Anywhere else here like Anime?

phoenyx

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
Canada
I found one other person in this board that likes them, thought I'd see if anyone else does. For those who aren't aware, Animes are: "a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children."

Some are really only for adults, while others are for the whole family. It's not for everyone, but I've loved anime before I even knew its name: when I was a kid, I loved "The Last Unicorn", not knowing that the animation team had some anime artists in it. If you've never heard of animes, but would like to check one out, let me know and I can try to figure out what type of anime would suit you. Even the famous movie reviewer Roger Ebert likes a few, such as this one:

If you already like animes, I'd like to know what your favourites are and/or a recent anime series that you watched/are watching and you really like, and why. My own list of animes I've seen, as well as the ranks I gave them, can be seen here:
Scott75's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

Yes, phoenix, there are several folks here that like Anime. Probably enough for an active forum.

I am more old-school when it comes to favorites. In no particular order: Macross Plus, Space Battleship Yamato, Patlabor I, II & Wasted XIII, Ghost in the Shell, Bubblegum Crisis 2033, Dirty Pair, Gunsmith Cats, Appleseed, Princess Mononoke etc...

For more recent stuff:
Been recommended to watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure by Pumpkin Row here on USMB. I Recommend Girls und Panzer.

Yes, phoenix, there are several folks here that like Anime. Probably enough for an active forum.

I am more old-school when it comes to favorites. In no particular order: Macross Plus, Space Battleship Yamato, Patlabor I, II & Wasted XIII, Ghost in the Shell, Bubblegum Crisis 2033, Dirty Pair, Gunsmith Cats, Appleseed, Princess Mononoke etc...

For more recent stuff:
Been recommended to watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure by Pumpkin Row here on USMB. I Recommend Girls und Panzer.

Pumpkin Row is the other person on this board that I realized like anime, and thus this thread :). I haven't yet really tried to get into JoJo's either. Of the animes you mention, I loved Ghost in the Shell, as well as Appleseed, Bubblegum Crisis and Princess Mononoke. As to Spaceship Battleship Yamato, I get this feeling like there may have been more then one version of that. I couldn't get into the recent one.. is that all there is?

The one I am most familiar with was the '70's version which here in the states was dubbed and titled "Star Blazers". There is also a live action version that came out about 3 or 4 years ago that I am lukewarm on. (did not care for how the Gamelons were handled) There were 3 seasons of the original anime if I am remembering correctly. Two of those, the Gamelons were the antagonists, the other was the Comet Empire. There may also be a more recent animated version that came out like 2013 and may not be available outside of Japan.

The one I am most familiar with was the '70's version which here in the states was dubbed and titled "Star Blazers". There is also a live action version that came out about 3 or 4 years ago that I am lukewarm on. (did not care for how the Gamelons were handled)

It came out in 2010, never saw it:
Space Battleship Yamato (2010 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There were 3 seasons of the original anime if I am remembering correctly. Two of those, the Gamelons were the antagonists, the other was the Comet Empire. There may also be a more recent animated version that came out like 2013 and may not be available outside of Japan.

Yep, it was in theaters in 2012 and aired on TV in 2013, that's the one I couldn't get into, laugh :p...
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speaking of old animes, one I really started getting into was "Legend of the Galactic Heroes". Then in one episode, the war leader on one side of the conflict was set on killing the emperor's son, I was so angry at him for wanting to do that, I stopped watching the series :p.

Try to chase down the '70's series then. Yes, it is primitive by today's standards, but it was well written and actually had a proper climax in each of the seasons. (which was my gripe about the live action, typical Japanese film: no resolution ending)
Netflix maybe?

Try to chase down the '70's series then. Yes, it is primitive by today's standards, but it was well written and actually had a proper climax in each of the seasons. (which was my gripe about the live action, typical Japanese film: no resolution ending)
Netflix maybe?

Don't think Netflix Canada has it. I went to check just now, but Netflix says it's having "technical difficulties" (to be fair, I'm not sure I've ever had that happen before). I could probably find it elsewhere though :)

Oh, someone actually did it~

My first anime was actually Gundam Wing. I didn't realize it was anime at the time, but when I actually learned what anime was, I actually started watching anime from various countries. Code Lyoko is a really good French anime and Blassreiter is a really good German anime.

Do you guys have specific genres you're into? I like "Moe", "Mecha", and "Action" for the most part.

Do you guys have specific genres you're into? I like "Moe", "Mecha", and "Action" for the most part.

If by "action" you mean martial arts, not much into that. Mecha, yes, very much so. How would you classify GITS? Fantasy, is another favorite, which would cover my Miyazaki likes. Harems are fun, a la Tenchi series.

As I Mentioned in that welcome post where we first broached the subject, my first was Astro-boy, and like you, I had no clue it was anime. I rediscovered the genre later on in college when a Japanese exchange student loaned me a couple of mangas. Being a prolific doodler, my style was very manga-like. A led to B & here we are.

Ha, now you got me reminiscing...

When I used to rent anime VCR from Blockbuster, (remember those turkeys?), most were Manga USA tapes. This was the preview short. Anime & KMFDM? Win/win

If by "action" you mean martial arts, not much into that. Mecha, yes, very much so. How would you classify GITS? Fantasy, is another favorite, which would cover my Miyazaki likes. Harems are fun, a la Tenchi series.

As I Mentioned in that welcome post where we first broached the subject, my first was Astro-boy, and like you, I had no clue it was anime. I rediscovered the genre later on in college when a Japanese exchange student loaned me a couple of mangas. Being a prolific doodler, my style was very manga-like. A led to B & here we are.
Not so much martial arts, as focusing mostly on fighting in general. Dragon Ball Z, D. Grey Man, Soul Eater, Darker than Black. I suppose calling it a genre isn't specific enough.

I actually read some manga, too, what have you read?

Not so much martial arts, as focusing mostly on fighting in general. Dragon Ball Z, D. Grey Man, Soul Eater, Darker than Black. I suppose calling it a genre isn't specific enough.

I guess I was being too specific regarding action. My bad. DBZ always seemed a bit juvenile to me, never got into it. Grey Man & Soul Eater I have not seen. Darker than Black, yes, I did like that. Chase down a copy of Gunsmith Cats. That is the sort of action that I am into, (girls with guns, bombs & fast classic cars, w/no fan service). It is a mini series, maybe an hour & a half long.

Mangas? A bunch. At one time I had about 20 odd Evangelions. Silent Mobius, MAR, Mahoromatic, Akira, Claymore, GITS, of course, bunch of others. About the only one I have left is the Kodansha Bilingual Ghost in the Shell, that I picked up at 1/2 price books for $7USD. (the version w/ Motoko's drug induced shipboard lez sex session not cut out as it was in the US version)

My first anime was actually Gundam Wing. I didn't realize it was anime at the time, but when I actually learned what anime was, I actually started watching anime from various countries. Code Lyoko is a really good French anime and Blassreiter is a really good German anime.

I'm a pretty big fan of mecha- my second favourite anime is mecha- Rah Xephon. Its parallels to Evangelion are unmistakable, I just like its execution more:

Evangelion is a little further down the line. I like the old version more (sorry PR ;-)), but I like the new ones too :). I have heard of Blassreiter, I think I actually have it on Netflix, but I haven't yet seen it. I think I may try that soon. Never heard of Code Lyoko, so I googled it, the trailer looks cool :)...

I'm not really sure how I'd classify my favourite anime of all, St. Luminous Mission High School. Slice of life with a little paranormal maybe? One of the things I so like about this anime is that while there is a bit of paranormal in it, it's minimal, and if you were to take it as a metaphor for something -else-, it wouldn't be required at all. That something else, I believe, is the main theme. What I like so much about this anime is how subtle it is with what I believe is this main theme. I think it's so subtle that I believe some people have been disappointed with it because they never get it, instead focusing on minor details that I really don't care about. The introductory song is the thing I don't think I'll ever forget. To me, it speaks of beauty, as well as sorrow. If I had to summarize the the main theme in this anime, I'd say it's that sometimes, beauty must disappear and you can never really get it back. That being said, you have to keep on trying anyway, because you never know, and while you may not get quite the same thing, you may atleast get something similar; an echo, if you will. I haven't found a trailer for it, just a clip of the very first episode, which I think gives a clue to the main theme in the opening sequence (complete with the introductory theme song, which I've been told by an ex girlfriend I actually sung while sleeping :p). I didn't figure out what I believe to be the main theme until a lot later though.

That got me thinking, have you seen any of the Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners) films? I -love- the opening music in the first one, and the theme of it is played in different ways throughout the films, and the storylines are very good too. Can be a bit confusing though, especially if you still haven't read the mangas (I haven't yet myself). I don't mind, I can always speculate about what was going on, and I can see them again too at some point (perhaps after having read the mangas :)). Also, the films are not in chronological order. I'm happy that I saw the first episode first though, it really pulled me in and that theme song is the one that the rest incorporate into their own. Here's a trailer that incorporates all 7 episodes/films (I think they're more like films myself):

I guess I was being too specific regarding action. My bad. DBZ always seemed a bit juvenile to me, never got into it. Grey Man & Soul Eater I have not seen. Darker than Black, yes, I did like that. Chase down a copy of Gunsmith Cats. That is the sort of action that I am into, (girls with guns, bombs & fast classic cars, w/no fan service). It is a mini series, maybe an hour & a half long.

Mangas? A bunch. At one time I had about 20 odd Evangelions. Silent Mobius, MAR, Mahoromatic, Akira, Claymore, GITS, of course, bunch of others. About the only one I have left is the Kodansha Bilingual Ghost in the Shell, that I picked up at 1/2 price books for $7USD. (the version w/ Motoko's drug induced shipboard lez sex session not cut out as it was in the US version)
I thought DBZ was fun, the anime just kept getting ahead of the manga, so they spend entire episodes powering up or doing some other mundane activity.

Oh, I've read MAR and watched the Claymore anime. Raki was so annoying, I kept hoping he'd die through the entire series. Though, the anime never concluded.

I'm a pretty big fan of mecha- my second favourite anime is mecha- Rah Xephon. Its parallels to Evangelion are unmistakable, I just like its execution more:

Evangelion is a little further down the line. I like the old version more (sorry PR ;-)), but I like the new ones too :). I have heard of Blassreiter, I think I actually have it on Netflix, but I haven't yet seen it. I think I may try that soon. Never heard of Code Lyoko, so I googled it, the trailer looks cool :)...

I'm not really sure how I'd classify my favourite anime of all, St. Luminous Mission High School. Slice of life with a little paranormal maybe? One of the things I so like about this anime is that while there is a bit of paranormal in it, it's minimal, and if you were to take it as a metaphor for something -else-, it wouldn't be required at all. That something else, I believe, is the main theme. What I like so much about this anime is how subtle it is with what I believe is this main theme. I think it's so subtle that I believe some people have been disappointed with it because they never get it, instead focusing on minor details that I really don't care about. The introductory song is the thing I don't think I'll ever forget. To me, it speaks of beauty, as well as sorrow. If I had to summarize the the main theme in this anime, I'd say it's that sometimes, beauty must disappear and you can never really get it back. That being said, you have to keep on trying anyway, because you never know, and while you may not get quite the same thing, you may atleast get something similar; an echo, if you will. I haven't found a trailer for it, just a clip of the very first episode, which I think gives a clue to the main theme in the opening sequence (complete with the introductory theme song, which I've been told by an ex girlfriend I actually sung while sleeping :p). I didn't figure out what I believe to be the main theme until a lot later though.

Code Lyoko is really well done. While the voice acting gets a little... eh... in places, the anime itself is really good. I watched the entirety of the first series, the sequel is live action, I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to do so at some point. Oh, I also watched some Medabots, but I don't recall where I started or ended, so I didn't add it to my list. That series had some neat games that came out, too.

St. Luminous High School sounds interesting, at least. I may watch it at some point.

Code Lyoko is really well done. While the voice acting gets a little... eh... in places, the anime itself is really good. I watched the entirety of the first series, the sequel is live action, I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to do so at some point.

I decided to give it a try, seen episode 0, and started episode 1, looks good so far :).

Oh, I also watched some Medabots, but I don't recall where I started or ended, so I didn't add it to my list. That series had some neat games that came out, too.

Ok, I haven't seen that one either.

St. Luminous High School sounds interesting, at least. I may watch it at some point.

k :)

I thought DBZ was fun, the anime just kept getting ahead of the manga, so they spend entire episodes powering up or doing some other mundane activity.

Oh, I've read MAR and watched the Claymore anime. Raki was so annoying, I kept hoping he'd die through the entire series. Though, the anime never concluded.

(Raki was so annoying, I kept hoping he'd die through the entire series)-> Lol :). I admit, he was a tad annoying, but I had to respect Claire's feelings about him. I just realized I didn't even have that anime included in myanimelist; I've been kind of lazy about adding animes to my list, but I've added that one now atleast :).

New Topics

Forum List

Back