Assault rifles for self defense

Assault rifles for self defense -

Real world examples of this happening in the U.S. when the person using the weapon for self defense is -

1. Not acting as a government agent nor using a weapon issued to him/her by the government
2. Not acting as a trained private security guard.
3. Not defending a criminal enterprise.

Any?

Watts riots, L.A. riots, OWS riots, Hurricane Katrina riots.... shall I continue, or are you now rightfully embarrassed by your very ignorant post? :)

Korean store owners in Los Angeles put their assault rifles to good use during the riots that occurred after the Rodney King verdict. They did the community a favor by putting a healthy number of thugs in the ground.

Assault rifles for self defense? I guess it would make sense if there was such a thing as an assault rifle... Unfortunately, the term assault rifle is as fictitious as the belief that banning Law abiding citizens guns will actually stop gun crimes.

I would say that an M16 or AK74 are designed for assault. They are fully automatic and designed for combat.

{ "Another source of power in government is a military force. But this, to be efficient, must be superior to any force that axists among the people, or which they can command; for otherwise this force would be annihilated, on the first exercise of acts of oppression. Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive."

- Noah Webster An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, Philadelphia, 1787 }

It still doesn't change the fact that the term assault rifle was manufactured by gun grabbing zealots.

Actually no. It was coined by the germans in their STG 44, or Sturmgewehr (storm rifle) which means assault rifle.

"Assault rifle" was a translation of the German name of the original they developed tword the end of WWII and became known as a rifle chambered for an intermediate (between pistol and rifle) powered round that was capable of full auto (more than one round per trigger pull) fire.

AR 15= Armalite 15

Thanks for the info. After Colt bought Armalite, they internally designated the product "Assault Rifle, Model 15." The "M" series were "Military," yet an M1 and M14 are not generally considered "assault weapons." (because they don't look scary to the left.)

Go figure...

It still doesn't change the fact that the term assault rifle was manufactured by gun grabbing zealots.
The word assault means one thing to the military mentality and something else to the average timid civilian whose singular idea of self-defense is to dial 911. So it probably didn't occur to the Pentagon official, probably some salty old general, who drafted the specifications for a light, full-auto combat rifle (possibly inspired by the AK-47), that the legal definition of assault would galvanize the anti-gun mentality by imparting a criminal connotation to a specific type of weapon.

There's a third definition, which is all that really matters, and that's the legal definition.

The word assault means one thing to the military mentality and something else to the average timid civilian whose singular idea of self-defense is to dial 911. So it probably didn't occur to the Pentagon official, probably some salty old general, who drafted the specifications for a light, full-auto combat rifle (possibly inspired by the AK-47), that the legal definition of assault would galvanize the anti-gun mentality by imparting a criminal connotation to a specific type of weapon.

There's a third definition, which is all that really matters, and that's the legal definition.

There is no legal definition of the term "assault weapon."

"Assault rifle" was a translation of the German name of the original they developed tword the end of WWII and became known as a rifle chambered for an intermediate (between pistol and rifle) powered round that was capable of full auto (more than one round per trigger pull) fire.
Actually, sturmgewehr translates from German to storm rifle. (Angrief is the German word for assault.)

The term assault rifle is an arbitrary American/English designation.

Last edited:

I'm not so sure.

The AR-15 is one of the more popular civilian rifles on the market - Colt (Armalite) designated this "Assault Rifle, Model 15" in 1959. Basically the civilian version of the M16 that they were trying (at the time) to get the Army to adopt. I don't think Colt is a group of gun grabbing zealots.

I offered the Noah Webster quote to support why civilians SHOULD have assault rifles. Liberty depends on the people being a superior military force to anything the government can muster.

You do know that the AR in AR-15, or AR-10 for that matter, does NOT stand for Assault Rifle right? It stands for the original company's name that invented them, Armalite who sold the rights of the name to Colt in 59 or 60?

Try this one.
Son Uses Dad’s AR-15 To Defend Home
Son Uses Dad’s AR-15 To Defend Home (2010) | Guns Save Lives

You did just ask for one, right? Question answered.

That's not an assault rifle.

The "Assault Rifle - 15" isn't an assault rifle?

You leftists are a hoot.

Words mean whatever you choose them to mean at any particular moment...

It NOT an Assault Rifle-15 it's an ArmaLite-15. The AR does NOT designate Assault Rifle, it means Aramlite-15.

I'm not so sure.

The AR-15 is one of the more popular civilian rifles on the market - Colt (Armalite) designated this "Assault Rifle, Model 15" in 1959. Basically the civilian version of the M16 that they were trying (at the time) to get the Army to adopt. I don't think Colt is a group of gun grabbing zealots.

I offered the Noah Webster quote to support why civilians SHOULD have assault rifles. Liberty depends on the people being a superior military force to anything the government can muster.

You do know that the AR in AR-15, or AR-10 for that matter, does NOT stand for Assault Rifle right? It stands for the original company's name that invented them, Armalite who sold the rights of the name to Colt in 59 or 60?

You notice I put Armalite in the message?

But Colt DID internally call that series "Assault Rifle." Somewhere along the line, we let the left make the term a dirty word. Every American who is of sound mind and body, should have an assault rifle, and know how to use it,

Tanks, planes, mortars, etc. are instruments of government, the tools of oppression. A rifle is the tool of liberty, the means of patriots to defend and assert liberty. We must NEVER be ashamed to hold our rifles and declare them for what they are, the means and the symbol of our liberty.

Whether armed guards in schools is a good or bad idea, I'd like to know if the NRA NaziCons would pony up with gun/ammo taxes to fund it.

I wouldn't care all that much...I don't buy any significant amount of ammo and I do not plan to buy any new guns.

What you consider significant and what the government considers significant might not be the same thing.

I buy little ammo (a box or two a year)...I reload my own.

The anti-gunners call the semi-auto AR-15 an "assault weapon" and Homeland Security calls the select fire (full auto/semi-auto) version a "personal defense" weapon. So is it really a personal defense weapon or an assault weapon?
In the hands of a civilian protecting his family from a local chapter of the gang it is an assault weapon but in the hands of a paramilitary/military force like Homeland Security it becomes a personal defense weapon even though it fires over 600 rounds per minute and has 30 round removable magazines...
Makes a person wonder.

Different places have different ways of looking at things. America will look at things our own way.

In Japan, gun ownership is a privilege, not a right ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

Homeland security and the congress are both parts of the American government. Yet they call weapons by very different names. Civilian AR-15, which only fires one bullet each time you pull the trigger, Is called an "assault weapon" but the military version, which can fire all 30 rounds in the magazine with one pull of the trigger in 3 seconds, a "personal defense weapon". I guess they don't want the American public to know that they requisitioned 7000 ASSAULT WEAPONS so they call them personal defense weapons.

Homeland security and the congress are both parts of the American government. Yet they call weapons by very different names. Civilian AR-15, which only fires one bullet each time you pull the trigger, Is called an "assault weapon" but the military version, which can fire all 30 rounds in the magazine with one pull of the trigger in 3 seconds, a "personal defense weapon". I guess they don't want the American public to know that they requisitioned 7000 ASSAULT WEAPONS so they call them personal defense weapons.

By the time the Feisntein-Obama axis of evil get through, will be lucky if we have the right to bear sling shots.

Americans are pushovers

the military version, which can fire all 30 rounds in the magazine with one pull of the trigger in 3 seconds

Actually, that's not true. The M16 has semiautomatic and 3 round burst options. It doesn't fire unlimited full automatic.

They do still have full autos. But general issue for some time has been with burst. Which no one hardly uses btw.

They do still have full autos. But general issue for some time has been with burst. Which no one hardly uses btw.

The M16A1, which has the ability to fire continuous automatic, is no longer in service. The military now uses the M16A2 and the M4 carbine, which have the three round burst options. Spec Ops often us the M4A1, which are capable of continual automatic fire. But the M4 is a different weapon. Similar, but distinct.

Forum List

Back