Are you Planting a Vegetable Garden this Year?

Eaglewings

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
We usually plant tomatoes and basil... My husband had someone build 2 large raised garden boxes for me so I am going to go crazy and plant many types of vegetables , raspberries and strawberry's this year.

I hope to freeze this year..Canning seems too hard and I am concerned about bacteria getting in..

Let's take pictures of our gardens, and what we do with our vegetables..
Any good ideas out there?

I live in Fla. I am already picking tomatoes. The red peppers aren't ready yet. As far as strawberries we have to plant them in November to harvest in the spring. Nothing better than hand raised vegetables. Did you know that tomatoes require calcium? Mine had funny brown spots, so I researched and it is from calcium deficiency. Save your egg shells and you can also buy calcium in a spray! Fixes that problem.

I live in Fla. I am already picking tomatoes. The red peppers aren't ready yet. As far as strawberries we have to plant them in November to harvest in the spring. Nothing better than hand raised vegetables. Did you know that tomatoes require calcium? Mine had funny brown spots, so I researched and it is from calcium deficiency. Save your egg shells and you can also buy calcium in a spray! Fixes that problem.

Egg shells, how interesting. Is it only tomatoes or would egg shells be good for the whole garden? Thank you..

I make and freeze a huge pot of spaghetti sauce, add all kinds vegetables and us the braun hand mixer to blend them all in..
I have done that since my boys were babies to hide the vegetables..and it worked.

Is it too hot to plant during the summer in Florida?

Take a picture if you want..

we are just getting lettuce spinach and carrots....planting corn and the rest...i prefer to can than to freeze.....cans you just open and toss in pan....except for freezer jams...

one of our asparagus beds is aging out....we need to replant it or plant new crowns in between the old ones and hope the old ones hold out till the news one begin to sprout

Egg shells, how interesting. Is it only tomatoes or would egg shells be good for the whole garden? Thank you..

I make and freeze a huge pot of spaghetti sauce, add all kinds vegetables and us the braun hand mixer to blend them all in..
I have done that since my boys were babies to hide the vegetables..and it worked.

My tomatoes ate in pots out by the pool. I will get a picture next time I go out.

coffee grounds and shredded banana peels are also good for gardens

I just bought 2 basil plants to replace the one I killed and the one I am in the process of killing. My son just planted 2 blue berry plants I'm pretty sure I will somehow manage to kill those too.

I just bought 2 basil plants to replace the one I killed and the one I am in the process of killing. My son just planted 2 blue berry plants I'm pretty sure I will somehow manage to kill those too.

Your blueberries need to be of different varieties. If you planted two of the same, you need to find a third from a different variety.

Your blueberries need to be of different varieties. If you planted two of the same, you need to find a third from a different variety.
Why? ---he wants to know.

They mate. lol I found that out after planting 2 of the same kind of blueberry bush. No blueberries. I was bummed.

I bought big long containers, put them on my deck and planted lettuce, kale, spinach, snap peas, tomatoes, strawberries, green peppers. A squirrel already got my first few strawberries. He was sitting on a stump this morning rubbing his little hands together like he was waiting for more. :laugh:

Don't know who he is but that is just how nature made them. Some apples are like that too.

We usually plant tomatoes and basil... My husband had someone build 2 large raised garden boxes for me so I am going to go crazy and plant many types of vegetables , raspberries and strawberry's this year.

I hope to freeze this year..Canning seems too hard and I am concerned about bacteria getting in..

We run raised beds at the very back of our yard. This will be the second year I try to do some hydroponics, though I've cut back on the number of DWC tubs I'm using. Mainly because I left a few out over the winter and they cracked.

A few shots were taken today of our garden and My hydroponics project. Please excuse the poor image quality. I'm still learning how to use this camera.

It's going to be an awesome year for our Concord grapes.

grapes.JPG

My Hydroponics setup. I'm only doing 7 totes this year.
hydro1.jpg

A shot down the line
hydroline.jpg

One of 7 raised beds
hydroline_1.jpg

Our first rose off this plant.

SolitaryRose.JPG

I need practice with the camera as I was trying to focus on the honey bee. lol
honeybee.jpg

I've been growing a garden for about 30 years and grow much of what we eat. Every year there are new challenges, new successes and new failures. I can, freeze and dehydrate, both what I grow and what I find on sale.

These pics are from last years garden at the height of the season.

beans, potatoes (in tires), beets & corn......

On the other side of the corn is cukes on the crib springs and more beans

Damn squirrels got most of my corn :banghead:

We do every year. Started over 25 years ago and now my daughter helps out with the chores. We grow thyme, lavender, tomato's, carrots (her favorite) potato's, and squash. We are also trying to grow goldenseal as a cash crop but so far no joy on that.

Well, harvested the grapes today. Last year, we yielded approx. 15 lbs of grapes.

This year, we're well over 50 lbs.

The bucket on the left is a 6 gallon and the other two are 5 gallons.

The peppers and tomatoes in the middle bucket are sitting on top of grapes.

I also have managed to pull in about 8 pounds of basil! lol

2017_grapes.jpg

Okay, so the wife went an looked up the conversion. They claim that for every pint of jelly, you need one pound of grapes.

We now have 75 pints of jelly.

22141004_1482083678495732_3882960566365901982_n.jpg

Forum List

Back