Anyone Using A Drone?

Not hard, but these cameras are close to $500 alone. That one is Phantom 4. Phantom 3 are now real cheap. You also need a controller, a RC, to fly, and they do not come with a screen so you need a tablet or smartphone

Not hard, but these cameras are close to $500 alone. That one is Phantom 4. Phantom 3 are now real cheap. You also need a controller, a RC, to fly, and they do not come with a screen so you need a tablet or smartphone
So, a phantom 3 pro ~250 would be a good choice? I'm not super knowledgable about them.

Hmm...video downloader card, Radio control extenders....I can see where this would become a very expensive hobby. lol

I'm trying to justify to the wife a $300 co2 laser tube for the laser engraver/cutter.

SPT 60W CO2 Sealed Laser Tube

What you should do first is go to youtube and search Pantom 3 tutorials, there are dozens of them. Spend a couple days watching those, then search e-bay for drones with a controller, battery and drone with camera all ready to fly.

It's not rocket science. And when you get it, do not try and fly it in the house. LOL

Hmm...video downloader card, Radio control extenders....I can see where this would become a very expensive hobby. lol

No, you don't need all that crap, the drone should come with it. SD cards are $2 if you need one, extenders are like refrigerators sold to eskimos. Without extenders you can fly way further than you can still see the drone.

Good video, NoVote! I'd love to have a drone. Back in the dark ages before I enlisted, I built and flew model airplanes. Problem with me getting a drone is the most wide-open area with the most interesting stuff is Federal land with NO DRONE signs posted prominently about. :dunno:

About ten years ago, I think, our local NBC affiliate got rid of its helicopter and got a drone. They get some amazing footage with it.

I watch a lot of TV and most of the ads out there are now made with drones, you can see how it's done. It's becoming more and more used for all kinds of things.

I'm retired now and old and worn out, but if drones had come out 20 years ago, there are all kinds of uses for them, inspecting buildings, roofs, roads, bridges, they now have IR cameras and would be better than dogs or in addition to dogs for top of the line security busainesses. I get new ideas all the time after a lifetime in construction. LOL

No, you don't need all that crap, the drone should come with it. SD cards are $2 if you need one, extenders are like refrigerators sold to eskimos. Without extenders you can fly way further than you can still see the drone.
Yeah, they were just examples of all the other "cool' stuff that can be had for the enthusiast.

lol

I watch a lot of TV and most of the ads out there are now made with drones, you can see how it's done. It's becoming more and more used for all kinds of things.

I'm retired now and old and worn out, but if drones had come out 20 years ago, there are all kinds of uses for them, inspecting buildings, roofs, roads, bridges, they now have IR cameras and would be better than dogs or in addition to dogs for top of the line security busainesses. I get new ideas all the time after a lifetime in construction. LOL
Last year our building had a new roof installed. An independent inspector brought out a drone to look at the job when it was done.

Beats hell out of following OSHA standards for climbing a roof!

I know that wedding photographers are now including drone footage in their wedding packages because I paid for it on My middle daughter's wedding.

Yeah, they were just examples of all the other "cool' stuff that can be had for the enthusiast.

Your best and most important support tool is a computer with image and video editing software, and high speed internet. The drone is just to get the images and video.

An independent inspector brought out a drone to look at the job when it was done.

I've done a lot of roofing myself. A simple ad in the newspaper would get enough work to keep you busy for years. Especially where there are tornadoes, hailstorms and high winds. Go around and hand out cards.

Your best and most important support tool is a computer with image and video editing software, and high speed internet. The drone is just to get the images and video.

An independent inspector brought out a drone to look at the job when it was done.

I've done a lot of roofing myself. A simple ad in the newspaper would get enough work to keep you busy for years. Especially where there are tornadoes, hailstorms and high winds. Go around and hand out cards.
Hmmm...interesting. I was just interested in getting enough income to pay for the hobby but now I see you need an FAA license to use a drone commercially. Five bucks for three years isn't a big deal and looks like passing the test isn't hard.

I have Adobe's Premiere Pro CC, so video editing capability isn't a problem.

One of the guys I work with roofs on the side. He's booked until Christmas. All his advertising is word-of-mouth.

One of the guys I work with roofs on the side. He's booked until Christmas. All his advertising is word-of-mouth.
What does that entail? Just taking a video of completed roofing projects and giving them to the company for code inspection proof?

I saw an ad in a forum just the other day, it was of a couple getting married, and the ring was being delivered by a drone. LOL

What does that entail? Just taking a video of completed roofing projects and giving them to the company for code inspection proof?
Seems like. Mostly it was verification that the roofing company followed contract specs for the installation.

I just finished rendering a 12 minute plus video flight over Turkey Vulture Hill that I took this evening. It came out nice. I will be uploading it tonight, LOL, on my .7 meg upload it should take all night. LOL

Here's a couple of flights from this weekend;

Turkey Vulture Hill;

Flight to the South;

New Topics

Forum List

Back