Are Republicans Gain More Black Votes?

red states rule

May 30, 2006
In the Maryland Senate race, Lt Gov Steele appears to be picking up a bigger share of the black vote.

This will be a pickup for the Republicans in the Senate.

The libs do not like it, and have launched racist attacks on Lt Gov Steele.

Desperate people do desperate things

Hip-hop mogul holds fundraiser for Steele
By Jon Ward
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
August 25, 2006

BALTIMORE -- Hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons said last night that even though many Democrats are not happy that he is supporting the U.S. Senate bid of a Republican, he doesn't care because Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele is at the vanguard of the civil rights movement's last chapter.
"Lots of people don't like that I'm here, but that's all right," said Mr. Simmons at a fundraiser he headlined for Mr. Steele.
Mr. Simmons is a New York impresario who in 2004 helped the Democratic Party register 4 million voters via the Hip Hop Summit Action Network, which he co-founded with Benjamin Chavis, former executive director of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).
He said he supports Mr. Steele because he is "a giver of education and opportunity."
A crowd of about 300 mostly young black people paid $35 to attend the fundraiser with Mr. Simmons at the Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park, where nationally known disc jockey Kid Capri spun records. About 100 people attended a $500 ticket VIP reception beforehand.
"The last leg of the civil rights movement is the economic empowerment step," said Mr. Simmons, who promoted the rap group Run-DMC in the 1980s and has since built a media and clothing empire called Phat Farm. "Some of the things [Mr. Steele] is doing are causing people to pay attention."
He also said Mr. Steele "may live a conservative lifestyle, but he's got an open mind."
Cathy Hughes, founder of Lanham-based Radio One, the seventh-largest national radio conglomerate and the largest aimed at black audiences, was scheduled to attend the fundraiser but could not because of a family illness.
Mr. Steele, seeking to replace retiring five-term Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes, a Democrat, called Mr. Simmons an "inspiration" and a "role model for what economic empowerment can do to create legacy wealth for our children."
Mr. Steele said that creating legacy wealth is the "the definition of the 21st century civil rights movement."
He then criticized both Republicans and Democrats for not doing enough to alleviate poverty in lower-class neighborhoods.
Earlier in the day, Mr. Simmons appeared with Mr. Steele, who also is black, at the Laurel Boys and Girls Club to tell children about the importance of an education.

Mr. Simmons, dressed in a T-shirt, baggy blue jeans and spotless white sneakers, said that he was "going wherever the lieutenant governor tells me to go."
He was accompanied by Mr. Chavis, who also worked for Martin Luther King during the civil rights movement.
"Personally, I'm a Democrat," Mr. Chavis said. "However, I'm here today to stand with Russell Simmons as he stands with the lieutenant governor of Maryland. It appears that Steele's candidacy offers a lot of hope and has inspired the positive aspirations of people in Maryland and across the country.
"This is being watched across the country. People's aspirations are transcending traditional political boundaries. Steele has emerged as an independent thinker."
U.S. Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin, a 10-term congressman, is one of the two leading Democrats running to oppose Mr. Steele in the general election.
Mr. Cardin's chief opponent in the Democratic primary is Kweisi Mfume, a former congressman and also a past president of the NAACP.
Mr. Chavis said he admired Mr. Mfume, whom he called a friend, and wished him well "on the Democratic side."
When asked whom he supports in the general election, Mr. Chavis said, "It's up to the voters."
Several parents at the boys and girls club said they are inclined to vote for Mr. Steele and do not think of him as a Republican, despite attempts by the Maryland Democratic Party to portray him as "a typical Republican in the eyes of voters, as opposed to an African-American candidate," as detailed in an internal party memo.
"Anybody affiliated with the president these days would make me take a second look at what they stand for," said Robin McCormick, 30, of Laurel, who brought her son to see Mr. Simmons and Mr. Steele. "But when I hear [Mr. Steele's] name, that's not what comes to mind."
Mrs. McCormick, a registered Democrat who works for the Department of Agriculture, said Mr. Simmons has "a large amount of influence."
Warren Branch, 33, and Anthony Phillips, 41, of Laurel, grew up in New York City, where Mr. Simmons came to fame, and brought along their sons to the club.
Mr. Simmons "definitely has enough power to be able to influence people," Mr. Branch said. Children "look at him and say, 'He looks just like us. He dresses just like us.'"
Mr. Phillips said he votes as a Democrat, "but if you're going to say something positive, and do it, it doesn't matter if you're Democrat or Republican. ... I don't think Russell Simmons would support somebody who doesn't have the same influences that he does."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20060825-121812-2853r.htm

I'm glad you feel that way. Now you can realize that we will never be able to understand how people could re-elect Nagin or for people to loot the city of all valuables.

(In reference to the other thread)

I bet the looters would have died without the plasma TV's, computers, booze, I pods, and home entertainment systems.

Libs are very desperate right now. Their dreams of regaining their political power is just that - dreams

I bet the looters would have died without the plasma TV's, computers, booze, I pods, and home entertainment systems.

Libs are very desperate right now. Their dreams of regaining their political power is just that - dreams

Before we go any further, how are you so educated on the left side of our political spectrum? Please list all of the degrees, majors/minors, institutes of study, publications(or co/authors), and any other forms of education. Clearly you are an expert, because just about every single post your make involves this format "Libs are......", in which they almost never involve a segment where you state that this is just your opinion, and not proven fact.

Before we go any further, how are you so educated on the left side of our political spectrum? Please list all of the degrees, majors/minors, institutes of study, publications(or co/authors), and any other forms of education. Clearly you are an expert, because just about every single post your make involves this format "Libs are......", in which they almost never involve a segment where you state that this is just your opinion, and not proven fact.

One thing liberals do when they cannot make a counterpoint in a debate, is change the subject.

What has liberalism accomplished?

The "War on Poverty" has pissed through $9 trillion dollars, and according to libs poverty has never been worse

Need more examples?

What has liberalism accomplished?

The "War on Poverty" has pissed through $9 trillion dollars, and according to libs poverty has never been worse

Need more examples?

I didn't ask for your thoughts on liberalism, nor did I ask you for examples. I asked you old you were. Sadly, that was too hard. :D

You still haven't answered my question or Said1's question. You're being very liberal with trying to avoid the question and/or spin the answer.

who are you to demand answers to your questions? who are you to judge these answers should they be given? what does ones age have to do with anything?

who are you to demand answers to your questions? who are you to judge these answers should they be given? what does ones age have to do with anything?

I don't think any of us 'owe' anyone on the web anything regarding background. With that said, when one has an idea of experiences, education, age one can better understand why some posters sound the way they do.

I've been in awe over the past few years, seeing how Natoair, Avatar, and Semper Fi have matured in their thinking, writing, and tone. All were teens or early 20's when the first started. I think Semper just made it into his teens. By the time his is 20, he'll sound like an old man! :laugh:

No one 'owes' but sometimes one will ask, not demand, because they wonder if they are just young. As I noted, while RSR tends to sound a bit over the top for my taste sometimes, :)eek: even though I may agree), he doesn't 'owe' anything to demands, nor should he or anyone be flammed for not giving any.

The person who asked a direct question that is relevant to almost every single post made by RSR.

CharlestonChad

Age is linked with the ability to think logically.
You, nor anyone has the right to 'demand' information from another on the boards. You may ask, they may respond or not.

Flaming which is what you were doing by hounding him to answer on a special thread and carrying it over to other threads, is NOT permitted. Conversation on it STOPS NOW. If he wishes to respond, he will. If not, too bad. You can't control him, so put him on ignore if that suits your purposes.

Age has zippo to do with logic. There are plenty of illogical older than 25 year olds around here and even moreso in the real world.

Forum List

Back