Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

And the maker of the green quilt also does pink...
A2Q110511-01CP.jpg

A2Q110511-08CP.jpg

Oh, my, and not only the piecing she does, but also her use of everything good--value, organization, color, and immersion into a theme that is so awesome.
I am so inspired!
More here: Addicted To Quilts

Oh, I'd like to replicate every quilt posted... so many truly wonderful things in the works of American, Australian, Canadian, British, French, Irish, German, Nederlander, Austrian, Swiss quilters... and so many more. So many unknowns doing such glamorous things these days!
1493228621564-20170404_483913_15349_hero.jpg
upstairs-w900.jpg
OIP._IVNeTQ2DmhEI4wftYnLoAHaHa
OIP.kApSxm2ptPlyzbp9A19zsgHaEK

Whether simple or full of intrigue, Kudos to those who work in such beauty, even when monochromatic breaks out a new avenue of inspiration, simplicity, and sighs of beholders enjoying the eye candy of quilting shows, sharing and caring for recipients of these gems.​

Last edited:
This amazing quilt simply added a border that makes it a world all its own with opposites on the color wheel spinning a magic touch in beautyspeak of needlework taken to a new level
5c5d7967eaaea4f8d53d3b2fdff69aa8.jpg

Crochet is #2 on this girl's agenda, and here's a new stitch called the braided puff stitch, and some how-to videos. The First, in English, Puff Stitches are in a Horizontal Row:

You have the above primer, this is one that can be done now, except since it's in a foreign language (Spanish), you can go back to count at any time to do vertical rows:

This Third one is a 6-point star repeated and starts with a puff stitch first row rather than using slip stitches and single crochet first row for firmness, it uses the puffs themselves.
I bet koshergrl could figure this one out! :)

Last edited:
Here is another approach in English so we can understand it well. It will help you with video #2.

Zig zag puff stitches:

Last edited:
I was thinking about the outside border on this quilt and went to the source and found this picture, and it seems it may be somewhat textured by another kind of use with a sewing machinem which makes me realize her pattern is worth what is paid to do an exact replica of this lovely scrap happy star:

While rambling around you tube yesterday, I ran into this pattern and am about 3/4ths finished with this textured hats - I seem to be lost in a world of texture lately. Ho hum!

If you crochet traditionally, this hat is a good way to introduce you to "front post" and "back post." I've seen patterns using front and back posts, but never did one, it was just not easy until I saw the above video, which made learning the process easy as pie. I recommend it!

s-l500365O Origninal.jpg

^^found this quilt online some time ago^^
And was looking for another charity quilt to work on, and thought it would be nice to take this quilt and simplify it for making a baby quilt. I usually do not use too much black in my work, but I chose a piece of very dark fabric I thought was black, but in the light it takes on an indigo, well a bit darker than indigo look, but not quite charcoal, and as I work colors into it, it appears black. I have to admit that yesterday, I went looking for a blue as beautiful as the one above, but couldn't find that exact color except a close solid but not one with lights and darks like the above one, which could be flower petals all tossed together. Anyhow, I did some measuring and looking at that quilt, and remembered that I had a tub full of 2.5" cotton quilt fabric cuts the width of materials, with the hopes that I'd quit doing logs and go for a 9-patch fling. Never happened. OK once I did a 9-patch, maybe twice, but it just doesn't light my fire the way working log cabin blocks does. But I like to do something like the above anyhow, so in the next frame, I will show how I arranged the lady's blocks. Oh, and I threw in a dark middle from 2" cuts for the centers, and the blocks had to be cut 6 inches after I measured the width of the 3-block. I did 7 wide squares and 7 rows of the 11 rows I will be making for a small child or senior quilt. If a senior gets it they will be amused to see little prints of stuffed animals and toys and stuff. <giggle>
My "parts are below in thumbnails as I sliced and diced the picture all up to get an idea what a smaller quilt could be (using edit in pictures):

s-l500365D 7x15.jpg
s-l500365C.jpg
s-l500365A.jpg

This last picture just shows I made the quilt smaller, but when I made such large squares, to make them toddler child sized or wheelchair, you have to downsize, and I didn't want them wider than say, 42" with border. I'll be fortunate to achieve that and will have to cut way down on the beautiful, elaborate border the unknown maker constructed to make her amazing quilt. Mine's not quite as breath taking, but I'm not even done with the middle. I have four more rows to make it 7 blocks by 11 blocks, and have the blocks all done, I just got tired after working the morning away, oh, and I forgot to eat and drink anything today. :rolleyes: I think I worked about 10 hours, and I really stuck to it. I tried to leave, but it was like I had to cut this strip, and while at it, sew 3 more blocks, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes I'm just glued to the sewing chair seat.​

I just fell in love with this quilt, and after I get done with the 2 I'm working on, this is it.
*sigh* Too little time, too many quilts!

Granny Square Quilt top.jpg

Can't wait to get started on this one. I just drew up a 3x5 card
I may not use the black, gray and whites. I have enough
mustards/yellows, hot pinks, limes, and aquas to do the 5-patch areas on point.​

Disappearing Nine Patch quilt: First make 5" squares nine-patch.
OIP.V0DYFFbYcIadft08-IGo2AHaFZ

2. Cut the nine patch block into 4 blocks by disecting in the exact center north-south and again in the east-west directional center:
OIP.L1kS3TRZtYA5R5aRUSCC8AHaFj

Then, you take the new blocks and set them in this fashion and sew together again as below:
OIP.uba1sa0PhU4wFwMeEbetHgHaFj

The blocks will be about 12 or 13" square.

Arrange 12 squares 3 across and 4 down OR
Arrange 20 squares 4 across and 5 down.​

Video:

Last edited:
Give me two! :)

Great job! Looks awesome!
Thanks, Hannah, and welcome to USMB. I see you haven't been here long, so I hope you find things you enjoy about the board. When you get tired of duking it out on political junk, we have shelter places that are more resemblant to the real world than silly city politics in which we bash each other's brains out for the certainty we are correct, when actually, we have people willing to do anything to destroy the Constitution, because they can't feel what the founders felt when denied basic human acknowledgment from thousands of miles away. Sometimes the best we can do out there is to bite our nails, then try to leave enough for a nail file to smooth out the rough places. Charity quilting is my refuge from the fray that I cannot even influence on my best days. You get used to it. There's also threads on poetry, or you can start your own writing path in the "Writing" under the "hobbies" forums, also share music you're listening to by transferring videos from youtube. I'm not sure that if music is your forte if you can transfer stuff you're singing, and you might not want to if you haven't copyrighted it at the Library of Congress, USA. I don't write books anymore, so I don't have the need any longer, and my 2-year-old, never been used copier sits there because the instructions are so tiny my old eyes cannot see the instructional print that was reduced to a smaller size than 3x5 cards. That's pinching the penny until the customer says "no more," imho, and I'm not buying any more dust-collectors from them. /flimsy excuses :D

My half-hex template for cutting jelly rolls (I hope!) arrived in the mail, and I just now opened it up and it looks like it finishes 2.5", not cuts that way, but where is a ruler when you need one? lol

I don't care. I'll do what I have to do in order to do some of the fun stuff I found to do with a half-hex template online. I'll show some pics below:
_ _A Half Hex Template set.jpg
_ Half Hex Mini Hexagonal quilt.jpg

_ Half Hex blues quilt.jpg

Oh, this is good. It's a half-hex, tesselated pinwheel. I'd never have guessed it did I not see the picture below!
3724092535_bced944578_b.jpg

Now, we'll have to think up a way to make this snap, crackle, pop fast! hmmmm.​

Forum List

Back