Anyone finding good deals at the gun shows?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I went to a gun show this afternoon, in a city that was about an hour's drive. It was being held in a building at the county fairground, there were about 50 vendors, and the admission was $7.00. I ended up spending a grand total of $9.00, for three different caliber snap caps, that allow you to dry-fire a pistol or rifle. Most of the vendors there were licensed dealers, although there were about 10 private sellers.

There was quite a selection of rifles, pistols, and shotguns but the prices were off the hook. The reason I went was to pick up some reloading powder, primers, and bullets. Primers were running as high as $10 per hundred there, but I can get them locally for about $4.00/100. What little powder and reloading bullets for sale there was about double the price I can get them for.

There was ammunition to be had, but the prices were pretty steep. I didn't price much of it since I reload, but bulk-pack of .22 LR that I paid $25.00 per 500 rounds three months ago, was going for as high as $100.00. I did see alot of rifles in the AR-15 platform, as well as uppers, lowers, accessories, and other parts. the cheapest AR I saw there was about $600. I also saw alot of Chinese-made optics such as weapon-mounted lasers and lights, ranging from $60-$250.

A lot of pistols were available, ranging in price from $300 on up. The price was really up on the old bolt-action military rifles. The same WW2 Mausers, Enfields, Arisakas, and Springfields you could buy mail order back in the 60's ran in price from $350 up to $1500. Crappy outdated Chinese or Russian SKS rifles were priced at $350-$500 and newly-manufactured AK-47's were running about $1200.

Still, it was fun to look. I made 5 passes through the show then drove back home.

I went to a gun show this afternoon, in a city that was about an hour's drive. It was being held in a building at the county fairground, there were about 50 vendors, and the admission was $7.00. I ended up spending a grand total of $9.00, for three different caliber snap caps, that allow you to dry-fire a pistol or rifle. Most of the vendors there were licensed dealers, although there were about 10 private sellers.

There was quite a selection of rifles, pistols, and shotguns but the prices were off the hook. The reason I went was to pick up some reloading powder, primers, and bullets. Primers were running as high as $10 per hundred there, but I can get them locally for about $4.00/100. What little powder and reloading bullets for sale there was about double the price I can get them for.

There was ammunition to be had, but the prices were pretty steep. I didn't price much of it since I reload, but bulk-pack of .22 LR that I paid $25.00 per 500 rounds three months ago, was going for as high as $100.00. I did see alot of rifles in the AR-15 platform, as well as uppers, lowers, accessories, and other parts. the cheapest AR I saw there was about $600. I also saw alot of Chinese-made optics such as weapon-mounted lasers and lights, ranging from $60-$250.

A lot of pistols were available, ranging in price from $300 on up. The price was really up on the old bolt-action military rifles. The same WW2 Mausers, Enfields, Arisakas, and Springfields you could buy mail order back in the 60's ran in price from $350 up to $1500. Crappy outdated Chinese or Russian SKS rifles were priced at $350-$500 and newly-manufactured AK-47's were running about $1200.

Still, it was fun to look. I made 5 passes through the show then drove back home.

Oh no you didn't.....

You realize how many leftist's monitors and keyboards you just smashed?

And they never made it past 10 private sellers.

You sir, are A Great American.

Thank you.

Oh no you didn't.....

Thank you.

Maybe I should further exacerbate their ire by defining "private sellers."

Those are also known as the dreaded "gun show loophole."

Oh no you didn't.....

Thank you.

So no background chek?

Now the have holes in the drywall and windows.

The monitor is out in front of the trailer by the porta-potty.

If you can get small pistol primers for 4/100 I will buy up to 20,000.

I saw SGammo had 9mm ammo in stock for the first time in months, the prices were ludicrous, 200 rds of 9mm 115 gr Winchester silvertips for $250.00, and a case of Russian steel cased 124 ball for $600.00! Anyone caught naked at this point in time is screwed, you can easily find guns, but ammo is another story...

That's pretty much what I saw. Guns could be had, but ammo was going for a premium. Reloading supplies are through the roof because supposedly, the ammunition-manufacturing companies are using up much of the powder, primers, and bullets.

I didn't take a picture of it but the other day I looked at the sporting goods department at our local Walmart. They have a 10 foot long by 3 foot high glass-covered display case where they keep the ammunition. After Walmart enacted their policy of refusing to sell any ammo that goes to a handgun or what they consider an "assault rifle", their stock of ammo slowly dwindled down to nothing but .22 LR, shotgun ammo, and ammo for hunting rifles.

Now that it's hunting season here, their selection of cartridges is getting pretty slim. We do have a local gun store who maintains a good selection of ammo though, as well as those dreaded "black rifles." He also over-bought powder, primers, and bullets for reloading awhile back, so it's plentiful and the price is still fairly cheap.

If you can get small pistol primers for 4/100 I will buy up to 20,000.

I doubt if my gun shop has that many in stock but what he does have is still going for $40/1000. the small pistol primers are touch and go, as people are loading alot of 9mm. He has a shitload of different powders too, priced about $29-$36 per pound can, and a hundred-something for the 5-pound jugs.

Oh no you didn't.....

Thank you.

So no background chek?

Now the have holes in the drywall and windows.

The monitor is out in front of the trailer by the porta-potty.

No background check with the private sellers. Hand them the cash and walk out with your bazooka.

:auiqs.jpg:

I think gun shows are passe. Direct marketing and online sales are making them obsolete.
online shopping is great but it misses one factor I want to hold a gun before I buy it I want to physically look at the ammo to make sure it's not damaged

Fair enough, but ammo and reloading supplies are better purchased online.

You can get better deals online but sometimes those hazardous materials shipping fees suck. At least that's what I've heard, as I've never ordered any online, only gun parts. Ebay has become a good place for most any parts, except for receivers, which the BATF considers to the the actual "firearm."

Ebay also prohibits the sale of any magazine which has a more than ten-round capacity, and any part or accessory that goes to what the state of California considers to be an "assault weapon" (AR-15, AK-47, or even a Ruger Mini-14). They also prohibit the sale of any ammunition or ammunition component, such as bullets or cartridge cases. Even collectible WW2-era empty brass cases, unless they've been turned into "trench art."

But they're good for finding a good deal on gun parts, I've bought those on Ebay many times. The first thing I usually do when I pick up a firearm at a garage sale is to find a good Youtube video and figure out how to disassemble that firearm down to the component level. Every part gets a good inspection, cleaning, oiling, and then the gun gets put back together, hopefully with no parts left over.

I used a Youtube video to learn how to do a trigger job on my Glock 19 Gen 4 last year. The trigger had so much creep in it and was so gritty that after running 60 or 80 rounds through it, my index finger hurt like a sonofabitch. After disassembling it and polishing the connector, striker, trigger bar, firing pin, and safety plunger to a mirror polish with a felt wheel on a Dremel tool and some Dritz metal polish, it slicked up very nicely. It lightened the pull from the factory 5 pounds down to 3.5 pounds and it's a joy to shoot.

I think gun shows are passe. Direct marketing and online sales are making them obsolete.
online shopping is great but it misses one factor I want to hold a gun before I buy it I want to physically look at the ammo to make sure it's not damaged

Fair enough, but ammo and reloading supplies are better purchased online.
I buy ammo in a way it goes unnoticed been doing it for over 10 years 3-6 boxes of ammo a week and I've done this with every caliber I have 5.56 nato, 7.62x39, 308rem. 45acp, 9mm, 357mag, 12ga.
no paper trail pay by cash

A friend of mine just ordered 100 rounds of 357 mag and 40 rounds of 45-70, with shipping it was around 230.00.

I stopped going to gun shows when I realized I could get everything cheaper locally or online.

I stopped going to gun shows when I realized I could get everything cheaper locally or online.

I still go when I can, because we have a lot of "private sellers" here. Many times they don't know what they're selling and what it's worth, so I can snarf up some good deals. Unfortunately, the other vendors buy up most of the deals before they start letting the customers in the door.

Forum List

Back