April 9, 1865 Lee Surrenders to Grant

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
1649501983837.png

157 years ago today the Army of Northern Virginia surrenders at Appomattox Court House.

"The next time we met was at Appomattox, and the first thing that General Grant said to me when we stepped inside, placing his hand in mine was, Pete, let us have another game of brag, to recall the days that were so pleasant. Great God! I thought to myself, how my heart swells out to such magnanimous touch of humanity. Why do men fight who were born to be brothers?"
-James Longstreet remembers General Grant.

Compensated emancipation is paid for by tariffs.

Slavery was not only wrong but inefficient.

The newly freed slaves set up an independent nation in Florida named New Africa.

No war. Everybody happy.

Last edited:
You sure are confused.

No , you are the one who is selectively forgetful.

Last year's similar thread n this topic produced some revealing posts by libs.

Lol.

And yet it did everywhere in the Western Hemisphere, but here. Thanks to Dishonest Abe.
Lincoln had nothing to do with it

The South overreacted to Lincoln’s election and seceded.
Lincoln was not going to end slavery. He couldn’t if he wanted to. The best Lincoln could have done was stop the expansion into new states

Slavery would have ended on its own over the next 20-30 years and we would have ended up with a version of second class citizenship status for blacks with no vote and limits to where they could live

Slave owners would have been compensated for their lost “property” and the south would have evolved.

Instead, slavery ended in four years and slave owners got nothing

Lol.

And yet it did everywhere in the Western Hemisphere, but here. Thanks to Dishonest Abe.

Not just in the Western Hemisphere, the tremendous leader Casimir the Great freed the black people in Poland in 1347 without war.

This could have been done smoother if Abe would have followed the examples of those who went before him.

1649506228135.png

Not many know that in the prior years to the war Grant was a dirt poor civilian selling firewood on the street to feed his family. Having married into a slave holding family he ended up inheriting a slave. And despite a slave being worth a years wages, and him being dirt poor, he freed the man for nothing.

A few years later Grant would be responsible of an Army of over a million and free 4 million slaves.

Lol.

The confederacy had every intention to become an expansionist power and a net exporter of slaves all for the purpose to preserving the institution. They desired above all else a place to ship their excess slaves as they had depleted much of their soil. They had plans to make slavery last forever. It's debatable if it would been stable but If the Confederacy was allowed to exist they would have invaded Mexico and southward in fairly short order.

The confederacy had every intention to become an expansionist power and a net exporter of slaves all for the purpose to preserving the institution. They desired above all else a place to ship their excess slaves as they had depleted much of their soil. They had plans to make slavery last forever. It's debatable if it would been stable but If the Confederacy was allowed to exist they would have invaded Mexico and southward in fairly short order.

If the army conscripts for the Union had knows that the freed slaves were going to move into northern cities and create Ghetto Culture in the cities they came from, I wonder how enthusiastic they would have been to fight and free the black peopl.

Apparently you don’t Abe offered to ensconce slavery into the Constitution in his first inaugural. He also said if you refuse to pay the tariff we will invade and murder you, which he did.

The war was never about slavery for Abe. It was about money and control.

Forum List

Back