Anybody good with batteries?

I just found a small 900 running watt generator for 100 bucks. I guess I could get that and a decent 200 dollar battery and use my 10 amp charger and still be around 300

How loud is it?
The inverters are so quiet you can carry on a conversation in a normal voice right next to them.
Even the predator from harbor freight only runs at 65 decibels which is as loud as a normal conversation.
Noise Comparisons

to charge laptop, phones, speakers small

That's funny. You aren't camping, you're just moving your stuff to a different location.

https://encrypted-vtbn0.gstatic.com...f7RPW1ZT0ARnXfQUdS_dAAan5cXwhy2JZh3DCFzYd5IVH
We boondock in this. 400 amp hour flooded batteries and 10000 watt Cumins generator keeps us happy.

attachment.php

Hell of a nice rig. It wouldn't make it to 3/4 of the places I like to camp, however.
Yes sometimes it’s size prevent us from staying in some places. But we have stayed many times in the deserts of AZ and CA, without difficulty. We full time so we needed the size.

So thats your home.
I never could figure out why someone would buy a motorhome of that size unless they were living in it full time.
My Aunt and Uncle had one like it and the damn thing barely fit in my driveway when they came for a visit.
They eventually scaled down and were much happier.
I guess they needed time to figure out they didnt need all the square footage.

I just found a small 900 running watt generator for 100 bucks. I guess I could get that and a decent 200 dollar battery and use my 10 amp charger and still be around 300

How loud is it?
The inverters are so quiet you can carry on a conversation in a normal voice right next to them.
Even the predator from harbor freight only runs at 65 decibels which is as loud as a normal conversation.
Noise Comparisons
I forget. I think around 75. I have looked at inverters too. A decent one is only around 50 bucks higher too.

How loud is it?
Noise Comparisons
I forget. I think around 75. I have looked at inverters too. A decent one is only around 50 bucks higher too.

If ya want quiet you have no choice but to get an inverter generator.

Ok, I want a battery for when we go off grid camping. I know I need a deep cycle but the AH and stuff I don't understand.
I will be hooking up a power inverter to it(with alligator clamps) to charge laptop, phones, speakers small stuff like that. I also have a 35 watt portable air conditioner I will be having on all night.
Will be used 2 or 3 nights at a time.
What will last the whole time?
Willing to spend up to 300.

Just hook clamps up to your bike and go for a ride when you need to top up the battery.

Ok, I want a battery for when we go off grid camping. I know I need a deep cycle but the AH and stuff I don't understand.
I will be hooking up a power inverter to it(with alligator clamps) to charge laptop, phones, speakers small stuff like that. I also have a 35 watt portable air conditioner I will be having on all night.

Just hook clamps up to your bike and go for a ride when you need to top up the battery.

LOL.....I could probably charge up a shake flashlight.

LOL.....I could probably charge up a shake flashlight.

If you set the Shake light on a Harley and let it idle it turns into a death ray.

You need to understand some of the math, at least, in order to be able to figure any of this out.

To begin with, let us define “all night” as eight hours. So, to run 35-watt air conditioner for eight hours, you need a total of {35 8 ×} 280 watt-hours of energy. To do that for three nights, you need {280 3 ×} 840 watt-hours.

Now batteries are rated in ampere-hours, not watt-hours. You need to multiply the ampere-hour rating by the voltage of the battery, to get watt-hours.

Assuming twelve-volt batteries, you need {840 12 ÷} 70 amp-hours worth of batteries to equal that 840 watt-hours. A quick Google search got me this statement showing up prominently in my results:

A standard small car battery is about 45 amp/hours. That means that it will supply over two amps for 20 hours. A battery should not be discharged at a higher current draw, or asked to deliver more amps than its amp/hour rating divided by 10 in order to get maximum capacity out of it.

So, the equivalent of two standard car batteries ought to do it, depending on how great the losses are in the inverter. I don't know what to assume about that, but perhaps you should with the equivalent of three or four such batteries. And, of course, you'll want to go with deep-cycle batteries, rather than standard car batteries, and I think these are likely to be of lower capacity.

You need to understand some of the math, at least, in order to be able to figure any of this out.

To begin with, let us define “all night” as eight hours. So, to run 35-watt air conditioner for eight hours, you need a total of {35 8 ×} 280 watt-hours of energy. To do that for three nights, you need {280 3 ×} 840 watt-hours.

Now batteries are rated in ampere-hours, not watt-hours. You need to multiply the ampere-hour rating by the voltage of the battery, to get watt-hours.

Assuming twelve-volt batteries, you need {840 12 ÷} 70 amp-hours worth of batteries to equal that 840 watt-hours. A quick Google search got me this statement showing up prominently in my results:

A standard small car battery is about 45 amp/hours. That means that it will supply over two amps for 20 hours. A battery should not be discharged at a higher current draw, or asked to deliver more amps than its amp/hour rating divided by 10 in order to get maximum capacity out of it.

So, the equivalent of two standard car batteries ought to do it, depending on how great the losses are in the inverter. I don't know what to assume about that, but perhaps you should with the equivalent of three or four such batteries. And, of course, you'll want to go with deep-cycle batteries, rather than standard car batteries, and I think these are likely to be of lower capacity.

That's what I said.

the simple thing would be to get a marine grade deep cycle,, I doubt it will run an AC for very long without recharge but the rest shouldnt be a problem,,

of course you could get two of them and connect them to get a longer life,,

youre looking at close to 150.00 each,,
It really isnt much of an AC though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGT76J4/?tag=ff0d01-20
that is small so it is sure to last longer dependin on the run time and other items being charged,,
there are single panel solar kits available to recharge during the day

I'm very curious to see how it works out cause its perfect size for my teardrop trailer
My buddy got the same thing and he loves it. It would definitely cool a teardrop. I'm using a tent.
Im also stuck on a nice ground tent or a rooftop tent. I would rather have a teardrop but I dont want a payment until my truck is paid for. I want the offroad ones because I go through some harsh terrain.

Wanna buy my rooftop tent with an A/C and heater?
833AA8D3-4B1F-42A6-884B-A32A6E25B028.jpeg
13E1F32B-97ED-4CE2-A927-48D164FB6732.jpeg

The A/C and heater is still in the box. Obviously not the one shown but the same model.
I could also give you a good deal on a Honda 2200 generator to run it.

Wow. Young people "off grid" a lot different than we used to. Pitch a tent, ring a fire pit with stones, dig a latrine hole and cover it with a piece of plywood. Morning ablutions in the river. For special moments after everyone is super stoned, turn on the car and listen to music on the stereo for awhile.

laptops, ac, phones?

What must the bears think?

Sure when you're young.

The Wife said no more primitive camping!!!
By that she means a bathroom with a hot water shower,A/C and heat.
And to be honest I'm right there with Her.
To me it's more about setting everything up and tearing it down for a two night stay. Way to much work.
Hell,I built my own shower system to try and get Her to go with me when I went to the lake but the sticking point was always the bathroom. Or as she put it....HELL no I'm not shitting in the woods!!!!
44455A0C-AD1E-4C3D-8E71-C47F63904B9D.jpeg

My RV came equipped with solar panels and 4 Lifeline deep cycle house batteries...when I go camping unplugged I use my computer and air conditioner along with my TV without giving it a second thought for a 4 or 5 day boon docking camp out...I have 4 solar panels and I think they are 350 watts each...not sure...I can see my lifeline batteries getting weaker as they age but they still work great for me...the battle born batteries are on my wish list...but $900 each is a hefty price...maybe I'll buy one at a time and store them until I have all four and then put them in...

You can actually run your A/C for 4 or 5 days on battery power?

My RV came equipped with solar panels and 4 Lifeline deep cycle house batteries...when I go camping unplugged I use my computer and air conditioner along with my TV without giving it a second thought for a 4 or 5 day boon docking camp out...I have 4 solar panels and I think they are 350 watts each...not sure...I can see my lifeline batteries getting weaker as they age but they still work great for me...the battle born batteries are on my wish list...but $900 each is a hefty price...maybe I'll buy one at a time and store them until I have all four and then put them in...

No....with my solar panels...I hardly ever need to run my generator...

So a combo of batteries and solar?

Yes having solar panels with no place to hold the power they generate is useless...so with four panels and a converter my four deep cycle batteries have enough capacity to save that power until I use it....for lights TV computer AC etc etc I should have two more batteries but I don't know where I would put them....

Yes having solar panels with no place to hold the power they generate is useless...so with four panels and a converter my four deep cycle batteries have enough capacity to save that power until I use it....for lights TV computer AC etc etc I should have two more batteries but I don't know where I would put them....

We run two Lithium batteries with a single panel to keep them charged while we're away and to run the slide out when we first get there along with the LCD lighting.
That will keep us lite up for three or four days easily but we have to fire up the genny for A/C and the microwave.
CA2FAF6B-5C93-4719-8A10-0A8332460BCB.jpeg
704F2DC7-6EF3-495A-BFEC-3BE60C317A6E.jpeg

Wouldnt mind assing up the money for more batteries and panels if we could spend the weekend without firing up the generator.

Last edited:

We run two Lithium batteries with a single panel to keep them charged while we're away and to run the slide out when we first get there along with the LCD lighting.
That will keep us lite up for three or four days easily but we have to fire up the genny for A/C and the microwave.
View attachment 308025 View attachment 308026
Yes basically anything that gets hot or cold will need a lot of juice...like a blow dryer or AC or Microwave...the goal is to use all of those appliances without having to use a generator...in the past with my old RV I would drive around with my generator running so I could use the house AC when it was too hot for the dash AC to cool the rig....now on cloudy days or worse a cloudy week I end up using my generator so I have enough power for the night...But I'm a power hog when I go camping....I want all the comforts of home...I have a 40 and a 32 inch TV and a desk top PC in my RV....plus 6 24 hour security cameras on 24 hours a day when I am traveling... it takes a lot of juice....

View attachment 308025 View attachment 308026

Wouldnt mind assing up the money for more batteries and panels if we could spend the weekend without firing up the generator.
Nice trailer....call these folks...they are the best...
Northern Arizona Wind & Sun | Off Grid & Grid-Tied Solar Power Systems

You could get by with a nice portable panel or two and 2 - 4 batteries...I'm sure that would do you good...

Forum List

Back