Anyone Pity This Bastard?

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Leave it to the liberal media to feel sorry for a convicted murderer. This slimeball takes 34 to assume room temperature, and once again the usual suspects are attacking capital punishment.

Also, the liberal media casually mentions the victim while offering lots of sympathy for the killer

How out there feels sorry for this creep?

Execution of Fla. Inmate Takes 34 Min.

By RON WORD, Associated Press Writer
Thu Dec 14, 0:29 AM

STARKE, Fla. - A man convicted of murdering the manager of a topless bar nearly three decades ago was executed by injection Wednesday, appearing to grimace before dying 34 minutes after receiving the first of two doses of chemicals.

The manner of his death will likely rekindle the argument that Florida's method of execution constitutes cruel and unusual punishment.

Angel Nieves Diaz, 55, was pronounced dead at 6:36 p.m., despite his protests of innocence and requests for clemency made by the governor of his native Puerto Rico. He appeared to move for 24 minutes after the first injection. His eyes were open, his mouth opened and closed and his chest rose and fell. He was pronounced dead 10 minutes after his last movement.

In most Florida executions, the prisoner loses consciousness almost immediately and stops moving within five minutes. The entire process usually takes about 15 minutes.

His final appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court challenged the chemicals used in the state's procedure, but were rejected about an hour before his execution began. Defense attorneys have been unsuccessfully challenging Florida's three-chemical method as unconstitutional cruel and unusual punishment, saying it results in extreme pain that an inmate cannot express because one of the drugs is a paralyzing agent.

Department of Corrections spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger said she doesn't believe Diaz felt any pain, and his liver disease prompted the second dose of lethal chemicals.

"It was not unanticipated. The metabolism of the drugs to the liver is slowed," Plessinger said.

But a spokesman for Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, called it a botched execution.

"They had to execute him twice," Mark Elliot said. "If Floridians could witness the pain and the agony of the executed man's family, they would end the death penalty."

Diaz's cousin, Maria Otero, said the family had no knowledge of any liver disease.

Gov. Jeb Bush, who rejected pleas for clemency from Puerto Rican officials including Gov. Acevedo Vilo and Senate President Kenneth D. McClintock, said in a written statement that the Department of Corrections followed all protocols.

"As announced earlier this evening by the Department, a preexisting medical condition of the inmate was the reason tonight's procedure took longer than recent procedures carried out this year," the statement said.

Diaz was executed for the Dec. 29, 1979, murder of Joseph Nagy, manager of the Velvet Swing Lounge in Miami. He was arrested in 1983 after his girlfriend told police he was involved in the killing. Diaz, who had a previous conviction for second-degree murder in Puerto Rico, and Angel "Sammy" Toro were charged with the slaying. Toro cut a deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to life in prison.

Moments before his execution, Diaz again denied killing Nagy.

"The state of Florida is committing a crime, because I am innocent," Diaz said as he was strapped to a gurney. "The death penalty is not only a form of vengeance, but also a cowardly act by humans."

___

Associated Press reporter Lilliam Irizarry in San Juan, Puerto Rico, contributed to this report.

If the laws would execute in a quicker manner then we'd not have to carry all these no-loads in the first place. I'm all for the death penality, now in regards to amount of time it takes to put someone to death, well that is a debate to be reviewed. Could have been the preparation procedures weren't done correctly, but as far as pity! Hell no because he killed somebody's son, father or friend with no reguard for life. Hopefully this man made peace before he left this old world

But a spokesman for Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, called it a botched execution.
And if that is the case then why allow people to witness it in the first place?

If the laws would execute in a quicker manner then we'd not have to carry all these no-loads in the first place. I'm all for the death penality, now in regards to amount of time it takes to put someone to death, well that is a debate to be reviewed. Could have been the preparation procedures weren't done correctly, but as far as pity! Hell no because he killed somebody's son, father or friend with no reguard for life. Hopefully this man made peace before he left this old world

And if that is the case then why allow people to witness it in the first place?

I could not care less how long it took. The PC crowd will use this to sneer how "inhumane" the procedure is

Like the liberal media, they express no concern about the victim and his family

Don't get mad, get Vlad!

As in Vlad the Impaler... what a great guy!

He'd have criminals impaled on sharpened stakes sometimes by having them shoved up their anus then slowly allowing their body weight to push the stake up through their internal organs ... a slow and horrible death.... I can think of a few murderers, rapists, child molesters that I'd like to see this done to.

I could not care less how long it took. The PC crowd will use this to sneer how "inhumane" the procedure is

Like the liberal media, they express no concern about the victim and his family

Funny how these liberals cry foul, but I wonder if they have the same feeling when someone they love or know is violated? Would they still hold this strong anti-death drill or what?

Funny how these liberals cry foul, but I wonder if they have the same feeling when someone they love or know is violated? Would they still hold this strong anti-death drill or what?

They will still find a way to defend the criminal and place blame on someone else

They will still find a way to defend the criminal and place blame on someone else

I haven't really surrounded myself around liberals, because once I found one or others this stuff oozes out of them and I'd leave. I really can't understand their way of thinking and even though I know several liberals and I mean Ted Kennedy type liberals they will debate other alternatives instead of pointing fingers. I will say I'm beginning to some what see there points with regards to beliefs but I still don't or won't see eye to eye on many subjects.

I haven't really surrounded myself around liberals, because once I found one or others this stuff oozes out of them and I'd leave. I really can't understand their way of thinking and even though I know several liberals and I mean Ted Kennedy type liberals they will debate other alternatives instead of pointing fingers. I will say I'm beginning to some what see there points with regards to beliefs but I still don't or won't see eye to eye on many subjects.

I have to sit across from a lib at work. So far, he has called the terrorists in Iraq "freedom fighters"; he has smiled as he says the war is going badly for America; he has defended the corrupt Dems getting power; he is opposed to the death penalty since it is "inhumane and innocent people have been put to death" (though he cannot name any), and I am sure he will say Rove and Bush poisened Tim Johnson so they can take back the Senate

red states rule posted:

A man convicted of murdering the manager of a topless bar nearly three decades ago was executed by injection Wednesday, appearing to grimace before dying 34 minutes after receiving the first of two doses of chemicals.

First of all, HANGING is my preferred method of capital execution.

Second, I could care less how long it took this CONVICTED murder to die.

Lastly, my problem is with HOW LONG it takes to put a CONVICTED murder to death. I mean, THIRTY YEARS?

ALL execution's should take place within 90 days, period, end of discussion. If they are guilty, then their guilty. Carry out the will of the people, execute the SOB.:thumbs_down:

But a quicker method would quash the issue. A single .22 to the temple would be all that it would take.

The real issue for me is why it took 30 GD YEARS to kill the guy, and the resultant long term suffering of the victim's family. Where is the compassion of the liberals about that?

red states rule posted:

First of all, HANGING is my preferred method of capital execution.

Second, I could care less how long it took this CONVICTED murder to die.

Lastly, my problem is with HOW LONG it takes to put a CONVICTED murder to death. I mean, THIRTY YEARS?

ALL execution's should take place within 90 days, period, end of discussion. If they are guilty, then their guilty. Carry out the will of the people, execute the SOB.:thumbs_down:

Well said. I wish I said it!!!!

With DNA there is no way the innocent would be put to death. We need to hurry the process and put this human sewage out of our misery

I have to sit across from a lib at work. So far, he has called the terrorists in Iraq "freedom fighters"; he has smiled as he says the war is going badly for America; he has defended the corrupt Dems getting power; he is opposed to the death penalty since it is "inhumane and innocent people have been put to death" (though he cannot name any), and I am sure he will say Rove and Bush poisened Tim Johnson so they can take back the Senate

That kind of stuff would really chaps me, I work for the war machine and most of my co-workers are conservatives. I'd be in jail because it would take one smart comment and it would be one. I'd show'em about capitol ass whippings in the cube!

That kind of stuff would really chaps me, I work for the war machine and most of my co-workers are conservatives. I'd be in jail because it would take one smart comment and it would be one. I'd show'em about capitol ass whippings in the cube!

If you are able to sit back and watch the liberal "mind" at work you must have some Tylenol on hand for the headache that will surely hit you

Liberal logic makes a figure eight look like a straight line

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/14/diaz.execution.ap/index.html

Okay...two things. I'm not really opinionated pro-or anti on the DP...BUT...

First: why did it take this guy 34 minutes to die? I've put numerous old dogs and horses "to sleep"...it takes ONE SECOND. Can somebody with more knowledge about this stuff explain to me why we just don't give inmates what we give to Labrador retrievers?

Second: If we are worried about how long it takes for someone to die...or how much pain they might be in...then the way China executes people might be better (a bullet to the neck or back of head)...right? I mean...if that's what we are worried about (and assuming you can't just give an inmate what my dogs got at the Vets...) would that be more humane?

As I said...I'm not even sure about the rightness or wrongness of the DP (and I'm always worried about innocents being put to death by mistake)..but why is there so much trouble with these lethal injections?

First: why did it take this guy 34 minutes to die? I've put numerous old dogs and horses "to sleep"...it takes ONE SECOND. Can somebody with more knowledge about this stuff explain to me why we just don't give inmates what we give to Labrador retrievers?

Second: If we are worried about how long it takes for someone to die...or how much pain they might be in...then the way China executes people might be better (a bullet to the neck or back of head)...right? I mean...if that's what we are worried about (and assuming you can't just give an inmate what my dogs got at the Vets...) would that be more humane?

As I said...I'm not even sure about the rightness or wrongness of the DP (and I'm always worried about innocents being put to death by mistake)..but why is there so much trouble with these lethal injections?

maybe it's a subtle ploy to drag it out

Lethal injections are PC bullshit. That criminal sure wan't thinking about anyone's else's rights nor their suffering during the commission of the crime.

I agree with the death penalty. I'm not too keen on how it is applied in this nation, however. Since we are talking a punishment that cannot be undone, it is my opinion that there should be NO doubt as to guilt. Too many times, people are sentenced to death on cases based on circumstantial evidence. Sure it may point directly at the accused, but there is that astronomical chance of innocence.

Well, if this is a serious question, it's because he had liver disease. Some drugs are broken down in the liver so they work faster, like the drugs used for lethal injection. His liver wasn't functioning properly, so it could not break the drugs down properly, hence he had to receive more medicine.

I, for one, dont feel sorrow for him. I'm sure he still went out more peaceful than those he killed.

Yes...I heard the liver disease excuse...but it NEVER takes as short a period of time as it does for animials (I know they give a cocktail of drugs during the process...but we are using something that doesn't work very fast nonetheless. A barbituate I believe. The exact recipe may differ state to state, I don't know.

A Cyanide capsule takes less than three seconds to kill you. Why don't we use something like that?
(BTW...Cyanide will kill you in 3 seconds even if you didn't have a liver to begin with ...haha..joke there....)

Something makes no sense here.

Forum List

Back