Apologies You'll Never Hear

You learn something new every day. I had never heard the word "hymie" before. I probably don't want to know why Jews would be called this. Wow.

Trent Lott didn't "compliment" Strom Thurmond. The implication of what he said was that the country would be a better place with segregation. You not get that? Well... maybe you do.

You can't possibly be that obtuse. I refuse to believe it.

Nothing obtuse about it.... but maybe you are?? :confused:

Ok, I'll play this game. Can you tell me, verbatim, what Trent Lott said and then tell me why I should consider it a desire for segregation rather than a compliment to a retiring congressman?

What I see in that article is this: Everything he said leads to racism through some amalgamation of twisted logic. States rights means segregation. Complimenting a guy who was a segregationist over 50 years ago is a direct ensdorsement of segregation. The whole thing is a HUGE stretch. The guy said the country would be better off if Thurmond, who they're throwing a party for, had become president. He didn't say why. He didn't make any clarification. That's ALL he said. I take it to mean that he was telling an aged retiree that he would have made a good president, not that the country would be better off with segregation.

What I see in that article is this: Everything he said leads to racism through some amalgamation of twisted logic. States rights means segregation. Complimenting a guy who was a segregationist over 50 years ago is a direct ensdorsement of segregation. The whole thing is a HUGE stretch. The guy said the country would be better off if Thurmond, who they're throwing a party for, had become president. He didn't say why. He didn't make any clarification. That's ALL he said. I take it to mean that he was telling an aged retiree that he would have made a good president, not that the country would be better off with segregation.

By Jillies logic anyone who votes for Robert Byrd is a bigot. Heck, every registered Democrat is a bigot.

I heard about the "Hymie town" comment a year ago when a friend was taking me out to a movie.

However, I wonder what more apologies the right wing community should offer but haven't.

Trent Lott didn't "compliment" Strom Thurmond. The implication of what he said was that the country would be a better place with segregation. You not get that? Well... maybe you do.

Why would it bother you what Lott said? Your Democratic friends like Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson like befriending good 'ol fashion racists like Lious Farrakhan. Hell if Elijah Muhammed himself were still alive today I'm sure Nancy could find him a Chairmanship of a committee.

Nope, your Democratic party doesn't only speak highly of such racists, they actually participate in racist political movements. Whether its Jesse Jackson backing a black girl accusing white boys of rape, Al Sharpton inciting racial tensions from police shootings, or the entire party backing the pro-illegal immigration agenda of 'La Raza', the Dems shouldn't be pointing the finger of racism towards anyone else.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
I heard about the "Hymie town" comment a year ago when a friend was taking me out to a movie.

However, I wonder what more apologies the right wing community should offer but haven't.

That comment, by the Democrat Liberal Jesse Jackson, was several years ago, and we're still waiting for an apology.

Which leads to the ultimate conclusion that why do we demand apologies anyway? ITs not to make a group feel better. It's to make another group look bad. Its political correctness run rampant all over the whole concept of Free Speech. Jesse Jackson could say all white people are dogs. I don't fret because i know he's wrong. Some people might get all worked up about it but he has the right to say it. Just like you should be able to call a Black person a ******, a jew a jew, a mexican a ****, an irishman a mick, a german a kraut, an asian a zipperhead, and so on. Doesnt mean people have to like it. It just means we live in a country where WORDS do not make a person a criminal. Unfortunately, if some in this country had their way, words would make you a criminal.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Why would it bother you what Lott said? Your Democratic friends like Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson like befriending good 'ol fashion racists like Lious Farrakhan. Hell if Elijah Muhammed himself were still alive today I'm sure Nancy could find him a Chairmanship of a committee.

Nope, your Democratic party doesn't only speak highly of such racists, they actually participate in racist political movements. Whether its Jesse Jackson backing a black girl accusing white boys of rape, Al Sharpton inciting racial tensions from police shootings, or the entire party backing the pro-illegal immigration agenda of 'La Raza', the Dems shouldn't be pointing the finger of racism towards anyone else.

Difference between you and me.... I don't care whether someone shares my political party or not. If they say something vile, I'll call them on it.

And trust me... I have no love for race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson. As for Farrakhan, I don't think he has any affiliation with the dem party, but he's an evil, evil dude. And, tough, I'll point the "finger of racism" at anyone who's a racist...whether it's Farrakhan, Sharpton or Lott. Problem with you is you can't or won't look objectively at anyone on the right.

So you were saying? :slap: ;)

Not much of a stretch... given Lotts history too. Voting against the Voting Rights Act, hanging out with the Council of Conservative Citizens AKA the White Citizens' Council, I mean there is a huge list that covers the span of most of his adult life.

Anyway...

"I want to say this about my state. When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

What was Thurmond most famously known for, supporting segregation his whole life, what part of his platform during his presidental run set him most appart from everyone else, again segregation.

So again, exactly what problems wouldn't we have had over all these years if he was elected president, copyright infringment?

Then there was the lame BET interview a couple days later.

"I'm not sure we in America, certainly not white America and the people in the South, fully understood who this man was, the impact he was having on the fabric of this country," he said.

"I have a high appreciation for him being a man of peace, a man that was for nonviolence, a man that did change this country. I made a mistake. And I would vote now for a Martin Luther King holiday."

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/12/16/lott.controversy/index.html

Difference between you and me.... I don't care whether someone shares my political party or not. If they say something vile, I'll call them on it.
Funny, you don't seem to call out any one of the Dems pointed out in the orignal post. All you do is attack the Republicans.

Funny, you don't seem to call out any one of the Dems pointed out in the orignal post. All you do is attack the Republicans.

.... because Hobbit was whining about poor Trent. ;)

The other stuff is way old news... been there, done that, got the T-shirt... and besides, I already told you how I feel about those folk.

Now do tell us how you feel about racists like Trent Lott or anti-semites like Mel Gibson.

.... because Hobbit was whining about poor Trent. ;)

The other stuff is way old news... been there, done that, got the T-shirt... and besides, I already told you how I feel about those folk.

Now do tell us how you feel about racists like Trent Lott or anti-semites like Mel Gibson.

I don't know that Lott is a racist. For all I know he could of meant we'd be better off without FDR's welfare state by his statement. But either way he made himself look like an idiot.

I like Mel Gibson, he makes pretty good movies.

I don't support segregation or apartheid, which is why I don't support Federal funding of Israel. Can you say the same?

So Jillian...do you see a difference between Lott stating what he did about Strom Thurman...and the Democratic senators who have stated that Robert Byrd has been the right man for the job at any point in his career?

As I see it...Lott was complimenting Thurman on his birthday...you may be willing to believe that his comment was racist...but as he did not specifically mention race in any way, stretch, or form...it seems a bit unfair, closeminded, attack-dog-esque, etc. to demand the man step down from his position because he MAY have said something that some MAY have interpreted as racist rather than just a guy saying - "I think this man would have made a good president..." during his birthday party...

I completely understand where you are coming from at heart, Jilli...supporting segregationism is wrong...but truthfully - do you not find it a bit ridiculous to expect someone to compliment someone by saying, "I think you've been a great senator, sir...and on your birthday I'd just like to say that aside from your views on segregationism - which you now state you no longer agree with, the way you voted on the last legislation regarding (fill in the blank) and your support of (fill in some random thing)...I think you'd be a great president." ???

Do we have to list everyone's faults when complimenting them for fear that some attack dog is going to insinuate to the media that we really AGREE with those faults because we didn't state it upfront?

I love you, husband - but I do need to say for sake of full disclosure that I don't like the way you didn't pay your credit card bill in college because you were paying your own way and didn't have any money - which resulted in you having a bad credit rating that you had to work off in the first few years of our marriage...and you once got into a fight at a bar because some guy spilled a drink on me and didn't apologize...I thought that was a bit boorish and embarassing...I feel I should tell everyone these things up front so they know that even though I love you - I DO NOT support not paying your bills OR getting into dumb fights when drunk. Good night!!!

Sorry...but I can't see the Lott debacle as anything more than the left-wing desperately throwing out the race card to destroy a republican who they felt had too much power. Note that I'm not saying that Republicans haven't done or tried to do the same thing....but to string up a man for saying that someone was a good senator and would have been a good president at his b-day party seems a bit ludicrous.

If we are to change the tone in Washington, in political debate...etc...we HAVE HAVE HAVE to accept that sometimes people say things that are inappropriate...sometimes people say things that aren't appropriate, but come across that way...and sometimes people say things that aren't inappropriate at all...but coniving, desperate losers really really want to make it out to be... (I'm not calling you that...I think you and many others are falling into the "taking it the wrong way and getting your panties all in a bunch about it" category - I respect where you are coming from - a desire to not encourage segregationists, racists, etc...but really feel that you've taken this one too far.) and just take a deep breath and get over it.

Kerry said something which sounded an awful lot like "the people in the military are stupid," to me - as a military spouse. But I thought what the media and right-wingers tried to do to him was ridiculous...give it a rest...

Hillary Clinton once joked that Ghandi was the guy who worked in the 7-11 down the street....interestingly enough, Democrats didn't demand she step down from her position or not run for president because her comment OBVIOUSLY indicated that she had racist tendencies.

We all need to chill the f*ck out about stupid statements like these - or we could just continue snipping and bickering about them....which will get us absolutely nowhere....

Forum List

Back