Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

The ice is very low at present.

N_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice Area

Bad start to the year

Sell your snowshoe stock -- buy Zodiac inflatables. The fishing's gonna be great this year.. I'm opening a year round floating Baskin Robbins up about the 86th parallel.. The Ruskies will love it..

More evidence of global warming...

Arctic Sea Ice Max Hits Record Lows Again
March 29, 2016 - For the second straight year, maximum Arctic sea ice levels are at the lowest levels ever recorded. The new numbers were announced Monday by the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), and NASA.
At its peak, the Arctic ice covered an average of 14.52 million square kilometers. That is a bit less than last year's record low of 14.54 million square kilometers. “The Arctic is in crisis," according to Ted Scambos, NSIDC lead scientist. "...significant changes that will reshape the climate, ecosystem, coastline (erosion), and human activity in the Arctic are underway." Scambos told VOA, "...it is happening at a very fast pace - really in just the last 15 years, for significant changes (but they were detectable in the 1990s), and will proceed at this pace for the next few decades."

Impact likely to extend beyond Arctic

Just exactly how this decrease of ice in the Arctic will affect the world is something the NSIDC is trying to figure out. Warm water from the Atlantic for instance, is a likely reason ice levels were unusually low in the Barents Sea. But some studies suggest that little understood changes in the planet's large circulating water patterns, and what scientists call "decreased heat flux" in the warm Atlantic waters that flow North from the equator could actually reverse the trend of less ice.

100AB5AF-A4D0-4A10-886C-7A89042AC991_w268_r1.jpg

Arctic sea ice was at a record low wintertime maximum extent for the second straight year. At 5.607 million square miles, it is the lowest maximum extent in the satellite record.​

"... decreased heat flux of warm Atlantic waters could lead to a recovery of all Arctic sea ice in the near future,” said NSIDC senior research scientist Julienne Stroeve. “I think it will have more of a winter impact and could lead to a temporary recovery of winter ice extent in the Barents and Kara seas.”

Next measurements in fall

While scientists keep trying to understand how climate change continues to effect sea ice, they will continue to monitor sea ice levels, with the next big benchmark coming in September when NSIDC will measure the sea ice minimum. The Arctic ice minimum has hit its lowest recorded point three times this century, once in 2005, then again in 2007 and 2012.

Arctic Sea Ice Max Hits Record Lows Again

Let us know when you can do this again. This is 1959....

hey, old rock, I like your thread, will you be updating it daily? And will you tel us which day your update is cause the OP mentions something about a 1 day lag?

so seriously, will you update this daily and clarify the 1 day lag, you do know you confuse me easily.

Seriously how many more spam threads do we need on the exact same topic using the exact same source material from

Why don't we ask management here to create a thread with a link to NSIDC that will automatically give us updated extents imagery, say, weekly. Or we could simply allow users to post data from them when significant events occur. Like, record low maximums.

Break out a map, Ian, and have a look at area you're talking about. Spitsbergen is one of the islands of the Svalbard archipelago. Do you have any observations from the other side of Greenland? The Bering Sea? And, if you do, what do you think it means with regard to the current regime of the Arctic's plunging extents and mass?

Break out a map, Ian, and have a look at area you're talking about. Spitsbergen is one of the islands of the Svalbard archipelago. Do you have any observations from the other side of Greenland? The Bering Sea? And, if you do, what do you think it means with regard to the current regime of the Arctic's plunging extents and mass?

Crick, just show us the lab work confirming that a 120PPM increase in CO2 will warm the Arctic enough to melt ice

As per usual you handwave away any evidence that doesn't agree with your bogus coincidental correlation with CO2 over the last four decades. Of which two were considered The Pause.

We don't know what caused the MWP or LIA but supposedly we know that the last 40 years is due to CO2. It reminds me of the contortions that civilization went through to deny that the Earth was not the centre of the universe.

Let me know when you learn what a lead is.

I know what a lead is. Let us know when you have a lead this size at the North Pole again. The ice conditions were similarly sparse in 1958 and 1987. Your constant bleating that the polar ice is melting away is patently ridiculous. The polar ice has been lower several times. You idjits choose to ignore the earlier times in the last century, because they render your meme false.

I know what a lead is. Let us know when you have a lead this size at the North Pole again. The ice conditions were similarly sparse in 1958 and 1987. Your constant bleating that the polar ice is melting away is patently ridiculous. The polar ice has been lower several times. You idjits choose to ignore the earlier times in the last century, because they render your meme false.
Well now, I did not realize there was a real place called the North Pole. As far as I knew, the North Pole is an imaginary place. But, then again, perhaps you have a direct line to Santa.

Well now, I did not realize there was a real place called the North Pole. As far as I knew, the North Pole is an imaginary place. But, then again, perhaps you have a direct line to Santa.

Of course there's a real place called the "North Pole". Leave it to a Flat Earther, such as yourself, to only think in terms of what you can see. No three dimensional thought is allowed I see.

So, according to Ian and Westwall, the actual global data is irrelevant, because they have an anecdote.

But then, when all the data disagrees with you, such cherrypicking is all that's left. Real scientists, of course, understand that how such cherrypicking is a desperate propaganda tactic, not science, which is why all the real scientists ignore deniers.

New Topics

Forum List

Back