Are you only able to work 15 hours a week if your collecting full retirement SS checks and you've been self-employed since 1995

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
My husband is fully retirement next year and he has been self-employed since 1995, and he is only allowed to work 15 hours in a week. That doesn't seem right to me.

Will the hours worked still be working for himself, self employed, or will it be working for someone else?

My husband is fully retirement next year and he has been self-employed since 1995, and he is only allowed to work 15 hours in a week. That doesn't seem right to me.
If he is already drawing social then he can make this year:

In 2022, if you’re under full retirement age, the annual earnings limit is $19,560. If you will reach full retirement age in 2022, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $51,960.

Will the hours worked still be working for himself, self employed, or will it be working for someone else?
He will be working alone with using sub contractors, he is use to working. Self employed.

In 2022, if you’re under full retirement age, the annual earnings limit is $19,560. If you will reach full retirement age in 2022, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $51,960.
That much!! He pays what he owes. There are different for self-employed. He should make as much as he wants.

Last edited:

that's for self-employed, there are different rules for self-employed.

I read you would only work for 15 hours a week if self employed. Thats why people find a regular job.

Self-Employment Rule
The rule is that if you are self-employed, you can receive full benefits for any month in which you Social Security considers you retired. To be considered retired, you must not have earned over the income limit and you must not have performed what Social Security considers substantial services.

The usual test for substantial services is whether you worked in your business more than 45 hours during the month, subject to some exceptions. For instance, if you worked between 15 and 45 hours per month and the work you did could be considered highly skilled, your work could be considered substantial services (more on this below). But if you worked less than 15 hours, in no case will you be considered to have performed substantial services (you are considered retired, period).

Reduction in Social Security Early Retirement for the Self ...

he does construction of homes, its highly skilled.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, I have been working since my full retirement age and drawing social and there is no limit in what I can make from a job.
Full retirement age doesn't mean fully retired. We have many employees that work and are past full retirement age.

If you retire, you don't work.

If you are full retirement age you can collect your full Social Security retirement and work all you want

Full retirement age doesn't mean fully retired. We have many employees that work and are past full retirement age.

If you retire, you don't work.
They work for him, he is self employed.

That right if he retired, he retired, but he can't stop.

Forum List

Back