Any Tips for San Juan Puerto Rico

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
Alright..... anyone out here with some tips one where to go, what to see, what to miss and not miss in San Juan Puetro Rico????

How long are you there for? Are you staying only in San Juan? I can give you a list of places from a locals perspective outside of San Juan that are musts if your on the island. If your only visiting San Juan I recommend looking at brochures and doing the popular stuff. Visit Old San Juan, see the castle "El Morro," eat a cuban sandwich, buy some Majorca bread at a bakery, go to the beach, etc.

Last edited:
  • Banned
How long are you there for? Are you staying only in San Juan? I can give you a list of places from a locals perspective outside of San Juan that are musts if your on the island. If your only visiting San Juan I recommend looking at brochures and doing the popular stuff. Visit Old San Juan, see the castle "El Morro," eat a cuban sandwich, buy some Majorca bread at a bakery, go to the beach, etc.

a very fast trip.... two days to myself on the ground there.....

thanks!!! ill look into "el morro"

• Banned
You should rent a car though. Nothing's very far away in PR and 3 of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life are on the island.

thinking about doing that..... Andrew Zimmerman did a show (must look it up) on something called.... "the pork highway" ..... it looked great!!!

You should rent a car though. Nothing's very far away in PR and 3 of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life are on the island.

thinking about doing that..... Andrew Zimmerman did a show (must look it up) on something called.... "the pork highway" ..... it looked great!!!

Yes! That's up in the mountains (if it's the same place I'm thinking of). The pork all over the island is great but up in the mountains for whatever reason are the best places.

Now if you rent a car here are 4 places you MUST visit!

1. Gilligan's Island - the most beautiful place that I've ever been in my life. Nobody knows about it so you might have to brush up on some basic spanish. You can find info and it's location online though.
2. Flamenco Beach on the island of Culebra - you can only get there on a ferry but that beach is regularly voted onto lists of the top 10 beaches in the world. The ferry will also take you to Vieques but I haven't been there since it stopped being a military testing ground. I've heard that's beautiful too.
3. El Yunque - the rainforest in PR is the only rainforest in the world that has grown in the last few centuries. Take the path to the waterfall in the middle it's amazing (but there's usually lots of people there :doubt:). Still worth it though
4. The Bio-luminescent bay in Fajardo - this was a candidate for one of the modern 7 wonders of the world. You can take a canoe or kayak out to the bay where microscopic bacteria glow beneath the water and it looks like a starlit sky beneath you. When I went you were allowed to swim and if you splashed water in the air it looked like you were throwing stars it was amazing!

Other places:
Arecibo Observatory - this is famous for being the location of the last fight scent in James Bond's Goldeneye. It's the largest radio observatory in the world and it's pretty cool.
El Morro - a castle in Old San Juan. It's beautiful and you can take great pictures there

Food:
CUBAN SANDWICHES! If you've never had one DO IT!!!!!!!!!
Majorca - get it fresh with powdered sugar on top
Mofongo - mashed plantains with your choice of meat (I like pork on it)
Churrasco - Puerto Rican style flank steak
Pastelillo de Guayaba - learn how to pronounce it and stop at any roadside bakery. They're my favorite desserts!

If I remember anything else I'll post it later :)

[MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Yes! That's up in the mountains (if it's the same place I'm thinking of). The pork all over the island is great but up in the mountains for whatever reason are the best places.

Now if you rent a car here are 4 places you MUST visit!

1. Gilligan's Island - the most beautiful place that I've ever been in my life. Nobody knows about it so you might have to brush up on some basic spanish.
2. Flamenco Beach on the island of Culebra - you can only get there on a ferry but that beach is regularly voted onto lists of the top 10 beaches in the world. The ferry will also take you to Vieques but I haven't been there since it stopped being a military testing ground. I've heard that's beautiful too.
3. El Yunque - the rainforest in PR is the only rainforest in the world that has grown in the last few centuries. Take the path to the waterfall in the middle it's amazing (but there's usually lots of people there :doubt:). Still worth it though
4. The Bio-luminescent bay in Fajardo - this was a candidate for one of the modern 7 wonders of the world. You can take a canoe or kayak out to the bay where microscopic bacteria glow beneath the water and it looks like a starlit sky beneath you. When I went you were allowed to swim and if you splashed water in the air it looked like you were throwing stars it was amazing!

Other places:
Arecibo Observatory - this is famous for being the location of the last fight scent in James Bond's Goldeneye. It's the largest radio observatory in the world and it's pretty cool.
El Morro - a castle in Old San Juan. It's beautiful and you can take great pictures there

Food:
CUBAN SANDWICHES! If you've never had one DO IT!!!!!!!!!
Majorca - get it fresh with powdered sugar on top
Mofongo - mashed plantains with your choice of meat (I like pork on it)
Churrasco - Puerto Rican style flank steak
Pastelillo de Guayaba - learn how to pronounce it and stop at any roadside bakery. They're my favorite desserts!

If I remember anything else I'll post it later :)

[MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION]
:udaman::udaman::udaman::udaman:

TheOldSchool has covered it pretty well - that should keep you pretty busy for just two days : )) We've promised ourselves that next time we do a cruise from PR, we're going to fly in a few days early so we can enjoy the island....

Oh, and I'm officially envious of you, Syrenn : )) But then I suppose many people are.....

OMG......guava and cheese pastries!!!!!!

IMG_2684.JPG

Pastelitos De Guayaba Y Queso (Guava and Cheese Puff Pastries)

TheOldSchool has covered it pretty well - that should keep you pretty busy for just two days : )) We've promised ourselves that next time we do a cruise from PR, we're going to fly in a few days early so we can enjoy the island....

Oh, and I'm officially envious of you, Syrenn : )) But then I suppose many people are.....

sadly...it is only two days. :(

sadly...it is only two days. :(

Oh well the castle has the best photo spots in San Juan so definitely go there. The beaches in San Juan are also great. Gilligan's and Flamenco are probably too far for a 2 day trip but there are some clear water beaches on Isla Verde that you could look up. Those are beautiful as well. And they're pretty near the airport and right next to San Juan.

I almost forgot!!!

Pina Coladas!!! Drink them!!!

And not the tourist trap ones in Old San Juan get one at a restaurant :thup:

mmmmmmm...... Rum....why is the rum gone!! I though about doing the Bacardi distillary tour. I love rum... though am not a fan of Bacardi

Casa Bacardi Distillery Tour - San Juan - Reviews of Casa Bacardi Distillery Tour - TripAdvisor

and....i found the pork highway!!!

Andrew Explores Puerto Rico : Video : Travel Channel

Oh shit the rum!!! How could I forget! The Bacardi tour is great AND they give you an original Mojito for free :thup:

I almost forgot!!!

Pina Coladas!!! Drink them!!!

And not the tourist trap ones in Old San Juan get one at a restaurant :thup:

mmmmmmm...... Rum....why is the rum gone!! I though about doing the Bacardi distillary tour. I love rum... though am not a fan of Bacardi

Casa Bacardi Distillery Tour - San Juan - Reviews of Casa Bacardi Distillery Tour - TripAdvisor

and....i found the pork highway!!!

Andrew Explores Puerto Rico : Video : Travel Channel

Oh shit the rum!!! How could I forget! The Bacardi tour is great AND they give you an original Mojito for free :thup:

yeah.... i thought about doing a rum tour of the Caribbean....we talked trips at the ministry of rum. Bacardi was never really up on my radar as a top shelf rum. I am quite sure i will be... indulging :)

and...really??... you like mojitos?? They just taste like scope to me.

And yup Cayey! I think I've actually been to that place in the video. Or at least somewhere like it. It was really good. Don't mind the stray dogs tho

cant be any worse then the stray roosters in Key West....... :lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back