AOC says 'a halfway approach' to student-loan forgiveness 'is kind of a waste': 'We can't just pick an arbitrary number'

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Ok AOC, I'll give you a number! How about 'Z-EEEEE-R-OOOOO'?!!!!
How about instead of having the taxpayer pay for your fucking loans, you pay your own fucking bills?!!! God I wish this woman would drive her Tesla off a bridge!!

• AOC wrote on Instagram that student-loan forgiveness can't just be an "arbitrary number."
  • "There are policies where a halfway approach is kind of a waste," she said.
  • Biden is considering $10,000 in relief, and Ocasio-Cortez and some of her colleagues want more.
When it comes to student-loan forgiveness, a Democratic lawmaker thinks President Biden isn't considering a large enough amount.

"People get addicted to splitting things down the middle but there are policies where a halfway approach is kind of a waste as it's not much better than nothing, and resources are better spent elsewhere. We push so that people can actually experience the benefits of a policy," New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wrote on her Instagram story over the weekend, responding to a question about what misperceptions she believes people with more conservative political views have.

"Student loan forgiveness is a good example of this," Ocasio-Cortez added. "We can't just pick an arbitrary number despite so many people wanting to do so. There's an actual level where wealth inequity starts to get reduced."

Oh this topic again. It takes an act of Congress and so far AOC and her buddies aren't really moving anything through the pipeline. Just bitching at Joe with snarky tweets won't cut it. The higher ed act only allows for partial forgiveness for "disadvantaged borrowers" who have "GOOD payment records." Now both those phrases are not clearly defined by the act, but they sure don't mean "everybody".

I am all for cancelling them as part of a broader package to reign in college costs going forward or ending student loans from Uncle Sam completely, either one. However, it needs to be done the LEGAL way through CONGRESS to avoid having the crap drug out forever in the Courts only to start back at square one when the SCOTUS declares the cancellation illegal if Biden does it unilaterally.

AOC is a garden variety Dimocrat, where her sole purpose is to train the citizenry to look to the government for everything!

AOC has an ax to grind as Daddy died leaving her and her mother in abject poverty during a silk purse existence.
She must've thought that it was our Gov't's responsibility to jump in and cover for dead Daddy's negligence!

True, heart wrenching, story!!

Oh this topic again. It takes an act of Congress and so far AOC and her buddies aren't really moving anything through the pipeline. Just bitching at Joe with snarky tweets won't cut it. The higher ed act only allows for partial forgiveness for "disadvantaged borrowers" who have "GOOD payment records." Now both those phrases are not clearly defined by the act, but they sure don't mean "everybody".

I am all for cancelling them as part of a broader package to reign in college costs going forward or ending student loans from Uncle Sam completely, either one. However, it needs to be done the LEGAL way through CONGRESS to avoid having the crap drug out forever in the Courts only to start back at square one when the SCOTUS declares the cancellation illegal if Biden does it unilaterally.

We don't need more debt. We have plenty as it is. The federal government shouldn't contribute ten cents to any loan. Kids and parents need to learn about personal responsibilities.

And (as discussed the past year) what about those people that did pay off their loans? Where's the equity for them? My sister and her two kids just paid off their college loans, and it took them many years to do it. In fact it was one major sticking point for my nephew that caused his divorce. She wanted to start a family and he wanted them to pay off their college loans before buying a house and start having kids.

Disadvantaged borrowers? They're talking about paying off the loans to people making less than 150K a year. I hardly call anybody making 100K a year disadvantaged.

We don't need more debt. We have plenty as it is. The federal government shouldn't contribute ten cents to any loan. Kids and parents need to learn about personal responsibilities.

And (as discussed the past year) what about those people that did pay off their loans? Where's the equity for them? My sister and her two kids just paid off their college loans, and it took them many years to do it. In fact it was one major sticking point for my nephew that caused his divorce. She wanted to start a family and he wanted them to pay off their college loans before buying a house and start having kids.

Disadvantaged borrowers? They're talking about paying off the loans to people making less than 150K a year. I hardly call anybody making 100K a year disadvantaged.

Wonderful for your sister. I paid off my loans too but the reality is that the only people who greatly benefit are those really old people who graduated before income contingent payments were the thing in the early 90's. A great many of the payments for the federal loans since then are going to be discharged even if Biden does absolutely nothing. It is just a matter of whether it is 20 years for people who just did undergraduate or 25 years for people who did grad school.

Wonderful for your sister. I paid off my loans too but the reality is that the only people who greatly benefit are those really old people who graduated before income contingent payments were the thing in the early 90's. A great many of the payments for the federal loans since then are going to be discharged even if Biden does absolutely nothing. It is just a matter of whether it is 20 years for people who just did undergraduate or 25 years for people who did grad school.

Good, then let him do nothing and it goes on their credit score. It's not intend for people over 30 years ago, it's intended for recent graduates to buy their vote. I'm sick of the Communists putting us further and further in the hole to buy votes. It's all they've been doing since they took charge of the House.

I still want to know when they will pay off my mortgage and car for me. I mean I am paying on those from a loan I signed stating I agree to the terms of the loan.

I should get to keep them also because students that get their debt paid off get to keep their education.

Good, then let him do nothing and it goes on their credit score. It's not intend for people over 30 years ago, it's intended for recent graduates to buy their vote. I'm sick of the Communists putting us further and further in the hole to buy votes. It's all they've been doing since they took charge of the House.
Biden isn't going to buy votes even if he does something because the left isn't happy with anything other than that which he cannot legally do---write it all off for everybody. And no it does not go against your credit score. If you pay as agreed it is reported as paid as agreed and then paid in full on your credit. The only thing that happens at the end of that 20 or 25 years is the person has to report the discharged amount as income on their taxes for that year (well if it is after January 1, 2026)

Biden isn't going to buy votes even if he does something because the left isn't happy with anything other than that which he cannot legally do---write it all off for everybody. And no it does not go against your credit score. If you pay as agreed it is reported as paid as agreed and then paid in full on your credit. The only thing that happens at the end of that 20 or 25 years is the person has to report the discharged amount as income on their taxes for that year (well if it is after January 1, 2026)

It sounds to me like they're going to agree to something. How much is anybody's guess. Whatever that amount is will be to buy votes, even if it's only $5,000 per person.

On the other hand I just paid off my auto loan last week. Now if the Democrats came up with a scheme to pay peoples auto loans off in September, I would be very pissed off.

So now they'd have to figure out a way to not piss off the people that spent the last 10 years paying their college loan. A rebate? Could be. If they don't do something for those people, they'll lose just as many votes as they bought.

It sounds to me like they're going to agree to something. How much is anybody's guess. Whatever that amount is will be to buy votes, even if it's only $5,000 per person.

On the other hand I just paid off my auto loan last week. Now if the Democrats came up with a scheme to pay peoples auto loans off in September, I would be very pissed off.

So now they'd have to figure out a way to not piss off the people that spent the last 10 years paying their college loan. A rebate? Could be. If they don't do something for those people, they'll lose just as many votes as they bought.

Well if $10K is an insult, I am guessing $5K would be a bigger insult LOL.

There is one aspect to all this that I am not clear about and have not heard reported. Now if you have overpaid your loans when they do the one-time adjustments this year, you are done and you get a refund of the overpayment amount. That is for current account holders. I have not heard any mention of whether the one-time adjustments would also be made to accounts already paid off and closed and refunds made for over payments on those. It seems like it would be fair to necro old accounts to see if they were overpaid. The one time adjustments are a form of relief but a separate issue. For instance, if you graduated, worked a few years and then went to grad school and then consolidated afterwards, your payments/deferments during that work era will be credited as payment counts toward your 25 years under the consolidated loan. Apparently the record keeping was so shitty when it came to payment histories, a lot of the older borrowers will get the presumption of any doubt. If you were alive a month, you should get a month's payment credit whether you paid or not before 2013 except for those periods when you were in school.

Forum List

Back