Are Americans awkward about sex.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
As the US election approaches, we take a virtual cross-country trip and ask our American friends fundamental questions around Americanness. The third episode of What's Up America focuses on the country's relationship with sex, from the first puritan settlers to the rise of #MeToo and the so-called ‘hookup culture’.

Americans are totally obsessed with sex. In some western cultures, nudity and sex don't elicit a whimper from people disrobing to enter a sauna, bare all or partially all for a sunbathe on the beach onrin the park, and they seem to understand that people experience sexual attraction, have sex, and pair-bond. Americans freak at the sight of a female nipple. We don't seem to understand what happens, physically, for a male and a female to create and birth a baby, and seem to want to keep such things a "dirty" secret. Many Americans seem to want to keep their daughters and sons ignorant of this whole process. There are a lot of "squshiness" and bodily fluids involved.

Many Americans can't seem to turn and face these facts and be honest. What's up with this? If a couple has X amount of children, we know what they did.

• Banned
Americans are totally obsessed with sex. In some western cultures, nudity and sex don't elicit a whimper from people disrobing to enter a sauna, bare all or partially all for a sunbathe on the beach onrin the park, and they seem to understand that people experience sexual attraction, have sex, and pair-bond. Americans freak at the sight of a female nipple. We don't seem to understand what happens, physically, for a male and a female to create and birth a baby, and seem to want to keep such things a "dirty" secret. Many Americans seem to want to keep their daughters and sons ignorant of this whole process. There are a lot of "squshiness" and bodily fluids involved.

Many Americans can't seem to turn and face these facts and be honest. What's up with this? If a couple has X amount of children, we know what they did.

A fair assessment. When I compare European vs American attitudes.

Sex should be reserved for the bedroom , as its no fun watching a male female or male to male hugging each other or messing around in stores. Children have to see it.

As the US election approaches, we take a virtual cross-country trip and ask our American friends fundamental questions around Americanness. The third episode of What's Up America focuses on the country's relationship with sex, from the first puritan settlers to the rise of #MeToo and the so-called ‘hookup culture’.

You always have that class of people who use sex to get what they want yet want to attack those people who used them so they could get what they want, then years later those that have lost their looks and sexd appeal sue and claim they were abused and used to get more money.....I've been through it also yet they got no where.

What is wrong in the US is some people who want to be Puritans are always trying to force their views on society and making the human body a taboo issue.

• Banned
What is wrong in the US is some people who want to be Puritans are always trying to force their views on society and making the human body a taboo issue.

Who’s talking about right or wrong? The issue is different cultural norms and attitudes. Yours being a hangover lingering from Plymouth Rock.

Who’s talking about right or wrong? The issue is different cultural norms and attitudes. Yours being a hangover lingering from Plymouth Rock.
The Victorians were just as ingrained to the Puritans even though they were ran out of England.

The Victorians were just as ingrained to the Puritans even though they were ran out of England.

They were the most debauched ones ever.

Waking up with a strange person in your home is never NOT going to be an awkward experience...

if-i-make-you-breakfast-in-bed.jpg

Sex should be reserved for the bedroom , as its no fun watching a male female or male to male hugging each other or messing around in stores. Children have to see it.
I don't think that it is wrong for children to see adults being affectionate toward each other. We need to celebrate affection, given what we, including children, see of people in relationships, including and especially those who have taken vows in public and many times in religious ceremonies, to love and cherish each other, who hate each other and beat each other up, causing people to flee to shelters or the ER.

Mind that I am not saying that people should have sex in public.

I am old enough to think back to my parents doing the dinner dishes in the 1950s, before dishwashers. My mom washed and my dad dried. They used to stand under the light in the kitchen with the pull chain and neck, my dad with the towel slung over his shoulder. I was a little fart and used to edge myself between them and say "isn't anybody going to kiss me, too"? After my mother died, some 50+ years into their marriage, my father read some personal ads in the Washingtonian Magazine and asked questions. I asked him what he thought of all of these divorces, and his answer was that some people didn't mean what they swear to. He did what he swore to do at the altar of a Catholic Church in New York on a three-day pass from WWII. I made damned sure that he was buried with his wedding ring on his finger because he earned it.

In the 1980's I saw a video recorded at the wishes of a guy who was dying of AIDS. He was emaciated from the disease, wasting away. His same-sex partner sat next to this no-longer sexy figure, and sang to him You Are My Sunshine. The beauty of the flesh had gone. The spirit still totally there.

We have to wade our way through this swamp full of hatred of love, embrace what is totally good in human life, and make sure that the children learn that this is the path to follow.

Recognize the beauty of the couples who passed away of Covid, holding hands, one at least within one minute of the other.

Force their views on society? You mean like schools forcing children to learn about various sexual perversions calling them normal and convincing children that there are 12,321 different genders, which has led to record numbers of children now confused about their gender as they desire to lop off their perfectly normal body parts?

Really? You want to go there?

Bugger off freaks!!

Force their views on society? You mean like schools forcing children to learn about various sexual perversions calling them normal and convincing children that there are 12,321 different genders, which has led to record numbers of children now confused about their gender as they desire to lop off their perfectly normal body parts?

Bugger off freaks!!

What part of any school's lesson plan involves "forcing children to learn about various sexual perversions calling them normal"? What part convinces children about different genders except to note the reality that there are people who are not categorically one or the other with respect to their internal perception of themselves?

Even cisgender people get harassed by the monkey contingent as not being a "real man" or a "real woman." Kids need to know how to deal with this stuff.

Bugger off freaks!!

What part of any school's lesson plan involves "forcing children to learn about various sexual perversions calling them normal"? What part convinces children about different genders except to note the reality that there are people who are not categorically one or the other with respect to their internal perception of themselves?

Even cisgender people get harassed by the monkey contingent as not being a "real man" or a "real woman." Kids need to know how to deal with this stuff.
What part of a school lesson teaches kids to hate those that are gay??? Sunday schools.

I was terrifically awkward when I was in my early twenties.

it seemed that every time I turned around I was tripping and falling into one vagina or another.

Forum List

Back