Arizona: Teachers Can Have Accents and Use Bad Grammar

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
It's not how you speak English – it's about whether you know it at all.

That was the final word out of Arizona, where the state and two federal agencies reached a settlement over an allegation that the state was discriminating against teachers who may have thick accents or use bad grammar when teaching English-immersion classes.

The Arizona Capitol Times reports that the settlement reached by the state Department of Education will have the state consider only whether teachers are fluent, not how they speak the language.

The Capitol Times reports that a Friday letter says that the settlement ends separate investigations by the U.S. Departments of Justice and Education.

The agencies alleged that application of a state law requiring English teachers to possess a good knowledge of the English language discriminated against Hispanic teachers and students.

Based on reporting by the Associated Press.

Arizona: Teachers Can Have Accents and Use Bad Grammar | Fox News Latino

Maybe it would just be easier to just teach everyone Spanish

I took a basic computer language course to obtain a certificate in Web Design and Technology at a local community college. It was the foundation for learning the other required courses. The instructor was an East Indian and had a very thick accent. He was not able to articulate the terms used in basic computer language well enough that you could listen to his lectures and relate what he said to the terms in the book. I struggled through the whole course and barely passed it after getting outside help. This made the other courses more difficult because I did not have a good foundation of computer programming language. He got paid for instructing the course but the students got short changed by not understanding what he was saying. He was almost as bad as Latka on the TV Show Taxi Cab. I could have done as well, if not better, if I had taken the course on line.

This country is giving away too much and we will pay for it later if not in a couple of years. We WILL have a generation of kids saying shange for change, loove for love, seet for sit, etc. Good luck future generations!!! You will need it.

That was the final word out of Arizona, where the state and two federal agencies reached a settlement over an allegation that the state was discriminating against teachers who may have thick accents or use bad grammar when teaching English-immersion classes.

The Arizona Capitol Times reports that the settlement reached by the state Department of Education will have the state consider only whether teachers are fluent, not how they speak the language.

The Capitol Times reports that a Friday letter says that the settlement ends separate investigations by the U.S. Departments of Justice and Education.

The agencies alleged that application of a state law requiring English teachers to possess a good knowledge of the English language discriminated against Hispanic teachers and students.

Do you live in Arizona?

Accents?

So someone with a Southern or Boston accent shouldn't teach in Arizona?

Do you live in Arizona?

I did until last year. I lived in Phoenix for 25 years. Arizona has some of the worst schools in the nation. When my husband and I were considering having children many moons ago we both agreed if we did we would move back to the midwest to raise them. I would never send my child to a Phoenix public school. Midwest or a private school only.

Do you live in Arizona?

Born and raised.

In the 4th grade, my oldest daughter had an East Indian teacher for her class. Her accent was so unintelligible, I had to re-teach her the lesson every evening.

That teacher was one of the reasons we started homeschooling.

Do you live in Arizona?

Born, raised, educated when education meant something!!

Forum List

Back