Anyone feel that being a nerd has become mainstream?

metalwolf

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2020
Because i see nowadays at comic/anime conventions kids cosplaying and such,when i think 20 or 30 years ago they wouldn't be into that stuff.

But seems nowadays being a nerd has become mainstream,like on instagram have these people posing with fake glasses and hashtags like i'm such a nerd.

I remember years ago when the popular kids didn't want to have anything to do with nerds.

Like just look at the Starlog or Cinefantastique magazines from back in the 80's and 90's.

And i remember when girls and such were afraid to even step foot in a comic book store.

I even remember when comic books were a boys club and no women wanted anything to do with comic books back in the 80s and 90s

Last edited:
I've been a "nerd" my entire life. I took out 10 plus books a week at the library as a kid. Small engine repair, carpentry,birds, reptiles,amphibians,trees,gardening... Then later Lincoln welding manual, South bends how to run a lathe,metallurgy, knife making, gunsmithing,veterinary medicine,on and on and on.Never read asshole books like Odyssey . I did read Big Red and Ol Yeller.
I'm still a "nerd" 2 computers with 6 operating systems, all Debian based, I code bash, python, vim.C,html5.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Comics are for artists and video games are for assholes

I've been a "nerd" my entire life. I took out 10 plus books a week at the library as a kid. Small engine repair, carpentry,birds, reptiles,amphibians,trees,gardening... Then later Lincoln welding manual, South bends how to run a lathe,metallurgy, knife making, gunsmithing,veterinary medicine,on and on and on.Never read asshole books like Odyssey . I did read Big Red and Ol Yeller.
I'm still a "nerd" 2 computers with 6 operating systems, all Debian based, I code bash, python, vim.C,html5.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I have read Lord of the rings and Dragonlance Chronicles,i have a replica lightsaber,a giant two-handed sword,some dragon prints and such,i also seen the star wars movies.

Last edited:
No, I don't think it's really much different than it's ever been. It's just that social media has made small voices and subcultures appear bigger, because things you'd otherwise never know about are now front and center. Many of those kids are mocked mercilessly in high school for the things they post online, just like when the high school marching band types geeked out about D&D before the internet.

College kids and adults don't get the same heat for it because it's easier to segregate themselves. You'll find that most of the people who attend those conventions are adults or high school kids who fit into the group I referenced

Why pin an offensive label on a good kid who wants to read a book instead of play a video game? What the hell is a nerd?

Why pin an offensive label on a good kid who wants to read a book instead of play a video game? What the hell is a nerd?

According to webster, it's a socially inept person.

However, you can't argue with the likes of this cosplay star o_O:p

s9mbjmcn22521.jpg
1603746639690.png
fe62992cf95aa78d795fcd47cb69a306.jpg
qTzt1ozbi6-iOOJaB4yU5f8km6CYl3qaDlV_0oUH0SY.jpg
ym027qer4rz11.jpg
1603746664357.png
m9dt6jqh88a31.jpg

According to webster, it's a socially inept person.

This is true. Someone doesn't get labeled as a nerd simply because he/she gets good grades, or likes comic books, or is good at playing an instrument/singing, etc. It usually happens because a person lacks social skills and self-segregates from peers. Rarely happens with star athletes because of how revered athletics is and because it's hard to self-segregate with team sports, but even then it depends on the sport, gender and demographics. Some sports are considered "nerdy" in certain demographics. I'd give examples but I don't want to open that door. I'm sure most of you can think of them yourselves.

I think though that it has become better. Back when i was growing up, showing up at school with a book with a dragon or a wizard or a spaceship on the cover would get you laughed at by most of the popular kids in school.

Forum List

Back