Are you born with spiritual needs ?

We are all born with spiritual needs, how we fulfill them depends upon what we learn during the course of our lives.

So religion is a choice you make as a factor in fulfilling you spiritual needs?

I think what Dr. Grump is saying is that spiritual needs are not natural or instictive, but learned.

If that's what he's saying, I disagree. I believe that we all have an instinctual longing for something greater than ourselves.

I think what Dr. Grump is saying is that spiritual needs are not natural or instictive, but learned.

If that's what he's saying, I disagree. I believe that we all have an instinctual longing for something greater than ourselves.

An innate "hole" in our soul that makes us long for something larger than ourselves to fill?

Or is it something that you are taught ?

I think all mankind are born with a need to know why, and for all time that need has been filled with different beliefs, superstitions and odd practices that have satisfied that need in man.

It’s a passion among some, something to grab and hold onto, answers for the unknowns in life that satisfy a need for others. Some accept that there are no answers, by or from man at least.

Joseph Campbell had a great serious on PBS years ago called “the power of myth”.
It was amazing how many beliefs, stories and explanations for life were similar throughout time, and seem to transcend all cultures.

Mans way of explaining the unknown, I guess.

I don’t think spiritual is taught, I think religion is taught.

I think all mankind are born with a need to know why, and for all time that need has been filled with different beliefs, superstitions and odd practices that have satisfied that need in man.

It’s a passion among some, something to grab and hold onto, answers for the unknowns in life that satisfy a need for others. Some accept that there are no answers, by or from man at least.

Joseph Campbell had a great serious on PBS years ago called “the power of myth”.
It was amazing how many beliefs, stories and explanations for life were similar throughout time, and seem to transcend all cultures.

Mans way of explaining the unknown, I guess.

I don’t think spiritual is taught, I think religion is taught.

The "why" questions are facinating as are the "who" questions. The anwers to them must be pretty important because people sure argue about them alot.

The "why" questions are facinating as are the "who" questions. The anwers to them must be pretty important because people sure argue about them alot.

Indeed, but are they really answers, or just something to grab onto that feels good, something you can't let go of least yer back to square one?

So religion is a choice you make as a factor in fulfilling you spiritual needs?

Well, when I said we learn it while going through life that can mean a choice, an experience, something we're taught by others or all of that. Everybody scratches their spiritual itch somehow. Some people think about it a lot, others follow their instincts but obviously we are influenced by external factors.

Or is it something that you are taught ?
Man was created with needs, period.
Spiritual needs were/are to be met by God alone.

Man was also given the need to work & he was given the Garden to keep him occupied. He was also given the need for companionship, hence the creation of Eve. I think that about covers it. :)

Most definitely!

Indeed, but are they really answers, or just something to grab onto that feels good, something you can't let go of least yer back to square one?

I'm not really sure but the pursuit of these answers makes life much richer in my opinion.

We are all born with spiritual needs, how we fulfill them depends upon what we learn during the course of our lives.

This has to be one of the best answers I have ever read!!

I would only add that as we grow older if we ignore those needs and don't satisfy them spiritually we turn to other things sometimes in excess to fill up the void.

I'm not really sure but the pursuit of these answers makes life much richer in my opinion.

Oh sure! Without that pursuit we'd just eat sleep an work. Gotta be more to life than that.:banana:

Besides that, if we didn't look for answers we'd still be worshipping the Sun, Moon, Sea and all that stuff.

Forum List

Back