Assault weapons ban in Florida quashed by state Supreme Court

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
“TALLAHASSEE — A proposal to ban assault weapons in Florida was rejected by the state Supreme Court on Thursday, with a majority of justices ruling that the proposal was misleading.”

This would have been a ballot measure to amend the Florida constitution, not a legislative measure.

Regardless, AWBs are devoid of merit because they don’t work.

“TALLAHASSEE — A proposal to ban assault weapons in Florida was rejected by the state Supreme Court on Thursday, with a majority of justices ruling that the proposal was misleading.”

This would have been a ballot measure to amend the Florida constitution, not a legislative measure.

Whomever wrote that law knew it would never stand in court. Every Federal and State Court has ruled against banning "Assault Rifles". You word it that way it won't pass the muster. It was meant to fail from the very beginning. Someone is just trying to get votes.

Now, word it like this. "AR-15/AK-47 and their various clones" has been upheld in every upper Federal Court. There a few States and Cities that have that law in place. I will not say whether I agree nor disagree but that's the way the law works.

Marry.jpg

First off, legal gun owners dont have an Assault weapons unless they have s special permit. Very low IQ individuals just cant realize this FACT.

Which of these weapons would be banned under the Bill Clinton Assault ban?

Hogue_1022_right.jpg
1103.jpg

I've read the OP, but not the replies, however, the term "assault rifle" is absurd. The individual word, "assault," simply means....attack someone. Any item you have in your hand, from a knife to a hammer or screwdriver, becomes an assault weapon in a criminal's hands.
Technically, an old-fashioned flintlock rifle becomes an "assault rifle" when used against someone.
This push by the left to list semi-automatic rifles with magazines (I guess now they've tried to include guns with rifled barrels in the mix, which means all firearms manufactured since the 15th century) as illegal is because Marxist nations like China, North Korea, Vietnam and Cuba, et cetera, have publicly stated that guns in the hands of American citizens is a problem. Their ideology has infiltrated our public educational system, MSM and Hollywood and as they see it rising, don't want the American public to rise up and actually fight against it; just be taken over by their ideology; no matter that it's always been a colossal failure in innovation and public freedoms.

With the course of events being what they are...we may be looking at the repeal of the the NFA in my lifetime. Never thought in a million years I'd be saying that.

Whomever wrote that law knew it would never stand in court. Every Federal and State Court has ruled against banning "Assault Rifles". You word it that way it won't pass the muster. It was meant to fail from the very beginning. Someone is just trying to get votes.

Now, word it like this. "AR-15/AK-47 and their various clones" has been upheld in every upper Federal Court. There a few States and Cities that have that law in place. I will not say whether I agree nor disagree but that's the way the law works.
Actually, it was a proposal to amend the Florida constitution via referendum – a 60 percent vote in favor would be needed for the amendment to pass.

The challenge is to word amendment proposals so they’d fit on a ballot and be understood by the average voter.

Otherwise, yes – AWBs have been upheld in the lower courts, the Supreme Court refusing to hear such a case.

Of course, that an amendment or measure is bad law doesn’t make it un-Constitutional – although Constitutional, AWBs are bad law.

It’s possible the conservative Florida supreme court rejected the proposed amendment because they feared it might pass, hiding their opposition behind the façade of ‘misleading language.’

I've read the OP, but not the replies, however, the term "assault rifle" is absurd. The individual word, "assault," simply means....attack someone. Any item you have in your hand, from a knife to a hammer or screwdriver, becomes an assault weapon in a criminal's hands.
Technically, an old-fashioned flintlock rifle becomes an "assault rifle" when used against someone.
This push by the left to list semi-automatic rifles with magazines (I guess now they've tried to include guns with rifled barrels in the mix, which means all firearms manufactured since the 15th century) as illegal is because Marxist nations like China, North Korea, Vietnam and Cuba, et cetera, have publicly stated that guns in the hands of American citizens is a problem. Their ideology has infiltrated our public educational system, MSM and Hollywood and as they see it rising, don't want the American public to rise up and actually fight against it; just be taken over by their ideology; no matter that it's always been a colossal failure in innovation and public freedoms.
What’s absurd is this post – it’s as idiotic as it is ridiculous and wrong.

Actually, it was a proposal to amend the Florida constitution via referendum – a 60 percent vote in favor would be needed for the amendment to pass.

The challenge is to word amendment proposals so they’d fit on a ballot and be understood by the average voter.

Otherwise, yes – AWBs have been upheld in the lower courts, the Supreme Court refusing to hear such a case.

Of course, that an amendment or measure is bad law doesn’t make it un-Constitutional – although Constitutional, AWBs are bad law.

It’s possible the conservative Florida supreme court rejected the proposed amendment because they feared it might pass, hiding their opposition behind the façade of ‘misleading language.’

It gets rejected in other places because of the Wording. Exactly what IS an Assault Rifle? It's too broad a statement. It can be interpreted to mean almost any clip fed (don't you gunnutters love that word) rifle made that is a semi auto. The ones that stick are the ones that are very specific with the wording "AR-15/AK-47 and their various clones". Not once has a bill or any kind been left standing that uses the word "Assault Rifle" in it's wording. I still hold that whomever wrote it never intended it to be accepted and was catering to the anti gun crowd for votes.

Thank GOD that corrupt closet case meth head Gillam didn’t win Governor of Florida.

I was always under the impression that an "assault weapon" was one which could be toggled from sem-automatic mode into automatic mode and back...

Forum List

Back