Arizona Arizona Arizona

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Arizona Legislature Passes Bill Banning Ethnic Studies Programs

After making national headlines for a new law on illegal immigrants, the Arizona Legislature sent Gov. Jan Brewer a bill Thursday that would ban ethnic studies programs in the state that critics say currently advocate separatism and racial preferences.

The bill, which passed 32-26 in the state House, had been approved by the Senate a day earlier. It now goes to Gov. Jan Brewer for her signature.

The new bill would make it illegal for a school district to teach any courses that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government, promote resentment of a particular race or class of people, are designed primarily for students of a particular ethnic group or "advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals."

The bill stipulates that courses can continue to be taught for Native American pupils in compliance with federal law and does not prohibit English as a second language classes. It also does not prohibit the teaching of the Holocaust or other cases of genocide.

Schools that fail to abide by the law would have state funds withheld.

FOXNews.com - Arizona Legislature Passes Bill Banning Ethnic Studies Programs

:clap2:

Did they ban race based clubs in the schools such as Mecha?

What race is Mecha?

MEChA National Webpages

You couldn't just cut-and-past, could you? For christssakes:

The fundamental principles that led to the founding of Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán are found in El Plan de Santa Barbara (EPDSB). The Manifesto of EPDSB sees self-determination for the Chicana and Chicano Chicano and Chicana Movement in El Plan Espiritual de Aztlán (EPEDA). A synopsis of El Plan stipulates:

1) We are Chicanos and Chicanas of Aztlán reclaiming the land of out birth (Chicano and Chicana Nation);

2) Aztlán belongs to indigenous people, who are sovereign and not subject to a foreign culture;

3) We are a union of free pueblos forming a bronze nation;

4) Chicano and Chicana nationalism, as the key in mobilization and organization, is the common denominator to bring consensus to the Chicano and Chicana Movement;

5) Cultural values strengthen our identity as La Familia de La Raza; and

6) EPEDA, as a basic plan of Chicano and Chicana liberation, sought the formation of am independent national political party that would represent the sentiments of the Chicano and Chicana community.

Shouldn't this be written in Spanish? Or Aztlánian? Or Chicanese?

Wow Good law

And Samson - as far as I know "overthrow of the government" is not part of NJ's core curriculum standards. But I do believe "Social Justice" is. Same thing almost. Lol

I love the projecting going on, in here.

Hint: you shouldn't give away your game plan so early.

How is it racist to refuse to promote racism?

Anyone?

Who are you actually arguing with? I haven't seen any liberals in here, trying to make that arguement yet.:cuckoo:

Is this like your protest thread? I never knew you could see the future, Allie.:clap2:

Arizona is one ballsy state. I think it's funny that illegals are already leaving the state to "protest" the law that... would have them leave the state.

Duh?

Well no one can assuse our legislature of sitting on it's hands I suppose. However, it would be nice if our legislature actually did somethiing about education in the state. Having the honor of last in education is something we should not be very proud of here, but as the main person responsible for that honor is now our wonderful Homeland Security Director , you have our deepest apologies. We in Arizona have to wonder if the nation is as comforted as we are with the same person that presided over our state while our borders from the south were nothing but a track meet, as she wathes over the rest of the nations borders. So is this bill a surprise from our legislature, no not at all, I for one am glad to see Arizona try and get back to it's western spirit a little and before all of you who like to place labels on everything jump in here that has nothing to do with race at all. On a side note, thought you would all like to know, our state did resend it's billion dollar invoice to our former Gov. for housing illegal immigrants in our jails, as yet we are still looking for our check!!

Man oh man do the republicans and the tea party want to make sure no Latino votes for any of their candidates.

No this isnt racist, are they going to ban all eruopean history classes too?

Man oh man do the republicans and the tea party want to make sure no Latino votes for any of their candidates.

No this isnt racist, are they going to ban all eruopean history classes too?

Apparently, you did not read the words describing the bill from the previous post. For your convenience, here they are again. I don't see any prohibition of any type of history. Do you?

There is nothing in the bill according to this that specifically undermines the USA. Perhaps this is what you find objectionable?

The bill, which passed 32-26 in the state House, had been approved by the Senate a day earlier. It now goes to Gov. Jan Brewer for her signature.

The new bill would make it illegal for a school district to teach any courses that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government, promote resentment of a particular race or class of people, are designed primarily for students of a particular ethnic group or "advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals."

The bill stipulates that courses can continue to be taught for Native American pupils in compliance with federal law and does not prohibit English as a second language classes. It also does not prohibit the teaching of the Holocaust or other cases of genocide.

Schools that fail to abide by the law would have state funds withheld.

Forum List

Back