Are Bernie, Hillary and Donald Too Old for the Job?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Shouldn't age be a factor in evaluating Presidential candidates? Despite advances in geriatrics (and plastic surgery) there is no denying that energy levels start dropping at age 60. Even a marvelous physical specimen like Reagan was largely ineffective in his second term (and look at Bill Clinton today).

The practice of hiding a President's disability (e.g., WW and FDR) is no longer an acceptable option for our Commander in Chief. On the other hand, most of our Presidents under age 50 have made a lot of naive mistakes: The Top Ten: Youngest U.S. Presidents

Personally, I think early 50's is probably the best age: Old enough to have seen a lot of different problems, and young enough to be able to fix them. What do you think?

Last edited:
hiLIARy and Bernie fencing off!

australia-fencing-4_670357c.jpg

Shouldn't age be a factor in evaluating Presidential candidates? Despite advances in geriatrics (and plastic surgery) there is no denying that energy levels start dropping at age 60. Even a marvelous physical specimen like Reagan was largely ineffective in his second term (and look at Bill Clinton today).

The practice of hiding a President's disability (e.g., WW and FDR) is no longer an acceptable option for our Commander in Chief. On the other hand, most of our Presidents under age 50 have made a lot of naive mistakes: The Top Ten: Youngest U.S. Presidents

Personally, I think early 50's is probably the best age: Old enough to have seen a lot of different problems, and young enough to be able to fix them. What do you think?

You can't paint everybody with an arbitrary number. Everyone is not built the same.
I just visited my aunt, who will be 97 this year. She's still sharp.

Presidential campaigning is a marathon and requires a dynamic constitution. If any of these candidates were not up to the rigors of it, we'd see the effects. I haven't seen any "disabilities" to "hide".

Not sure how you get "marvelous physical specimen" out of Ronald Reagan but, fun fact: every president since Nixon has either lived into at least his 90s, or is still living now, or both.

Interestingly, Christie is the only GOP candidate in his 50's (53). He would probably be an ideal candidate if not for the Eastern/Liberal label (unfairly?) placed placed on him by disaffected Conservatives. Getting elected Governor of a Blue State like New Jersey is no small feat, and dealing with Democrat legislatures seldom produces ideal results (e.g., Ronald Reagan).

I wonder if an acceptable GOP ticket might include him and a Conservative Senator as VP?

yea they are.....being president is probably the most stressful job there may be .....there is a reason the ones who go in with dark hair end up with most of it white after only 4 years....the President and VP should have an age limit....

Forum List

Back