Anyone here remember 1968 and how it compares to political unrest today?

I remember watching the anti-Vietnam war student protesters go toe to toe with the police in 1968 on the TV.
There were massive fistfights with the police, who were smacking the protesters in the head with nightsticks, and there was a lot of blood flowing on both sides. The students were dedicated to their cause and weren't backing down one bit.
Contrast that with the Antifa wimps hiding behind masks, wearing helmets, bravely holding their cell phones while cussing at the police, and lighting trash cans on fire. ... :cuckoo:

Last edited:
1968 DNC convention video in link. Kind of reminds me of today.

This new "democrat" Party is far more radical and anti-America then their Weather Underground days. The Communists have completely taken it over and like Vince Donofrio bug man in Men in Black, they're having a hard time pretending to be normal

Vincent%2BD%E2%80%99Onofrio%2BMen%2Bin%2BBlack.jpg

Can you list the comparisons OP?

You mean beyond legions of indoctrinated liberal arts college students acting like defiant little children, using mobbing tactics and intimidation, and then screaming police brutality when the cops finally restore a semblance of law and order? The left has nothing except divisive hatred and disruptive behavior. Things don't seem to change.

1968 DNC convention video in link. Kind of reminds me of today.

Its worse now

however the terrorist acts such as bombing and bank robbery have not happened yet

maybe because soros is funding the a tion any these marxist anarchists are not starved for cash

No, they have been replaced by burning down the entire inner city of some places. Far more damage in todays riots. Also the goal is now the destruction of this country. That is now out in the open.

I remember watching the anti-Vietnam war student protesters go toe to toe with the police in 1968 on the TV.
There were massive fistfights with the police, who were smacking the protesters in the head with nightsticks, and there was a lot of blood flowing on both sides. The students were dedicated to their cause and weren't backing down one bit.
Contrast that with the Antifa wimps hiding behind masks, wearing helmets, bravely holding their cell phones while cussing at the police, and lighting trash cans on fire. ... :cuckoo:

Please explain this some more if you will. I wasn't there, but from what I could tell, the old school hippies didn't fight back much at all. They were using the Gandhi approach of passive resistance, sit-in, love ins and gaining the support of the masses by NOT being the aggressors.

They were probably just as convinced of their ideology then, but they backed it up with reasonable (though often heated) debate. Just as today, I'm sure the communists overseas were trying to influence events. Today, they seem more impulsive and angry, a function of their backers (and the Wuhan Virus I'm sure).

Sure, you had a few radicals then, but there are always some of that ilk on all sides of a debate. Plenty of anonymous threats with no backing (probably made by someone high, or a provocateur), a few bottles and rocks thrown, but nothing like today.

The Kent State tragedy changed everything for a generation IMO from what I can tell, and that 1970. That, in itself, is difficult to comprehend and it impacted many for a long time. It's the same with Bloody Sunday in the U.K. Once you cross a line like that you inevitable ensure radicalism, and, more passive support for that radicalism.

Just as 9/11 preceeded a quick act of response and war from America, and I was one who was pissed enough to know America MUST get revenge and justice. Other tragedies can end wars, by applying counter pressure on leaders. This is where todays protesters have much weaker standing. Trump isn't going to war, he is avoiding them. Protesting isolated police violence, being handled by the courts, with your own violence ensures you will never get support from the masses.

It's why you have the be logical and get to the source of an issue, especially funding. Funding tells you everything. Be it in politics (dark money), or, materials and transportation for protesters/rioters.

Last edited:
I am 83.

I remember all the tragedies of the 1960s involving President Kennedy, Senator Robert Kennedy, Dr. King, the 1968 Convention in Chicago, etc.

But it did not seem so anarchic as today's COVID-19 tragedy, the BLM protests, the looting, & the upcoming "controversial" presidential election.

I think (repeat: "think") that the difference is due to the Internet.

A nobody like me is now blowing off steam. In the 1960s, we nobodies did not have an outlet for our opinions, conspiracy theories, hate speech, lies, etc. The media (print newspapers and TV networks) were the gatekeepers. There were no cellphones, either, so it was more difficult for troublemakers to plan riots, etc.

Today, if one depends on the Internet for one's impression of the nation, it seems that the United States is coming apart at the seams. Back in the 1960s, no one had any such fears.

all true-----just as violent, just as criminal but not
SO WIDESPREAD and it did not overtake a POLITICAL
PARTY

Please explain this some more if you will. I wasn't there, but from what I could tell, the old school hippies didn't fight back much at all. They were using the Gandhi approach of passive resistance, sit-in, love ins and gaining the support of the masses by NOT being the aggressors.
The anti-war protests in the early years started out as peaceful demonstrations. But the protesters were dope smoking hippies and disliked by the general public who supported the war.
But as the war dragged on and more and more soldiers were drafted for Vietnam. The body bags started coming back by the hundreds. Nixon upped the ante and started bombing North Vietnam, and invaded Cambodia. (I was a draftee in army basic training when that happened)
The protesters became very radical and desperate to end the war. A group call the Weather Underground started a bombing campaign of government building and banks, which killed several civilians and policemen.
Many returning Vietnam vets joined the protesters, and the public's mood shifted from supporting the war to ending the war. Because soo many young men were being killed in a war that people quit believing was necessary. ... :cool:

Last edited:
there were ALSO lots of "kill THE SYSTEM" anarchist elements, race issues, and "kill the pigs" issues,
and violence here and there

When the Vietnam war finally ended, and the protester's cause was over, they seemed to evaporite into the air.
Unfortunately, the students who had been radicalized by their anti-war, anti-government protests, and championed the cause of communist North Vietnam.
Went back to the universities, got their degrees, and became teachers, and eventually tenured professors. Eventually, taking over the academic departments of universities all over the nation. And started molding the minds of young people with their radical ideologies.
Which is why so many of today's college graduates embrace Marxism, hate America, and have worthless degrees in such things as lesbian dance theory and black victim studies, and can't find a job. ... :cool:

all true----I am a child of those times and a victim of
some of the profs----because it was so easy to get
an A in any sociology class and those classes
fulfilled the ELECTIVES requirements. Black studies---for which one needs only a reading level at about
grade 5 is a lot easier than Calculus and just about the SILLIEST major of all. However---I was a different kinda student----given an easy book, I READ THE WHOLE
THING ---thus A in every sociology class. --the bunch of A's counteracted that one B I got in calculus 101
ALSO the current BLM memes are all familiar to me.
They are nothing new. Soros and DiBlasio were impressed with the idiot sophistry

I am a registered democrat---I live on the edge of one of the epicenters of BLM filth----BUT I will vote, as I usually do, at the local polling place---for Trump. I am actually a little worried about my little
colorless self

I am 83.

I remember all the tragedies of the 1960s involving President Kennedy, Senator Robert Kennedy, Dr. King, the 1968 Convention in Chicago, etc.

But it did not seem so anarchic as today's COVID-19 tragedy, the BLM protests, the looting, & the upcoming "controversial" presidential election.

I think (repeat: "think") that the difference is due to the Internet.

A nobody like me is now blowing off steam. In the 1960s, we nobodies did not have an outlet for our opinions, conspiracy theories, hate speech, lies, etc. The media (print newspapers and TV networks) were the gatekeepers. There were no cellphones, either, so it was more difficult for troublemakers to plan riots, etc.

Today, if one depends on the Internet for one's impression of the nation, it seems that the United States is coming apart at the seams. Back in the 1960s, no one had any such fears.
We are losing rights in a general sense. Even what we type here could eventually be used against us in the future. But blowing away some steam is not bad. Today, there are a percentage of people rioting with no cause. Insulting yourself with privilege while still living with it is being a true hypocrite. Most of the media and entertainers who have a say to us all are just that. They can go from expensive cuts of meats, caviar and champagnes to spam, tuna fish and cheap wine. From expensive cars to economy cars. From huge mansions to small homes or apartments while giving away their wealth to the less privileged. They ain't doing that. That means that the peasant will be on the hock when the Progs come back to power.

Forum List

Back