Astronomers believe they have found the Apollo 10 lunar module !!

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
As you may know, Apollo 10 was the dress rehearsal mission for Apollo 11. Astronauts Stafford and Cernan departed the command module and flew the LM with strictest orders to not land on the moon.

Since this was the only moon mission with a lunar module that didn't land, it was left orbiting the moon, although some believed it headed out to orbit the sun.

Anyway, it appears they may have finally spotted this little guy, that as us old timers know, was nicknamed "Snoopy" in the same way Apollo 11's was called The Eagle.

Houston, we have long-lost problem probe Apollo 10

The last that the crew of the Apollo 10 saw of their lunar lander was the flash of an explosive charge sending it off into orbit.

Then the astronaut Tom Stafford radioed back to Houston from his own orbit around the Moon that they had lost sight of it. “We don’t have any idea where he went. He just went boom and disappeared right into the Sun,” he said.

Fifty years later a team of amateur British astronomers, along with former Apollo flight controllers, believe that the lander, one of the greatest surviving relics of the Apollo Moon landings, has been found. It is a tiny needle in the cosmic haystack that has been loyally waiting

As you may know, Apollo 10 was the dress rehearsal mission for Apollo 11. Astronauts Stafford and Cernan departed the command module and flew the LM with strictest orders to not land on the moon.

Since this was the only moon mission with a lunar module that didn't land, it was left orbiting the moon, although some believed it headed out to orbit the sun.

Anyway, it appears they may have finally spotted this little guy, that as us old timers know, was nicknamed "Snoopy" in the same way Apollo 11's was called The Eagle.

The last that the crew of the Apollo 10 saw of their lunar lander was the flash of an explosive charge sending it off into orbit.

Then the astronaut Tom Stafford radioed back to Houston from his own orbit around the Moon that they had lost sight of it. “We don’t have any idea where he went. He just went boom and disappeared right into the Sun,” he said.

Fifty years later a team of amateur British astronomers, along with former Apollo flight controllers, believe that the lander, one of the greatest surviving relics of the Apollo Moon landings, has been found. It is a tiny needle in the cosmic haystack that has been loyally waiting

Trying to find out where it is, the linked site want's me to subscribe to find out, ain't happenin'......

Did you all know the lunar module was the only component in the Apollo/LEM that never malfunctioned?

Did you all know the lunar module was the only component in the Apollo/LEM that never malfunctioned?

Well the computer crashed several times during the Apollo 11 mission when Neil Armstrong was trying to land the thing. That could be considered a malfunctions. lol!

well, where did they find it?
It was in Uranus
I was just there today...

8py68Hc.jpg

That is damned cool! I remember that mission very clearly. I wish I had been on it!

Trying to find out where it is, the linked site want's me to subscribe to find out, ain't happenin'......

Still orbiting the moon....

LOL.....Apollo!!:popcorn:

Some great stuff here on "moon rocks":funnyface::funnyface:. But the best is the photo of the lunar module ( scroll down )........these asshats didnt even try hard. LOL.....I still laugh when I look at the tan face on the module....are those rivets even metal?:2up:. I could almost stick my head through those gaps in the metal......oh.....but it successfully plowed through temperatures of almost 10,000 degrees on reentry.

Wagging the Moondoggie: Part II

Last edited:
Okay, Apollo 9 actually did have a LM on board, but the mission remained in earth orbit only.
Are we talking about landing on the moon? or back on earth? if the moon, what about 13?
Every moon landing Lunar Module Ascent stage when jettisoned from the command module crashed on the moon. Apollo 10's Lunar Module ascent stage did not for some reason. Apollo 13's stayed attached to the command module to just before its reentry back to Earth. The Lunar module was complete with the ascent stage and descent stage. After it was jettisoned it burned up in the Earth's atmosphere.

Okay, Apollo 9 actually did have a LM on board, but the mission remained in earth orbit only.
Are we talking about landing on the moon? or back on earth? if the moon, what about 13?
Every moon landing Lunar Module Ascent stage when jettisoned from the command module crashed on the moon. Apollo 10's Lunar Module ascent stage did not for some reason. Apollo 13's stayed attached to the command module to just before its reentry back to Earth. The Lunar module was complete with the ascent stage and descent stage. After it was jettisoned it burned up in the Earth's atmosphere.

Did Apollo 10's ascent stage separate? I though the entire craft was in tact and orbiting the Moon. It never landed on the Moon so no need to separate if memory serves.

Forum List

Back