Anybody good with batteries?

to charge laptop, phones, speakers small

That's funny. You aren't camping, you're just moving your stuff to a different location.

https://encrypted-vtbn0.gstatic.com...f7RPW1ZT0ARnXfQUdS_dAAan5cXwhy2JZh3DCFzYd5IVH
We boondock in this. 400 amp hour flooded batteries and 10000 watt Cumins generator keeps us happy.

attachment.php

And at 100AH, it wouldn't be enough by far. LIPO4 has some advantages but sometimes the old tried and true Lead Acid (gel) wins the race. And I have a feeling you can shop around and get a pretty good deal on a 850AH battery. But it won't be light nor small. And you are going to need two of them for your needs. And you are looking at Cold Crank rating which is the smaller of the two ratings.

The two advantages of the LIPO is that it can be recharged about 5 times or more before it degrades. Sounds like this isn't a problem for you. The other is weight whereas the Lipo is about 3 to 5 times lighter. But you end up paying 3 times or more for an inferior Lipo4 rated battery than the Sealed Lead Acid. So, like many fishing batteries, the Sealed Lead Acid Deep Cells wins the race. And, in affect, that is your application.

I just found a small 900 running watt generator for 100 bucks. I guess I could get that and a decent 200 dollar battery and use my 10 amp charger and still be around 300

Ok, I want a battery for when we go off grid camping. I know I need a deep cycle but the AH and stuff I don't understand.
I will be hooking up a power inverter to it(with alligator clamps) to charge laptop, phones, speakers small stuff like that. I also have a 35 watt portable air conditioner I will be having on all night.
Will be used 2 or 3 nights at a time.
What will last the whole time?
Willing to spend up to 300.

the simple thing would be to get a marine grade deep cycle,, I doubt it will run an AC for very long without recharge but the rest shouldnt be a problem,,

of course you could get two of them and connect them to get a longer life,,

youre looking at close to 150.00 each,,
It really isnt much of an AC though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGT76J4/?tag=ff0d01-20
that is small so it is sure to last longer dependin on the run time and other items being charged,,
there are single panel solar kits available to recharge during the day

I'm very curious to see how it works out cause its perfect size for my teardrop trailer
My buddy got the same thing and he loves it. It would definitely cool a teardrop. I'm using a tent.
Im also stuck on a nice ground tent or a rooftop tent. I would rather have a teardrop but I dont want a payment until my truck is paid for. I want the offroad ones because I go through some harsh terrain.
the teardrop I have my son and I made about 6 yrs ago and he lived in it in leadville colorado and tuscon az when he worked for the national parks,,we used a harbor freight trailer and the back doors of a semi trailer as sides,,worked out really well and has got about 10K miles on it so far,

I am trying to close up my window business and then make a few of the overland style trailers at a lower cost that the ones on the market,,this is a design I will most likely use

That's funny. You aren't camping, you're just moving your stuff to a different location.

https://encrypted-vtbn0.gstatic.com...f7RPW1ZT0ARnXfQUdS_dAAan5cXwhy2JZh3DCFzYd5IVH
We boondock in this. 400 amp hour flooded batteries and 10000 watt Cumins generator keeps us happy.

attachment.php

Hell of a nice rig. It wouldn't make it to 3/4 of the places I like to camp, however.

Ok, I want a battery for when we go off grid camping. I know I need a deep cycle but the AH and stuff I don't understand.
I will be hooking up a power inverter to it(with alligator clamps) to charge laptop, phones, speakers small stuff like that. I also have a 35 watt portable air conditioner I will be having on all night.

the simple thing would be to get a marine grade deep cycle,, I doubt it will run an AC for very long without recharge but the rest shouldnt be a problem,,

that is small so it is sure to last longer dependin on the run time and other items being charged,,

I'm very curious to see how it works out cause its perfect size for my teardrop trailer
My buddy got the same thing and he loves it. It would definitely cool a teardrop. I'm using a tent.
Im also stuck on a nice ground tent or a rooftop tent. I would rather have a teardrop but I dont want a payment until my truck is paid for. I want the offroad ones because I go through some harsh terrain.
the teardrop I have my son and I made about 6 yrs ago and he lived in it in leadville colorado and tuscon az when he worked for the national parks,,we used a harbor freight trailer and the back doors of a semi trailer as sides,,worked out really well and has got about 10K miles on it so far,

I am trying to close up my window business and then make a few of the overland style trailers at a lower cost that the ones on the market,,this is a design I will most likely use

Attachments

• 100_4394.jpg
    100_4394.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 26
Why don't you get a portable electric generator?
I have considered it but I dont want to mess with solar panels or a gas generator to charge it. They arent very powerful without spending 500 bucks
Solar panels would be the best way to go to recharge. I run my garden and hydroponics using solar and a couple of batteries. This way, I can keep the small circulating pump going 24/7 when its the growing season.

Sweet!

attachment.php

Hell of a nice rig. It wouldn't make it to 3/4 of the places I like to camp, however.
Yes sometimes it’s size prevent us from staying in some places. But we have stayed many times in the deserts of AZ and CA, without difficulty. We full time so we needed the size.

My Uncle had this old School Bus that had railroad batteries in it to power the bus off grid.

I am unsure if you can buy them or not though.

We would use a charger to charge them up for him and he could go for days...

attachment.php

Yes sometimes it’s size prevent us from staying in some places. But we have stayed many times in the deserts of AZ and CA, without difficulty. We full time so we needed the size.

Me and the wife are currently using an overland pop-up camper with my pickup. But, I'm working on a project similar to this:
XJandtrailer.jpg

Wow. Young people "off grid" a lot different than we used to. Pitch a tent, ring a fire pit with stones, dig a latrine hole and cover it with a piece of plywood. Morning ablutions in the river. For special moments after everyone is super stoned, turn on the car and listen to music on the stereo for awhile.

laptops, ac, phones?

What must the bears think?
Lol thats I have been doing for years. I felt it was time to upgrade.
Have you ever tried to sleep on a TN summer night with 80 percent humidity? Lol
Try it in a Virginia summer with 98% humidity........... Wearing wool.......... And only what you can carry.......

iu

At 65 my idea of camping is a hotel suite without room service......... :eusa_whistle:

Thats some tough requirements.
Why not a small Predator inverter/generator for an extra $150 bucks?
They're quiet as hell and sip gas.
2000 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator

Yea i think im going to get a generator too

I've been overlanding enough in BFE that my deep cycle marine battery just doesn't cut it without my Honda 2200 amp generator to keep it charged (about 45 min./day).

Yep...I've got the Honda 2200 for lite work and the 7000 for the Travel trailer.
People regularly leave their generators at the lease we're on but I'm finding it hard to leave a $4500 dollar generator up there.
Decided to buy a Predator 3500 for $700 bucks which will run the A/C and if it gets stolen it's no big loss.

Hell the Honda 7000 is still sitting in the crate it came in in the garage.
Going to keep it for hurricane season since it'll run the A/C unit in the master bedroom,the master bath,the gun room and the fridge freezer.

Yea i think im going to get a generator too

Than your battery choice just got easier....and a hell of a lot cheaper.
The good thing about an inverter/generator besides constant power is it's safe for delicate electronics like smart phones and laptops.
Never run or charge those on your basic briggs generator or you're gonna fuck em up.

Forum List

Back