Around in circles. Is there really any "affordable" personal plans for disabled or self-employed??

R117329

Rookie
Feb 24, 2019
I have been around in circles and I've read so much contradictory information, I don't even know what is right or wrong anymore. It seems like the past 3 years, reality has changed on the fly.

I used to be self employed. I paid $200-$250 a months for decent BCBS insurance back in the 1000s. 80% typical kind of deal. I was in my later 20s & early 30s. Now, in my mid 40's, looking to be self-employed again. I also have a recently disabled wife on in late 30s on SS. They also pay my 3 year old for her disability (his birth caused her a stroke which was a 1-100,000 occurence), and her long term disability from work covers the rest of her %age of lost income. I am paying $1000 a month through my EMPLOYER for me, wife and son. No deductibles, just small copays, the best insurance I have ever seen. Obviously, she and my son could probably get medicare or medicaid? I don't have a clue what it would even entail or cover. All I read is it "sucks." And then there obviously is me looking to go back to running my own company. It seems the policies available to me are a joke.

I almost don't have a specific question. Could anyone just chime in anything they know to be true that may help me in the right direction? Healthcare is my last hurdle to being self-employed again. Those who know more than me, if you were in my shoes, what do you know that I may not?

I have been around in circles and I've read so much contradictory information, I don't even know what is right or wrong anymore. It seems like the past 3 years, reality has changed on the fly.

I used to be self employed. I paid $200-$250 a months for decent BCBS insurance back in the 1000s. 80% typical kind of deal. I was in my later 20s & early 30s. Now, in my mid 40's, looking to be self-employed again. I also have a recently disabled wife on in late 30s on SS. They also pay my 3 year old for her disability (his birth caused her a stroke which was a 1-100,000 occurence), and her long term disability from work covers the rest of her %age of lost income. I am paying $1000 a month through my EMPLOYER for me, wife and son. No deductibles, just small copays, the best insurance I have ever seen. Obviously, she and my son could probably get medicare or medicaid? I don't have a clue what it would even entail or cover. All I read is it "sucks." And then there obviously is me looking to go back to running my own company. It seems the policies available to me are a joke.

I almost don't have a specific question. Could anyone just chime in anything they know to be true that may help me in the right direction? Healthcare is my last hurdle to being self-employed again. Those who know more than me, if you were in my shoes, what do you know that I may not?
The best insurance? How many months do you pay that $1K? You have out of pocket deductibles that when reached you pay no more out of pocket (no more co-pays until the beginning of a new year). Also most major brand insurance companies have patient advocates that will help you.

I pay $1000 a month, 12 months a year for my family, no deductibles. Now my wife qualifies for Medicare or Medicaid whatever difference they are. I am not looking for the best policy, I won't be able to afford a comparable policy to the platinum one I have now. I'm looking to go self employed soon, and need something at least reasonable.

I pay $1000 a month, 12 months a year for my family, no deductibles. Now my wife qualifies for Medicare or Medicaid whatever difference they are. I am not looking for the best policy, I won't be able to afford a comparable policy to the platinum one I have now. I'm looking to go self employed soon, and need something at least reasonable.
Medicare is for people over a certain age (65) unless they have SSDI then it comes into effect two years after the SSDI is awarded, Medicaid is for those under the Medicare age who have limited income (combined income if married).
As for self employed medical.... Sorry, no clue.

Medicare is for people over a certain age (65) unless they have SSDI then it comes into effect two years after the SSDI is awarded, Medicaid is for those under the Medicare age who have limited income (combined income if married).
Thanks. That is helpful. She just won SSDI and it went back retroactive to the injury. I have to figure out what Medicare even has to offer. All i can seem to find is that it sucks.

Thanks. That is helpful. She just won SSDI and it went back retroactive to the injury. I have to figure out what Medicare even has to offer. All i can seem to find is that it sucks.
Depending again on income they take out a little from the SSDI for Medicare, then (if you desire to) you have to pick a prescription plan which has a small monthly cost involved. If you don't pick a drug plan and just stay with regular Medicare then change your mind later you have to pay the total for the drug plan for every month you went without........ Or you can opt for a Medicare plan that includes drug coverage and has a monthly plan charge from nothing up to whatever depending on income.

Different types of Medicare health plans | Medicare

Forum List

Back