Are you born with spiritual needs ?

"Are you born with spiritual needs ?"

"Or is it something that you are taught ?"

Romans Chapter 1 versus 19,20,21Paul referring to mankind in general, prior to conversion/salvation.

v-19 ....because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
v-20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attribues, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
v-21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and thei foolish heart was darkened.

I would say that the above verses taken from Romans Chapter 1 are very explicit concerning man's spiritual needs, and awareness, right from birth........

Yep, man is a spiritual creature, right from the start, but by his(man) free-will chooses to ignore that God planted/created spiritual sense to consider a greater power/intelligence than himself(man).

Maybe they are too afraid ( or intellectually lazy) to discuss anything else ?

Or possibly they think they are too inteligent to accept a belief in a higher power as it requires a bit of humility, or they may just be angry and turned off to God by overtly religious people that got in their face one too many times?

Romans Chapter 1 versus 19,20,21Paul referring to mankind in general, prior to conversion/salvation.

v-19 ....because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
v-20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attribues, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
v-21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and thei foolish heart was darkened.

I would say that the above verses taken from Romans Chapter 1 are very explicit concerning man's spiritual needs, and awareness, right from birth........

Yep, man is a spiritual creature, right from the start, but by his(man) free-will chooses to ignore that God planted/created spiritual sense to consider a greater power/intelligence than himself(man).

The darkening of man's intellect!!

Or possibly they think they are too inteligent to accept a belief in a higher power as it requires a bit of humility, or they may just be angry and turned off to God by overtly religious people that got in their face one too many times?
Both being too much pride, something that Jesus warns about.

I beieve the Bible teaches that we are born to worship God. In Luke, Jesus says that if we do not worship Him, creation itself would cry out. People look for earthly substitutes for such worship, but they never satisfy the need.

Luke 19

37 As he was now getting near, at the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works which they had seen,

38 saying, "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven, and glory in the highest!"

39 Some of the Pharisees from the multitude said to him, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples!"

40 He answered them, "I tell you that if these were silent, the stones would cry out."

Both being too much pride, something that Jesus warns about.

Yes pride is something we all struggle with. My uncle was a wonderful man, very intelligent, well read with a scientific mind. His whole life he was essentially an athiest. He became ill and underwent an amazing transformation. I believe strongly he's happy now in the afterlife.

We all believe in a God. Some of us believe in a god as a person (or three) and some of us have made Science a god.

I can only say what I heard the first grade teacher, who doesn't find much time for religion reporting on her 'tech lesson' for the kids. Assignment: type a prayer to God, using your own words so that He knows what is most on your mind.

Most went for: 'Bless Mommy and Daddy, even my sister/brother...'

Then there was: "Dear God, please help my mommy and daddy stop fighting, they get mad at me and my brothers and sisters when they fight. I like going to my grandparents, sort of. My grandpa is silly and fun, but my grandma gets angry and hits my grandpa and me. Can you help my mom and dad get along, so grandpa comes and visits our house?"

Yeah, from a young age, there is a need for intervention.

I can only say what I heard the first grade teacher, who doesn't find much time for religion reporting on her 'tech lesson' for the kids. Assignment: type a prayer to God, using your own words so that He knows what is most on your mind.

Most went for: 'Bless Mommy and Daddy, even my sister/brother...'

Then there was: "Dear God, please help my mommy and daddy stop fighting, they get mad at me and my brothers and sisters when they fight. I like going to my grandparents, sort of. My grandpa is silly and fun, but my grandma gets angry and hits my grandpa and me. Can you help my mom and dad get along, so grandpa comes and visits our house?"

Yeah, from a young age, there is a need for intervention.

How sad to be surrounded by so much anger at such a young age.

I think what Dr. Grump is saying is that spiritual needs are not natural or instictive, but learned.

If that's what he's saying, I disagree. I believe that we all have an instinctual longing for something greater than ourselves.

I think that because we're sentient beings, we have a need to explain things... life, death, the reason things happen, our reason for being. I think that spirituality is the natural outgrowth of those needs. And the reason most find those answers in the religion/belief system into which they're born is because those answers begin to resonate when they've been repeated enough. They feel comfy like a soft pair of slippers.

I think that because we're sentient beings, we have a need to explain things... life, death, the reason things happen, our reason for being. I think that spirituality is the natural outgrowth of those needs. And the reason most find those answers in the religion/belief system into which they're born is because those answers begin to resonate when they've been repeated enough. They feel comfy like a soft pair of slippers.

I think we like to think we are more sentinent than we really are. And we're just so damn sure we are right.

Forum List

Back