Zone1 Are Blacks overproportionally represented in the media?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Movies, Music Industry, Commercials, etc.? I think there are more Latino Americans then Black Americans, yet they do not have any representation. Im curious about the honest opinion of IM2 and ThomasSowellsFro

In the Hollywood movies, the face of a american or even medieval european knight or princess king or queen is often black. It was even in the 80s when I watched Rocky IV, actually the blonde Dolph Lundgren was the Anti-American Character and the Black American (mentor of Rocky) was the ALL AMERICAN character, I watched other similar movies, where whites are anti-american (german, russian etc.) and Blacks are American. I cannot name those movies now because Im bad at remembering movie titles and names, but yes i saw them. Nowadays in 2022 it is even much more even Scandinavian Gods and Godesses are Black.

But Blacks are only 13% of the population, the latinos are a larger segment of the population.

Sincere Opinions, and Im Pro Black and Anti-Racist fyi

Movies, Music Industry, Commercials, etc.? I think there are more Latino Americans then Black Americans, yet they do not have any representation. Im curious about the honest opinion of IM2 and ThomasSowellsFro

In the Hollywood movies, the face of a american or even medieval european knight or princess king or queen is often black. It was even in the 80s when I watched Rocky IV, actually the blonde Dolph Lundgren was the Anti-American Character and the Black American (mentor of Rocky) was the ALL AMERICAN character, I watched other similar movies, where whites are anti-american (german, russian etc.) and Blacks are American. I cannot name those movies now because Im bad at remembering movie titles and names, but yes i saw them. Nowadays in 2022 it is even much more even Scandinavian Gods and Godesses are Black.

But Blacks are only 13% of the population, the latinos are a larger segment of the population.

In America we have groups of white liberals who have been brainwashed to guilt themselves into frenzy over the ancient treatment of African-Americans to the point of hating their own skin color and mutilating themselves to appear more black. At the upper corporate and political level deluging or saturating American mass media with images of African-Americans engaged in every possible life activity has become very trendy and hip. These white liberals think they can erase history by martyring themselves in the name of African-American rights. In truth, white liberals who have jumped on this wagon are far more racist than any nationalist or conservative American, as these liberals believe ALL black people share a hive mind and could not possibly be unique individuals who identify as Americans FIRST and not at all by the color of their skin. These are but a few of the dire problems we Americans face these days. Confusing, isn't it?

The short answer is 'Yes' at least for TV commercials. All anyone has to do is take a random sample of 10 commercials and count how many of them have Black people in them. I've done the random sampling myself and usually come up with 6 or 7. Never less than 5. If Blacks were proportionately represented, I should be getting no more than 2 since they make up less than 20 percent of the population.

Your question is a good one and this is ONLY about statistical representation and nothing else. But advertisers have other considerations.

The 2020 Census showed that in the US, there are 204.3 million white people, 33.8 million "multi-racial" people, 49.9 million "Other Race" people, 24 million Asian, American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander people, 62.1 million Hispanic or Latino people, and 44.1 million Black or African American people.

In other words, there are 285,389,000 people in the US who are not Black, and 44,100,000 in the US who are black. The ratio of Black people to non-Black people would be in reality, 6.47 non-Black people to every one Black person in a television commercial.

It's just simple math, yo.

It is true that blacks are over-represented in the media and movies, however, so too are redheads. Redheads make up 1% of the world's population, yet in cinema, they make up 32% of those on the screen.
The Academy Awards, run by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts has recently stipulated that if film makers want to be in the running for an Oscar, they have to have various percentages of persons-of-color either in front of the camera, or part of the behind the camera crews.
Personally, the only persons of color that I feel are really marginalized in this country are the Native Americans (American Indians, which, by the way, many of them have said they prefer to be identified as, as they've said that anyone born in the country, regardless of race, is a Native Ameican). I'd like to see many more of them in front of the camera and not as whooping 19th century warriors, riding horses.
The absurdity comes when a person of color plays a historical figure who wasn't a person of color, or vice versa.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
It is true that blacks are over-represented in the media and movies, however, so too are redheads. Redheads make up 1% of the world's population, yet in cinema, they make up 32% of those on the screen.
The Academy Awards, run by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts has recently stipulated that if film makers want to be in the running for an Oscar, they have to have various percentages of persons-of-color either in front of the camera, or part of the behind the camera crews.
Personally, the only persons of color that I feel are really marginalized in this country are the Native Americans (American Indians, which, by the way, many of them have said they prefer to be identified as, as they've said that anyone born in the country, regardless of race, is a Native Ameican). I'd like to see many more of them in front of the camera and not as whooping 19th century warriors, riding horses.
The absurdity comes when a person of color plays a historical figure who wasn't a person of color, or vice versa.

Just some considerations....

They might be 1% of the world population, but they are probably more in america, i talk about hollywood movies, american movies. Redheads are probably more in america, then when you take the whole world into account. Just a consideration, they are still probably way overrepresented, but is there really a difference if it is a white person with blonde hair or a white person with red hair? Whites are the majority in america. Maybe red hair is a white beauty ideal like blacks have their own beauty ideals too, intrablack beauty ideals, but they are still white people....

Im Pro Black and like many Black actors, Movies with Blacks etc... I have absolutely nothing against it... I just wonder from the two posters, here who complain that beauty and mainstream ideals are white, i feel it is the other away around, that the face of the quintessential american is not only white but black AND white, that often the ALL AMERICAN is black, even the President was black, in movies the generals, and important people are black, probably in real life too, but i know it only from movies, thats why i dont think it is correct to complain about white centric beauty ideals, etc. like the two do, my thread is a actually a reply to their threads about how americans view americans to be white, im not american but never viewed blacks as any less american, i dont think americans view blacks as any less american either certainly not in media

The short answer is 'Yes' at least for TV commercials. All anyone has to do is take a random sample of 10 commercials and count how many of them have Black people in them. I've done the random sampling myself and usually come up with 6 or 7. Never less than 5. If Blacks were proportionately represented, I should be getting no more than 2 since they make up less than 20 percent of the population.

Your question is a good one and this is ONLY about statistical representation and nothing else. But advertisers have other considerations.
Elsewhere too. I was at the fabric store to look for a pattern for a men's button down shirt, and in the men's section of the Simplicity pattern catalogue, nearly all the male models were black.

My dollars went elsewhere.

(Besides, the sewing patterns are dumbed down. They used to be more challenging and far more finely designed.)

Mortimer

You say this then ignore the fact that
  • Superman is white
  • Batman is white
  • Spider man is white
  • Ant Man is white
  • Aqua Man is white
  • Iron Man is white
  • X Men are white
  • Neo is white
  • Pinocchio is white
  • Walter White is white
  • Tony Soprano is white
  • Hulk is white
  • Chandler Bing is white
  • Joey Tribbiani is white
  • Lucy Ricardo is white
  • Jean Luc Picard is white
  • Arya Stark is white
  • Peggy Olsen is white
  • Wolverrine is white
  • Wonder Woman is white
  • TinTin is white
  • Rambo is white
  • Robocop is white
  • James Bond is white
  • Gladiator is white
  • Thor is white
  • Heidi is white
  • Sherlock Holmes is white
  • Gandalf is white
  • Ebenezzer Scrooge is white
  • Luke Skywalker is white
  • Dr Spock is white
  • Amy Jellicoe is white
  • Frasier Crane is white
  • Al Sweareger is white
  • Blair Waldorf is white
  • Elizabeth Jennings is white
  • Captain Kirk is white
  • Marty McFly is white
  • Harry Potter is white
  • Bart Simpson is white
  • Homer Simpson is white
  • Marge Simpson is white
  • Dorothy Gale is white
  • Indiana Jones is white
  • Eddard Stark is white
  • Sheldon Cooper is white
  • Daryl Dixon is white
  • Jerry Seinfield is white
  • Archie Bunker is white
  • Han Solo is white
  • Barbie is white
  • The Joker is white
  • The Fonz is white
  • Fred Flinstone is white
  • Ellen Ripley is white
  • Alice in Wonderland is white
  • Austin Powers is white
  • Beavis and Butthead are white
  • Buzz Lightyear is white
  • Jack Sparrow is white
  • Cinderella is white
  • Crullea De Vil is white
  • Dracula is white
  • Frankenstein is white
  • Hannibal Lecter is white
  • Jason Bourne is white
  • Jessica Rabbit is white
  • Popeye is white
  • Princess Leia is white
  • Rocky Balboa is white
  • Snow White is white
  • Tarzan is white
  • The Terminator is white
  • Zorro is white
  • John McClane is white
  • Tyler Durden is white
  • Micheal Corleone is white
  • Don Corleone is white
  • Travic Bickle is white
  • The Bride is white
  • Foresst Gump is white
  • Eliza Doolittle is white
  • Mary Poppins is white
  • Danny Zuko is white
  • Sandy Olsson is white
  • Scarlett O'Hara is white
  • Rhett Butler is white
  • Hermione Granger is white
  • Atticus Finch is white
  • Jane Eyre is white
  • Willy Wonka is white
And all these are fictional characters. So there's no need for them to be white

I only just found that Charlie in Charlie and Chocolate factory was supposed to be black because originally the author, Roald Dahl made Charlie "a little black boy" ? And he also made the Oopma lumpas African pygmies.

main-qimg-3e34fa14ae78a9d170ffc57497a3a2fc-lq

But when it went to screen made them white

Hollywood have pathological love of casting only the biggest, whitest names in acting, that’s par for the course.

Curious how Hollywood never seems to have trouble finding blk actors to play the bad guys. But when it comes to playing the hero, that is suddenly SO difficult. Denzel Washington and Will Smith, are the exception, not the rule.

Mortimer
In the Hollywood movies, the face of a american or even medieval european knight or princess king or queen is often black.

Like who ?

Mortimer
It was even in the 80s when I watched Rocky IV, actually the blonde Dolph Lundgren was the Anti-American Character and the Black American (mentor of Rocky) was the ALL AMERICAN character

Yeah Rocky, the white heavyweight from the streets, rises up and beats Apollo Creed the undefeated heavyweight champion the world......Only in Hollywood

And you do realize that there is actually a statue of Rocky in Philadelphia ?

1656768430422.png

1656768474758.png

Meanwhile Smokin' Joe Frazier, ya know, who was an actual fighter, and a great fighter at that and who is also from Philadelphia. It wasn't until a few years ago after he died, 38 years after he retired that they said "O shit. well we gotta do suttin for him"

1656768631002.png

Mortimer
I watched other similar movies, where whites are anti-american (german, russian etc.) and Blacks are American. I cannot name those movies now because Im bad at remembering movie titles and names, but yes i saw them. Nowadays in 2022 it is even much more even Scandinavian Gods and Godesses are Black. But Blacks are only 13% of the population, the latinos are a larger segment of the population.

White people have no problem playing black characters.

main-qimg-9642e3082af801153d36c5a7d2e92f34
main-qimg-06bd1fe2d6d5054f650c20150e9c8a40-lq

Gods of Egypt (2016) – Gerard Butler, a white actor played Set an Egyptian god.

main-qimg-c5232626be6bdbf25ccef8c5254c4f9e-lq
main-qimg-6114dea18e3b89ee3a99ed986f3b9b6d-lq

Stonewall (2015) – Jeremy Irvine, a white actor, played a “straight-acting” white American gay man who started the Stonewall riots. It was started by Marsha P. Johnson, a Black American trans woman.

main-qimg-a1e3b25dea8ef01fea0f2155725b30bb-lq
main-qimg-d211441a64a6707be7fd18bf1d685830-lq

Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014) – Sigourney Weaver, a white actress played Tuya, the wife of an Egyptian pharaoh, Sethi I.

main-qimg-a51b6abfe6a47b227e7940998c45b132-lq
main-qimg-a3727e7bd8fa1ea2e9101d1f65f5986d-lq

World Trade Center (2006) – William Mapother, a White actor played Sgt Jason Thomas, a Black American.

main-qimg-699d082969ecce6358bd49ee8dd46a6e-lq
main-qimg-9e81fd56f04f693f771fd6a3513a88bb-lq

A Mighty Heart (2007) – Angelina Jolie, a white actress played Marianne Pearl of Afro Cuban descent.

main-qimg-fe8d525fefe1142faa31a68782a6a74f-lq
main-qimg-729ede5ab082fb794556ebc27027816b-lq

Cleopatra (1963) – Elizabeth Taylor, a white actress played Cleopatra, an Egyptian queen.

So, to the blacks here, if indeed blacks have been underrepresented in the past, what is accomplished by them being overrepresented now?

Is this a payback kind of satisfaction for you? A "HA! TAKE THAT!" kind of thing?

And did you hear a single person ever bitch that there weren't enough whites on BET?

MOD EDIT - this does not belong in Zone 1 and begins the derailment.
What actually is the point, beyond the hoped for white genocide that most of you haven't the balls to admit here on USMB that you're thinking is going to fulfill all your wet dreams?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, to the blacks here, if indeed blacks have been underrepresented in the past, what is accomplished by them being overrepresented now?

Is this a payback kind of satisfaction for you? A "HA! TAKE THAT!" kind of thing?

And did you hear a single person ever bitch that there weren't enough whites on BET?

What actually is the point, beyond the hoped for white genocide that most of you haven't the balls to admit here on USMB that you're thinking is going to fulfill all your wet dreams?

To be fair, white people are far overrepresented in the field of hip hop artists and NAACP presidents.. :laughing0301:

1656770257444.png

1656770300517.png

Yes, I’ve heard comments from blacks saying “about time you know what it feels like” and stuff like that.

You don’t eliminate any remaining racism against blacks by perpetrating it against whites, nor do you make any progress yelling “waaaacist” if someone points it out. Our FORMER Governor, in a last ditch effort to pander to blacks and win the election, proposed a teacher pay scale in which blacks with identical years of experience and educational attainment get a higher salary then whites - and then said anyone objecting to the race-based pay scale is a racist.

Blacks overrepresented, Hispanics underrepresented,.

OhPleaseJustQuit

There is no over-representation but honestly ? I'm not really bothered. No straight man cares about the Oscars and stuff like that.

OhPleaseJustQuit

The chairman of NBC is a white guy called Rob Greenblatt

RobertGreenblatt_1210_AndrewMacPherson.jpg.300x400_q100.jpg

In fact. As of 2022 six companies produce 95% of what Americans read, watch and listen to:
  1. Viacom
  2. CBS Corporation
  3. News Corp
  4. Time Warner
  5. General Electric
  6. Disney
This guy Summer Redstone owns the first two.

sumner_redstone.jpg

Rupert Murdoch

news-corp-rupert-murdoch.jpg

Jeffery Bewes

time-warner-jeffrey-bewkes.jpg

Jeffery Immelt

ge-jeffrey-immelt.jpg

Rob Iger

disney-rob-iger.jpg

In that order – white men all.

So where is this black take over of the media happening ?

• Thanks
Elsewhere too. I was at the fabric store to look for a pattern for a men's button down shirt, and in the men's section of the Simplicity pattern catalogue, nearly all the male models were black.

My dollars went elsewhere.

(Besides, the sewing patterns are dumbed down. They used to be more challenging and far more finely designed.)
I pointed this type of thing out about a month ago, and of course the black racists and white leftists started in with their “raaaascist’ cries. I had pointed out that I walked past about 20 posters in a row at the shopping mall, and every single one was of a black model, and not a single whitey face to be seen.

Sephora and MACYs are particularly racist. Sephora shows ONLY black ads in their windows, and then inside about 6 out of 7 posters are of blacks. MACYs does the same thing with its mailings - the cover shot is of a black woman or a black family 9 times out of 10. The imbalance is just ridiculous.

OhPleaseJustQuit

A white man "Summer Redstone" owns BET

1656770587994.png

The sad part about BET was that it was founded by a black man, Robert L. Johnson, who sold it for about 3 billion dollars. Many US black-owned business, like the hair companies, also sold out to white companies for huge amounts of money…as usual. So BET became nothing more than a modern day minstrel show.

That's why it's hard to find positive images of just regular everyday Black people. This is one of the reasons why I haven’t been watching T.V. much this past year.

This and the fact that every other show seems to be a damn reality program and also pushing the gay - LGTB agenda.

The thing about TV is that if you are a blk person and watch enough of it then you will begin to think of Black Americans in the same way that Whites like you do. You will begin to believe all the propaganda about Foundational Black Americans. All the stereotypes. I've spoke to blk ppl in the UK and they used to say the only programmes that used to get of black Americans were Jerry Springer and Rikki Lake.

Don't need to say anymore about how those programmes showed blk ppl.

One programme I did like (Well not like but I thought was accurate) was "Friends" and ppl used to complain "Why are there hardly any black people on Friends ?" SILENCE !! I like that there were hardly any black people on "Friends" because white ppl don't have blk friends. It was an honest and believable show.

And of course there was the Cosby show? That show was respectable. It showed a married couple, professionals, who are raising decent children. I know the show was squeaky clean but it showed a point, that blacks can be decent, hard-workng, educated people.

White America trashed it as being “too unrealistic.” No way can those people be real. Notice you did not say that about "Leave it to Beaver", "Maude" or "the Partridge Family". Those shows were ” wholesome. ”

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Mortimer

As I said this "Summer Redstone" owns BET

View attachment 665113

The sad part about BET was that it was founded by a black man, Robert L. Johnson, who sold it for about 3 billion dollars. Many US black-owned business, like the hair companies, also sold out to white companies for huge amounts of money…as usual. So BET became nothing more than a modern day minstrel show.

That's why it's hard to find positive images of just regular everyday Black people. This is one of the reasons why I haven’t been watching T.V. much this past year.

This and the fact that every other show seems to be a damn reality program and also pushing the gay - LGTB agenda.

The thing about TV is that if you are a blk person and watch enough of it then you will begin to think of Black Americans in the same way that Whites do. You will begin to believe all the propaganda about Foundational Black Americans. All the stereotypes. I've spoke to blk ppl in the UK and they used to say the only programmes that used to get of black Americans were Jerry Springer and Rikki Lake.

Don't need to say anymore about how those programmes showed blk ppl.

One programme I did like (Well not like but I thought was accurate) was "Friends" and ppl used to complain "Why are there hardly any black people on Friends ?" SILENCE !! I like that there were hardly any black people on "Friends" because white ppl don't have blk friends. It was an honest and believable show.

And of course there was the Cosby show? That show was respectable. It showed a married couple, professionals, who are raising decent children. I know the show was squeaky clean but it showed a point, that blacks can be decent, hard-workng, educated people.

White America trashed it as being “too unrealistic.” No way can those people be real. Notice you did not say that about Leave it to Beaver, Maude or the Partridge Family. Those shows were ” wholesome. ”
WHOOOOOOSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does it matter? How does it affect your life in any way? I think it’s a petty thing to be concerned about.
It would help to know who your response was directed towards.

But as for affecting lives, the blacks want money just for having more pigment and they want me to pay them because I have less pigment.

And some of those on this board have openly advocated for doing away with the white race.

It matters, as they will learn.

Forum List

Back