As the rest of Europe lives under lockdown, Sweden keeps calm and carries on

MadChemist

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2017

Very interesting.

It has only been in the past couple of days that the death toll has started to increase significantly, rising by a third in a single day on Thursday and Friday, with 92 people now dead and 209 in intensive care. As he announced the tighter restrictions on Friday, the prime minister, Stefan Löfven, warned that the coming weeks and months would be tough.

But he defended the decision not to implement the tighter restrictions seen in Denmark, France and the UK. “We all, as individuals, have to take responsibility. We can’t legislate and ban everything,” he said. “It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.”

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, believes it is counterproductive to bring in the tightest restrictions at too early a stage. “As long as the Swedish epidemic development stays at this level,” he tells the Observer, “I don’t see any big reason to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time.”

It's always good to see another take on the experiment.

I think Italy, France, Spain are in lockdown and their cases are going way way up.....If they turn soon...great.

We'll know something.

But unless Sweden gets really sick...we'll know something else.

It's not too hard for Sweden to close it's borders and the fact that it's winter pretty much all year long makes it easy for the sparse pop to endure lockdown.

Very interesting.

It has only been in the past couple of days that the death toll has started to increase significantly, rising by a third in a single day on Thursday and Friday, with 92 people now dead and 209 in intensive care. As he announced the tighter restrictions on Friday, the prime minister, Stefan Löfven, warned that the coming weeks and months would be tough.

But he defended the decision not to implement the tighter restrictions seen in Denmark, France and the UK. “We all, as individuals, have to take responsibility. We can’t legislate and ban everything,” he said. “It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.”

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, believes it is counterproductive to bring in the tightest restrictions at too early a stage. “As long as the Swedish epidemic development stays at this level,” he tells the Observer, “I don’t see any big reason to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time.”

I think Italy, France, Spain are in lockdown and their cases are going way way up.....If they turn soon...great.

We'll know something.

Interesting point: Individuals have to take responsibility. You can’t legislate and ban everything. It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.

What is the point to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time? In our case, it may have forced us to spend over two trillion dollars we don't have and couldn't afford to spend, and all for a virus that may end up killing a lot of people anyway and will likely come back next year?

It's not too hard for Sweden to close it's borders and the fact that it's winter pretty much all year long makes it easy for the sparse pop to endure lockdown.

I realize that.

I was just posting this to let folks know that there was a different approach being taken.

While I agree with it in some ways, I do think they should be working on some precautions.

Very interesting.

We'll know something.

Interesting point: Individuals have to take responsibility. You can’t legislate and ban everything. It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.

What is the point to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time? In our case, it may have forced us to spend over two trillion dollars we don't have and couldn't afford to spend, and all for a virus that may end up killing a lot of people anyway and will likely come back next year?

Agreed in many ways.

I don't claim to know the right answer.

But if Sweden is doing this and they don't become Spain or Italy...what have we learned.

I didn't read the article enough to find out if they were testing a lot of people.

Very interesting.

We'll know something.

Does that mean I'm going to get $2400 from the government next year too?

I mean, assuming there still is a government left.

:auiqs.jpg:

Should America follow basically EVERYTHING that Sweden does OP?

Why are you asking me ?

This thread is about a different take.

There are clearly two ends of the spectrum on this board regarding our response. I've already said, I don't know the correct answer.

This is simply showing you that there is a different approach. I have not advocated it nor have I been critical of it.

I made it visible.

Does that help ?

Keep in mind that the United States of America is based on the Constitution and the guaranteed freedoms listed in the first ten Amendments aka the Bill of Rights. No other country in the world can claim guaranteed listed freedoms. The point is that Sweden can impose what amounts to martial law and nobody will blink a frosty eye. The same goes for Italy and even the U.K. Americans might agree to certain government restrictions but they won't stand for total lockdown.

Keep in mind that the United States of America is based on the Constitution and the guaranteed freedoms listed in the first ten Amendments aka the Bill of Rights. No other country in the world can claim guaranteed listed freedoms. The point is that Sweden can impose what amounts to martial law and nobody will blink a frosty eye. The same goes for Italy and even the U.K. Americans might agree to certain government restrictions but they won't stand for total lockdown.

From what I can tell, the OP is just providing a different POV. Not his/hers...just an example.

What does your post have to do with it ?

I can't argue your point, but right now, their government isn't doing what it could and ours is doing what it should be allowed to do.

Sweden statistics from WorldOMeters

1585543665376.png

Should America follow basically EVERYTHING that Sweden does OP?

Why are you asking me ?

This thread is about a different take.

There are clearly two ends of the spectrum on this board regarding our response. I've already said, I don't know the correct answer.

This is simply showing you that there is a different approach. I have not advocated it nor have I been critical of it.

I made it visible.

Does that help ?
this is a propaganda forum. Neutral positions are not allowed

This is a propaganda forum. Neutral positions are not allowed

Sweden is pulling ahead of Norway and Finland in terms of proportionate deaths.

Only a couple of data points.

Very interesting.

We'll know something.

Other than merrykinnz being geographically challenged what makes one think this goes away and seasons have anything to do with it ? If you never leave you can't come back

Findlands numbers are very low.

Norway has more cases than Sweden (adjusted for population).

But Sweden has more deaths.

The gaps are not huge, but they do exist.

Don't know if Sweden has changed it's tune.

1585919146110.png

1585919226182.png

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz

Very interesting.

We'll know something.

Sweden is run by a King, not by NWO bitches like Merkel, Putin, Erdogan, Macron & Co

Forum List

Back