Asimov's Foundation

Know nothing about CW networks but the major sources of the big productions need to appeal to diverse audience and you just can't do that anymore with an all white, male dominated cast which ignores the ethnicity of audiences.
Ohhh you mean like West Side Story or In The Heights both of which flopped. Or, maybe the Eternals or No Time to Die which belly flopped.

How much diversity can studios absorb before they go bankrupt?

Ohhh you mean like West Side Story or In The Heights both of which flopped. Or, maybe the Eternals or Eternals has passed $300 million in worldwide which belly flopped.

How much diversity can studios absorb before they go bankrupt?
The new West Side Story, a flop :cuckoo:
A Rotten Tomato Audience Score of 96, good reviews from NY Times, Guardian, Rolling Stones, 3 Golden Globe Awards, AFI Best Film of the Year, and eleven 2022 Critics Award Nominations certain does not indicate a flop.

Researchers at UCLA’s Center for Scholars & Storytellers analyzed over 100 major films released from 2016 to 2019. They found that films ranked below average for diversity take a financial hit at the box office, compared to films ranked above average. Even after accounting for critical acclaim, big-budget films lacking in diversity make about $27 million less on their opening weekend, with a potential loss of $130 million in total. The simple fact is that although most viewers like films that focus on their sociological grouping they also like films with diverse groupings. However, they do not like films that focus on sociological groupings that they not familiar with.

Small budget films in range 10 to 20 million can afford to take aim at specific group but big productions can't.
unfurl="true"]https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/diverse_films_make_more_money_at_the_box_office[/URL]

BTW The Eternals has passed $300 million in worldwide with budget of 200 millions.

Last edited:
The new West Side Story, a flop :cuckoo:
A Rotten Tomato Audience Score of 96, good reviews from NY Times, Guardian, Rolling Stones, 3 Golden Globe Awards, AFI Best Film of the Year, and eleven 2022 Critics Award Nominations certain does not indicate a flop.

Researchers at UCLA’s Center for Scholars & Storytellers analyzed over 100 major films released from 2016 to 2019. They found that films ranked below average for diversity take a financial hit at the box office, compared to films ranked above average. Even after accounting for critical acclaim, big-budget films lacking in diversity make about $27 million less on their opening weekend, with a potential loss of $130 million in total. The simple fact is that although most viewers like films that focus on their sociological grouping they also like films with diverse groupings. However, they do not like films that focus on sociological groupings that they not familiar with.

Small budget films in range 10 to 20 million can afford to take aim at specific group but big productions can't.
unfurl="true"]Diverse Films Make More Money at the Box Office[/URL]

BTW The Eternals has passed $300 million in worldwide with budget of 200 millions.
You don't think something from the Greater Good magazine is propaganda?

I personally rank diversity as a reason to avoid movies or TV shows.

You don't think something from the Greater Good magazine is propaganda?

I personally rank diversity as a reason to avoid movies or TV shows.

what do you consider diversity? And no, it is not a trick question.

Putting black main characters in movies where blacks simply were not present at that level of society is a sign of stupidity. And it is racist.
Taking existing shows and remaking them with all black actors is actual stupidity. They are making an all black Honeymooners. Superman will be black. Batman is black, a black James Bond was floated. Anne Bolyn was black. The entire Bolyn family has been remade as black. The Bridgetons put a wealthy black family into Bon Ton London. A bastardized Chrismas Carol had a black Mrs. Cratchit.

Stupid and suicidal.
I close it down immediately.

Taking existing shows and remaking them with all black actors is actual stupidity. They are making an all black Honeymooners. Superman will be black. Batman is black, a black James Bond was floated. Anne Bolyn was black. The entire Bolyn family has been remade as black. The Bridgetons put a wealthy black family into Bon Ton London. A bastardized Chrismas Carol had a black Mrs. Cratchit.

Stupid and suicidal.

have no problem with honeymooners and Batman would be ok of set in the future, also James Bond is fine as well as he is just a special agent of Britain.

Stupid and suicidal.

It is private business spending private money. If someone wants to invest their money in it, that is their choice and their choice alone.

Is it foolish? Possibly.

Should it be shut down? Absolutely not.

It is private business spending private money. If someone wants to invest their money in it, that is their choice and their choice alone.

Is it foolish? Possibly.

Should it be shut down? Absolutely not.
I exercise my absolute right to allow or shut down anything in my personal sphere.

Good plan. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I think that has been suggested for most of the kinds of discussion.
Entertainment is a business. That is why they call it the Entertainment Business. It is all about money. When you a buy ticket or refuse to, you are casting your vote with the only thing the movie backers care anything about, your money.

There is a lot said about actors and directors making pollical statements with movies. That maybe true for some lower cost productions however, the insane cost of most movies, 100, 200, or 300 million requires the backing of a number of large corporation. They are not interested in making political statement. They are interested in making money and lots of it. Through the producers they determine what kind of movies that are available.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back