AP incorrectly claims scientists praise Gore's movie

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Even seven-year-olds know better then to tell an obvious lie - it's far too easy to get caught. Looks like the AP has a lot of learnin' to do, to get up to that level.

-------------------------------

http://www.epw.senate.gov/pressitem.cfm?party=rep&id=257909

AP INCORRECTLY CLAIMS SCIENTISTS PRAISE GORE’S MOVIE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 27, 2006

The June 27, 2006 Associated Press (AP) article titled “Scientists OK Gore’s Movie for Accuracy” by Seth Borenstein raises some serious questions about AP’s bias and methodology.

AP chose to ignore the scores of scientists who have harshly criticized the science presented in former Vice President Al Gore’s movie “An Inconvenient Truth.”

The AP article quotes Robert Correll, the chairman of the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment group. It appears from the article that Correll has a personal relationship with Gore, having viewed the film at a private screening at the invitation of the former Vice President. In addition, Correll’s reported links as an “affiliate” of a Washington, D.C.-based consulting firm that provides “expert testimony” in trials and his reported sponsorship by the left-leaning Packard Foundation, were not disclosed by AP. See http://www.junkscience.com/feb06.htm

The AP also chose to ignore Gore’s reliance on the now-discredited “hockey stick” by Dr. Michael Mann, which claims that temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere remained relatively stable over 900 years, then spiked upward in the 20th century, and that the 1990’s were the warmest decade in at least 1000 years. Last week’s National Academy of Sciences report dispelled Mann’s often cited claims by reaffirming the existence of both the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age. See Senator Inhofe’s statement on the broken “Hockey Stick.” (http://epw.senate.gov/pressitem.cfm?party=rep&id=257697 )

Gore’s claim that global warming is causing the snows of Mt. Kilimanjaro to disappear has also been debunked by scientific reports. For example, a 2004 study in the journal Nature makes clear that Kilimanjaro is experiencing less snowfall because there’s less moisture in the air due to deforestation around Kilimanjaro.

Here is a sampling of the views of some of the scientific critics of Gore:

Professor Bob Carter, of the Marine Geophysical Laboratory at James Cook University in Australia, on Gore’s film:

"Gore's circumstantial arguments are so weak that they are pathetic. It is simply incredible that they, and his film, are commanding public attention."

"The man is an embarrassment to US science and its many fine practitioners, a lot of whom know (but feel unable to state publicly) that his propaganda crusade is mostly based on junk science." – Bob Carter as quoted in the Canadian Free Press, June 12, 2006

Richard S. Lindzen, the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT, wrote:

“A general characteristic of Mr. Gore's approach is to assiduously ignore the fact that the earth and its climate are dynamic; they are always changing even without any external forcing. To treat all change as something to fear is bad enough; to do so in order to exploit that fear is much worse.” - Lindzen wrote in an op-ed in the June 26, 2006 Wall Street Journal

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Speaking of accuracy and bias...where do the words "All Scientists Praise Al Gore's Movie" appear anywhere in the AP article? I couldn't find them, which means unless someone else can, this renders this author's article as pure bullshit.

I read the AP story, there was a group of scientists that praised Al's movie, the article was a short blurb about their report. It never said there wasn't a debate. It said that this particular group of scientists praised the movie. Where's the so-called bias?

acludem

acludem said:
Speaking of accuracy and bias...where do the words "All Scientists Praise Al Gore's Movie" appear anywhere in the AP article? I couldn't find them, which means unless someone else can, this renders this author's article as pure bullshit.

I read the AP story, there was a group of scientists that praised Al's movie, the article was a short blurb about their report. It never said there wasn't a debate. It said that this particular group of scientists praised the movie. Where's the so-called bias?

acludem

And considering the dude Bob Carter is a geologist, not a climatologist....

Dr Grump said:
And considering the dude Bob Carter is a geologist, not a climatologist....

And considering the history of the world's climate is in rocks, not the sky.

I'm also kind of wondering who these other "scientists" are who don't think the vast majority of the scientific community is correct. You know, sometimes there's a little confusion between real science and science bought and paid for by Exxon/Mobil. :beer:

Its rediculous to suggest a geologist doesn't know anything about the history of climate and you know it. You're both just trying to debunk the point of the article. Have you even seen Al Gore's book? Its a fucking joke. Putting pics from the 1920s next to pics of today doesn't prove jack shit. I'm sure his movie is just an animated version of the same crap.

theHawk said:
Its rediculous to suggest a geologist doesn't know anything about the history of climate and you know it. You're both just trying to debunk the point of the article. Have you even seen Al Gore's book? Its a fucking joke. Putting pics from the 1920s next to pics of today doesn't prove jack shit. I'm sure his movie is just an animated version of the same crap.

I'd still take the word of climatologists over a geologist...

Dr Grump said:
I'd still take the word of climatologists over a geologist...

Then why don't you look up the opinions of the top 100 list of climatologists. A lot of them are very pissed that the headline implies they thought the movie was factual. We're talking 19 guys here, and probably hand picked for the fact that they agree with Gore.

New Topics

Forum List

Back