At Eternity's Gate

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I watched this last night on Netflix and can't imagine anyone else but Willem Dafoe as Vincent van Gogh. It doesn't cover his entire life. It just covers his time in Arles, France, before he dies. There are a lot of good scenes in there where you can see the combination of genius and madness. There are a couple of shots showing where some of his works were later found. There were a couple of relationships that I wish had been more developed.

So, in this trailer that opening scene with a priest takes place at a mental asylum. It is one of the best scenes in the movie. The priest asks him questions and then later tells him that he is the one that decides he can leave. That short Q & A exchange was really brilliant.

Always been a good actor, good at playing people out there on the edge.

He is very good at it. Dafoe is incredible.

I watched this last night on Netflix and can't imagine anyone else but Willem Dafoe as Vincent van Gogh. It doesn't cover his entire life. It just covers his time in Arles, France, before he dies. There are a lot of good scenes in there where you can see the combination of genius and madness. There are a couple of shots showing where some of his works were later found. There were a couple of relationships that I wish had been more developed.

So, in this trailer that opening scene with a priest takes place at a mental asylum. It is one of the best scenes in the movie. The priest asks him questions and then later tells him that he is the one that decides he can leave. That short Q & A exchange was really brilliant.

Comments.

Did they show him loping the ole ear off and mailing it to his mom?

Wonder what he'd paint if he was on acid?

Comments.

No. You see the bandage and a series of questions and you figure out whom he did it for, why he did it and the woman that he tried to give it to when the original person had already left.

I just watched it- not quite sure what to make of it yet- yes, Dafoe did a good job- but just as I started watching it I recalled Kirk Douglas had portrayed Van Gogh years ago- in Lust For Life- I never watched it but I have seen snippets of it and this portrayal is way more docile then the Douglas version-

I'm going to need to check out that other one then. Thanks.

Dafoe is perfect for this movie.
We watched it last night. Like someone above, still unsure what to make of it.
Dafoe's performance keeps you watching, but other than that - is it a good movie?
A bit artsy.. the film goes into weird "musical" scenes with odd camera shots that is distracting and makes no sense. (Example twice in the movie this erratic music plays while the camera shows Dafoe's feet walking in a field. This goes on for several minutes.
All in all... I don't think I liked it. But Dafoe's performance is award worthy nevertheless.

Comments.

There's an interesting book about the mystery of Van Gogh's ear.

Dafoe transforms Van Gogh from a two dimensional art master to a vulnerable mentally ill person driven by the need to paint. It's a compelling movie even if you aren't interested in that sort of stuff.

New Topics

Forum List

Back