AP fact checks liberal claims about their wealth envy

Liberty

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2009
colorado
On average, the wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.
The 10 percent of households with the highest incomes pay more than half of all federal taxes. They pay more than 70 percent of federal income taxes, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

FACT CHECK: Are rich taxed less than secretaries? - Yahoo! News

On average, the wealthiest people in America pay a lot more taxes than the middle class or the poor, according to private and government data. They pay at a higher rate, and as a group, they contribute a much larger share of the overall taxes collected by the federal government.
The 10 percent of households with the highest incomes pay more than half of all federal taxes. They pay more than 70 percent of federal income taxes, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Don't tell the libs that their lies have been outed, they will all call their therapists and overload the phone lines.

The top 10% pay a disproportionately high percentage of total tax because they make a disprortionately high percentage of wages. Even if we had a flat tax with no deductions, with income disparity as it is, you would still see statistics such as those; The owners of this country would still take those statistics out of context; and chances are, you'd still fall for it.

Do you take my word for it, or must I break it down mathematically for a third time?

The top 10% pay a disproportionately high percentage of total tax because they make a disprortionately high percentage of wages. Even if we had a flat tax with no deductions, with income disparity as it is, you would still see statistics such as those; The owners of this country would still take those statistics out of context; and chances are, you'd still fall for it.

Do you take my word for it, or must I break it down mathematically for a third time?

I've broken it down mathematically multiple times.

They simply don't care.

yeah but the PRESIDENT and numerous idiots like yourself DO in fact make the claim that the poor or "middle class" pay more which is simply not true.

So then you are saying that the income disparity is a good thing becuase they are paying much more in taxes.

I am curious...what is the offset negative to the income disparity? We see the positive...what is the negative?

Or are you just jealous?

yeah but the PRESIDENT and numerous idiots like yourself DO in fact make the claim that the poor or "middle class" pay more which is simply not true.
I think what's being said most often is that some of the wealthiest Americans are able to exploit loopholes, credits and the lower tax rate associated with unearned income to pay a lower overall rate than others.

that's just a simple fact. It's how Theresa Heinz Kerry payed 12% on tens of millions of dollars.

Why do leftists insist they deserve what they haven't earned?

well...as was evident in that vodeo clip about GPA redistribution...they only want what they dont earn as long as they dont need to give up what they DO earn.

I think what's being said most often is that some of the wealthiest Americans are able to exploit loopholes, credits and the lower tax rate associated with unearned income to pay a lower overall rate than others.

that's just a simple fact. It's how Theresa Heinz Kerry payed 12% on tens of millions of dollars.

There are deductions available to everyone...and yes, some dont get to use them, some opt NOT to use them (some people prefer renting over owning so they dont get to write off mortgage interest)..

But the bottom line is...if the time comes where they can or want to use them, they will be there for them.

And the truth is...if, in fact, it were a valid argument that the "rich" get to use the loop holes...then please explain to me why Obama is using the Buffet argument which, as you know, is BS seeing as Buffet was referring to Cap gains tax and c`omparing it to income tax of his secretary.

I chose to stop having kids after 2...so I only get to write off 2...

If someone has 6 kids......they get to write off 6 kids...

I dont feel that I am at a disadvantage because of it.

So then you are saying that the income disparity is a good thing becuase they are paying much more in taxes.

I am curious...what is the offset negative to the income disparity? We see the positive...what is the negative?

Or are you just jealous?

Now it's a good thing? We're beyond just denying that it's a bad thing; Now you're claiming it's a good thing?

No, when the income gap grows too large, the middle class stops spending and everything sllllooooooooowwwwsss down. If there were more equitable distribution, there'd be new spending and THEN companies could expand and increase profits, increase employment and hence increase the tax base.

A healthy middle class is the single most stabilizing factor in an economy. Nowadays, paycheck-to-paycheck just scraping by, working poor/one setback away from financial disaster is becoming the new norm.

And FYI, I've got nothing to be jealous of, but I am concerned about the degrading middle class because they're the biggest consumer of our products; which are a luxury item, or at least certainly not a commodity by any means.

Not to mention you sound like a pretentious little twit suggesting that I just must be jealous for pointing out a simple mathematical fact.

anyone asute on taxes knows tax rate is not what a person pays and income tax is not the only tax.

Do you have a "Fairness" formula?????

Poor = Zero Taxes
Rich = 250,000> X 36% = Fucked in the Ass

Last edited:

They don't say anything about the top 400 - who paid an average of 17% last year.

And Warren Buffet stills pay tax at a lower rate than his secretary. His secretary is probably well paid - after all, Buffet needs the best he can get and can afford it - but since her income is "ordinary income" it is taxed at a higher rate that most of Buffet's income.

I personally think all income above 1 mil should be taxed at 50% minus whatever you pay in state and local taxes on it.

Last edited:
Yeah Warren Buffet is jealous of all the wealth of traler park republicans.

BUFFET AND OTHER RICH LEFTISTS want to increase taxes because THEY HAVE ALREADY REACHED THE TOP and want those who are working their asses off to get to the top to have a harder time! It's to stifle competition not because they are "nice" people. Truth seeker? Wake the fuck up.

Or are you just jealous?

Now it's a good thing? We're beyond just denying that it's a bad thing; Now you're claiming it's a good thing?

No, when the income gap grows too large, the middle class stops spending and everything sllllooooooooowwwwsss down. If there were more equitable distribution, there'd be new spending and THEN companies could expand and increase profits, increase employment and hence increase the tax base.

A healthy middle class is the single most stabilizing factor in an economy. Nowadays, paycheck-to-paycheck just scraping by, working poor/one setback away from financial disaster is becoming the new norm.

And FYI, I've got nothing to be jealous of, but I am concerned about the degrading middle class because they're the biggest consumer of our products; which are a luxury item, or at least certainly not a commodity by any means.

Not to mention you sound like a pretentious little twit suggesting that I just must be jealous for pointing out a simple mathematical fact.

Pretentious? Maybe.
Little twit?
No...albeit, I likely prompted you calling me that with my little jealous jab.

You and I dont see eye to eye on this at all. I understand the point.....no issue with comprehension. I just dont agree.

For example....

We are a struggling economy right now...yet....did you watch the games this past Sunday? Packed stadiums.....MOSTLY OF MIDDLE CLASS
You see the receipots for movies this past year? Record breakers.....MOSTLY BOUGHT BY THE MIDDLE CLASS.
A new I phone comes out and there is a waiting list....

We are in a recession for a variety of reasons...with the major one being market saturation and quality of product.

As it pertains to "wants"....TV's havent changed over the last 5 years...we have what we want and they last 10 years.....so no one has a reason to buy a new TV.

Appliances have 20 year guarantees now

Cars have 100K mile guarantees.....jeez...remember 1 year or 12K whatever came first?

Personally, I think the muiddle class is doing just fine...with the exception of those that got greedy and went for the ARM's without thinking about what may happen....but that was personal greed that prompted them to go for the ARM.

I could have.....but I refused to gamble with my home.

Read much?

Do you have a "Fairness" formula?????

Poor = Zero Taxes
Rich = 250,000 X .36% = Fucked in the Ass

Everyone is subject to the same tax code, and the rich pay the same amount on their lower brackets as middle class or poor.

No, I don't have a perfect 'Fairness' formula; Nobody does, and not everybody agrees on what constitutes 'fair.' I do think too many people are not subject to any tax at all (exacerbated under Bush's new child tax credits by the way). I also think taxes overall are too low and clearly don't generate enough revenue to run this place.

The $250k oft-cited is misleading as well. A single person, with no deductions, making $250,000.00 on the button has a tax bracket of 33% (for his earnings above $174k). His effective tax rate is actually closer to 25%.

Forum List

Back