Apple hires the male supervisor from Google Ai, but not the two women who accused Google of racism

$ecular#eckler

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2020
Transient

Bengio left Google last week after 14 years following the company's controversial dismissal of two ethical AI co-leads who reported to him, Timnit Gebru and Margaret Mitchell. Both researchers were staunch advocates for diversity in their field and had separately warned of the dangers of large language models and algorithmic bias. Their firings prompted an internal outcry at the search giant and among the wider AI academic fraternity.

In a statement posted on Facebook in the wake of Gebru's ouster, Bengio said he was stunned and that he stood by Timnit and the rest of his team. Google responded by reorganzing its ethical AI research unit to place Dr. Marian Croak as its lead in February — a move that diminished Bengio's duties, according to Bloomberg.

Somebody call Jesse Jackson, and let him know what's going on, here.

Gebru, who was the technical co-lead of the Ethical AI Team at Google and worked on algorithmic bias and data mining, is a well-known advocate for diversity in technology and is the co-founder of a community of black researchers called Black in AI. She has been a vocal critic of tech companies’ treatment of Black workers and had tweeted veiled criticism about her employer earlier that day.
So what is she doing, now?

I am currently a research scientist at Google in the ethical AI team. Prior to that I did a postdoc at Microsoft Research, New York City in the FATE (Fairness Transparency Accountability and Ethics in AI) group, where I studied algorithmic bias and the ethical implications underlying projects aiming to gain insights from data (see this New York Times article for an example of my work). I received my PhD from the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, studying computer vision under Fei-Fei Li. My thesis pertains to using large scale publicly available images to gain sociological insight, and working on computer vision problems that arise as a result. The Economist, The New York Times and others have covered part of this work. Prior to joining Fei-Fei's lab I worked at Apple designing circuits and signal processing algorithms for various Apple products including the first iPad. I also spent an obligatory year as an entrepreneur (as all Stanford undergrads seem to do). My research was supported by the NSF foundation GRFP fellowship and the Stanford DARE fellowship.

It has been five months since she was terminated from Google, and she doesn't even know to update her lame-ass website. :bigbed:

But respect her for being a brilliant black woman.

Last edited:

Bengio left Google last week after 14 years following the company's controversial dismissal of two ethical AI co-leads who reported to him, Timnit Gebru and Margaret Mitchell. Both researchers were staunch advocates for diversity in their field and had separately warned of the dangers of large language models and algorithmic bias. Their firings prompted an internal outcry at the search giant and among the wider AI academic fraternity.

In a statement posted on Facebook in the wake of Gebru's ouster, Bengio said he was stunned and that he stood by Timnit and the rest of his team. Google responded by reorganzing its ethical AI research unit to place Dr. Marian Croak as its lead in February — a move that diminished Bengio's duties, according to Bloomberg.

Somebody call Jesse Jackson, and let him know what's going on, here.
Would you rather hire a qualified worker who actually works or a couple of rabble rousers who are intent on protest?

New Topics

Forum List

Back