At this moment, this Presidency is not going well

Not that it really matters to some, but we're not really in a good place at the moment. Things could turn, and most of us continue to hope for the best. But, as of early morning, August 24, here we are:

The Economy
While the unemployment figures look very good on their face, they are clearly not translating to growth, especially at the cost of the exploding deficit that temporarily goosed the economy. GDP is currently at 2.1%, but we can certainly remain hopeful that it will reverse course and increase. There have been spotty signs that growth-push inflation may be ticking up, but the trade war is clearly effecting sentiment (not to mention data) at a terribly delicate moment. Right now, this is a decent economy, at best, with consumers lacking the resources to push it and their household debt above 2008 levels.

Trade With China
Our President doesn't appear to understand that China is paying attention. They realize quite well that he's trying to bully them into a trade deal, like an eight-year old boy trying to bully another child out of their lunch at the playground. Meanwhile, Trump exhibits zero (0) understanding of the fact that China can theoretically out-wait us here, since they don't have those pesky elections to worry about all that much if the populace gets pissed off. While anything is certainly possible, it's tough to imagine China making any long term commitments until after they see who they're dealing with in January of 2021.

International Relations
Our President has not only isolated himself and his country from the rest of the world with his actions, but also with his petulant behaviors. Even for those of us who have done all we can to lower our standards and expectations of his child-like behavior, the thought of this goofy, pointless dust-up with Denmark (Denmark!) makes us wonder if this man can get along with anyone outside his base. Meanwhile, the crazy fat kid in North Korea is shooting off rockets like he's in charge of the Fourth of July celebration at the park. Like China, the world is clearly looking ahead, with hope, to November 2020.

The Wall
Trump's signature, paranoid, shallow, hyper-simplistic election issue piece isn't exactly flying up with checks to pay for it coming in from Mexico. Even with the White House, House and Senate, this President wasn't able to do much more than slap up a few new two by fours to fix some areas of our existing wall. Any completely "new" wall is spotty at best, and now he's ready to steal cash from one place to placate his base with a few miles of a much less Trumpish wall here and there. Gee, great, so much for that idea. I guess "Build! The! Wall!" could still serve as a standby rally chant when needed.

Race
Well, examining this topic is most likely a waste of time here, since there are many on this board who are telling us that racism no longer exists, or it's fake news, or that if you don't show up to work wearing a white hood you can't be a racist. What a disaster. And minorities are supposed to ignore all of it, because the unemployment rate is down at the moment. While the sycophants continue to run interference for the President Who Doesn't Know Who David Duke is, the rest of the country and the rest of the world are simply not buying the bullshit. But it sure sounds good on talk radio.

The silver lining? By far the most "successful" component of the Trump years will probably turn out to be the courts. The SC is in good shape for them, and they now have the added bonus of hoping that Ruth is quickly ravaged by cancer and dies soon. Ditto (no pun intended) for the lower courts, the nominations of which don't make much news but sure look like Sean Hannity picked 'em.

Could the economy turn back up? Yes, definitely, hopefully, but some kind of GOOD trade deal with China is now pretty much mandatory for that to happen. The Courts are the Courts. They'll probably be able to gather enough Lego™ blocks to build enough of a wall somewhere to keep talk radio and the base happy. International Relations? Race Relations? Pffffft. Who cares. Fake news.
If it seems so bad from where you are... You're on the wrong side of the fence.

Not that it really matters to some, but we're not really in a good place at the moment. Things could turn, and most of us continue to hope for the best. But, as of early morning, August 24, here we are:

The Economy
While the unemployment figures look very good on their face, they are clearly not translating to growth, especially at the cost of the exploding deficit that temporarily goosed the economy. GDP is currently at 2.1%, but we can certainly remain hopeful that it will reverse course and increase. There have been spotty signs that growth-push inflation may be ticking up, but the trade war is clearly effecting sentiment (not to mention data) at a terribly delicate moment. Right now, this is a decent economy, at best, with consumers lacking the resources to push it and their household debt above 2008 levels.

Trade With China
Our President doesn't appear to understand that China is paying attention. They realize quite well that he's trying to bully them into a trade deal, like an eight-year old boy trying to bully another child out of their lunch at the playground. Meanwhile, Trump exhibits zero (0) understanding of the fact that China can theoretically out-wait us here, since they don't have those pesky elections to worry about all that much if the populace gets pissed off. While anything is certainly possible, it's tough to imagine China making any long term commitments until after they see who they're dealing with in January of 2021.

International Relations
Our President has not only isolated himself and his country from the rest of the world with his actions, but also with his petulant behaviors. Even for those of us who have done all we can to lower our standards and expectations of his child-like behavior, the thought of this goofy, pointless dust-up with Denmark (Denmark!) makes us wonder if this man can get along with anyone outside his base. Meanwhile, the crazy fat kid in North Korea is shooting off rockets like he's in charge of the Fourth of July celebration at the park. Like China, the world is clearly looking ahead, with hope, to November 2020.

The Wall
Trump's signature, paranoid, shallow, hyper-simplistic election issue piece isn't exactly flying up with checks to pay for it coming in from Mexico. Even with the White House, House and Senate, this President wasn't able to do much more than slap up a few new two by fours to fix some areas of our existing wall. Any completely "new" wall is spotty at best, and now he's ready to steal cash from one place to placate his base with a few miles of a much less Trumpish wall here and there. Gee, great, so much for that idea. I guess "Build! The! Wall!" could still serve as a standby rally chant when needed.

Race
Well, examining this topic is most likely a waste of time here, since there are many on this board who are telling us that racism no longer exists, or it's fake news, or that if you don't show up to work wearing a white hood you can't be a racist. What a disaster. And minorities are supposed to ignore all of it, because the unemployment rate is down at the moment. While the sycophants continue to run interference for the President Who Doesn't Know Who David Duke is, the rest of the country and the rest of the world are simply not buying the bullshit. But it sure sounds good on talk radio.

The silver lining? By far the most "successful" component of the Trump years will probably turn out to be the courts. The SC is in good shape for them, and they now have the added bonus of hoping that Ruth is quickly ravaged by cancer and dies soon. Ditto (no pun intended) for the lower courts, the nominations of which don't make much news but sure look like Sean Hannity picked 'em.

Could the economy turn back up? Yes, definitely, hopefully, but some kind of GOOD trade deal with China is now pretty much mandatory for that to happen. The Courts are the Courts. They'll probably be able to gather enough Lego™ blocks to build enough of a wall somewhere to keep talk radio and the base happy. International Relations? Race Relations? Pffffft. Who cares. Fake news.
The China shit is the only thing that really concerns me as the economy reacts to it as of late.
International relations and race problems are more tied to the radical left than Trump imo.
The trade thing is an asymmetrical relationship. Trump has to worry about 2020, Xi not so much.

President Xi is very concerned about 2020, the Red Chinese really want the Democrats to win next year, and are looking to influence the elections. I hope that the FBI has operatives in the Democrat campaign to keep an eye on them and find out if there is any Chinese collusion going on.

Had this been the threat of closing the border with Mexico I would agree with you on trade but with China I am behind Trump on this one.

China has, is and will always be our enemy in the world. The have aspirations of being the lone world power with Russia being their nuclear muscle named Guido...

China is involved in a lot of stuff that hurt America and the entire world from it raping of natural resources in African Countries to selling the ingredients to fuel the cartel supplies in Mexico for their drug trade to selling poisonous products to the American consumer, so yeah America should kick China to the curb but too many anti-Trumpsters will disagree just because of their hate for him...

Now tell me Mac what does the left offer that is better than Trump?

Sanders is nuts...

Biden is just as old...

Harris place race bait politics and again nuts...

Warren is too left...

So who do you have to vote for?

The Economy

Trade With China

International Relations

The Wall

Race

Good points, I disagree with all of them-matter of perspective. Economy is still better and the Dow drop gives Trump street cred at the summit, and it will bounce back. The China thing has good timing-Europe needs to wake up and Hong Kong is a thorn in the China 100 year plan. Our allies are not friends-maybe UK is. Any wall put up is a help and a signal to criminals that we won't allow squatters. There will always be racists but you don't bring in dirty ignorant diseased aliens to populate our country and give them benefits, or you are BEGGING for another El Paso.

Much to your dismay right comrade?
Go fuck yourself you leftist bigot. Trump is doing a good job, and if that sociopath hag you supported had won, we'd be in the 11th year of the longest recession ever.
Powerful, impressive stuff there.

Perhaps you can point out some specific areas of disagreement.

The article was not written in good faith so why would it warrant a reasonable answer? If you can't see that you need some glasses. It's a full on attack piece on Trump and nothing more.

By the way, why is there no link? I suspect the link would reveal the not so reasonable origins of the author....
It's not an article, there is no link, that's just me.

Ok, well then you need to learn the difference between a reasoned argument and an attack piece fueled by TDS.
Yeah, I know, fake news.

You're certainly welcome to point out where I'm wrong.

Still expecting reasonable responses to an attack piece?

If you insult people, the response is going to be an insult.

But since you at least managed to ask without insults, I will provide an answer. The economy is the best it has been in a decade, maybe few decades. No amount of missing the trees for the forest will affect that fact. The entire premise is wrong.

Much to your dismay right comrade?

Go fuck yourself you leftist bigot. Trump is doing a good job, and if that sociopath hag you supported had won, we'd be in the 11th year of the longest recession ever.

Pete, you seemed like such a fun loving guy in the video of you at the shooting range... What in the world has made this once happy guy, in to a sour puss??? :( :dunno:

Powerful, impressive stuff there.

Perhaps you can point out some specific areas of disagreement.

The article was not written in good faith so why would it warrant a reasonable answer? If you can't see that you need some glasses. It's a full on attack piece on Trump and nothing more.

By the way, why is there no link? I suspect the link would reveal the not so reasonable origins of the author....

Ok, well then you need to learn the difference between a reasoned argument and an attack piece fueled by TDS.
Yeah, I know, fake news.

But since you at least managed to ask without insults, I will provide an answer. The economy is the best it has been in a decade, maybe few decades, and no amount of missing the trees for the forest will affect that fact.
By what empirical evidence do you think the economy is the best in a few decades?

Yeah, I know, fake news.

But since you at least managed to ask without insults, I will provide an answer. The economy is the best it has been in a decade, maybe few decades, and no amount of missing the trees for the forest will affect that fact.
By what empirical evidence do you think the economy is the best in a few decades?

All the standard economic indicators, such as GDP and unemployment.

Now that does not mean this will continue in the future, of course. But then, expecting a high point to continue forever is unreasonable in itself. Trump has been great for the economy is the bottom line. However, we live in a ponzi scheme economy populated by scam, fraud and an invasion of approximately 100 million non-Americans in America. So yes, the high point will be low even under Trump, just wait until you see the low point and the deflation of the ponzi scheme.

Yeah, I know, fake news.

Unemployment is at historic lows, especially for racial minorities.

Growth is far outpacing Obama's record.

And most importantly, America is now energy self sufficient. We are basically invincible economically to our nation's enemies.

Yeah, I know, fake news.

Now that does not mean this will continue in the future, of course. But then, expecting a high point to continue forever is unreasonable in itself. Trump has been great for the economy is the bottom line. However, we live in a ponzi scheme economy populated by scam, fraud and an invasion of approximately 100 million non-Americans in America. So yes, the high point will be low even under Trump, but just wait until you see the low point.
Our GDP is at 2.1%, less than half of Trump's own target.

2.1% is decent, definitely, but it's about average. And the deficit was increased to pay for it.

That's just not good enough.

Yeah, I know, fake news.

And most importantly, America is now energy self sufficient. We are basically invincible economically to our nation's enemies.
Growth is far outpacing Obama's record? 2.1%? In what world?

Yeah, I know, fake news.

Now that does not mean this will continue in the future, of course. But then, expecting a high point to continue forever is unreasonable in itself. Trump has been great for the economy is the bottom line. However, we live in a ponzi scheme economy populated by scam, fraud and an invasion of approximately 100 million non-Americans in America. So yes, the high point will be low even under Trump, but just wait until you see the low point.

2.1% is decent, definitely, but it's about average. And the deficit was increased to pay for it.

How high do you think the deficit will be if the D's win, and money is borrowed for the New Green Deal, Medicare for All and Reparations for black?

Yeah, I know, fake news.

In 2018 Trump beat Obama's yearly record, no yearly number for 2019 yet obviously.

Yeah, I know, fake news.

In 2018 Trump beat Obama's record.
And? That's the best economy in a few decades?

Seriously. Come on. It really is okay to just be honest.

I remember the sad state of the economy under Obama, the "funemployment", people waiting in line for obamaphones.

It wasn't good, the ship really didn't come in for Obama's devotees

I said in a decade, maybe in a few decades. Learn to read.

The unemployment rate is better than in a few decades for example.

united-states-unemployment-rate.png

It definitely isnt perfect around here. His plans for healthcare and the wall is a complete fucking failure.
Race? Not sure what that has to do with him.
Our relationships with other countries doesn't bother me, personally. It has always been a one sided relationship any way.
The economy seems pretty good but I am no economist.

Yeah, I know, fake news.

How high do you think the deficit will be if the D's win, and money is borrowed for the New Green Deal, Medicare for All and Reparations for black?
The Dems are making so many insane promises that there's no way to know what reality would look like.

But this isn't about them.

Forum List

Back