of an evil Karl Marx.
MR. FREEZE: Marx did not have a grieving heart.
BATMAN: Marx also was not a defeatist.
MR. FREEZE: He understood the simplicity of human nature.
BATMAN: People have a right to determine their own perspective on faith.
MR. FREEZE: Vigilantism requires a certain deconstructive nod to atheism, Batman!

====

Freezebig.png

A very interesting comic book 'super-villain' is the icy and eccentric Mr. Freeze (DC Comics), a weapon-wielding nemesis of the fictional masked urban vigilante Batman.

Batman prowls the city streets by night dressed as a bat and is a prominent businessman and wealthy American prince named Bruce Wayne by day. Batman has a pensive soul and is always 'anxious' about his human obligation to understand and even conquer the urban blight of criminal insanity in the modern world.

Mr. Freeze was once a deep-thinking scientist until an accident left his body dependent on extremely low temperature maintenance and afforded him the odd and tragic mission of finding a cure for his frozen wife. Mr. Freeze believes the world should be punished for the suffering of his wife, and he tortures Gotham City with his deadly ice-gun, which he uses to instantly freeze anyone who crosses his path.

Mr. Freeze is both a maniac and an odd-duck for whom criminal insanity evaluation is at once frustrating and depressing. He is equally sensitive about his wife's condition as he is about his irrational rage against humanity.

Like F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, Mr. Freeze reminds us that there lurks somewhere in the questions of metaphysics a strange (and perhaps morbid) curiosity about indulging in defeatism (or fatalism).

So this thread is meant to pose the question, "Does Mr. Freeze inspire us to consider the notion that defeatism (or fatalism) can be used as a 'psychology model' to more clearly evaluate 'analogies' of atheism?"

====

BATMAN: Your wife-empathy does not extend to humanity.
MR. FREEZE: All I care about is my wife.
BATMAN: People don't deserve to be slaves to your 'religion.'
MR. FREEZE: I'm an atheist of sorts.
BATMAN: Your victims certainly see no God protecting them.
MR. FREEZE: They are merely chattel.
BATMAN: You remind me of an evil Karl Marx.
MR. FREEZE: Marx did not have a grieving heart.
BATMAN: Marx also was not a defeatist.
MR. FREEZE: He understood the simplicity of human nature.
BATMAN: People have a right to determine their own perspective on faith.
MR. FREEZE: Vigilantism requires a certain deconstructive nod to atheism, Batman!

====

View attachment 98104

I really could care less about analogies........I don't believe in ancient gods and I don't worship 2000 year old ghosts!!

Forum List

Back