Any runners here?

Bad case of gout ruined my 3mile a day run. 'I'm not sure if i will ever get back .'I'm not 100% so I walk. Two Tylenol along with my morning breakfast seems to ward off aches and pains long with liniment. Plus changing my diet in a radicle way seems to be easing off the gout.

1606349720037.png

Gave up running when arthritis hit most of my finger joints and knees. Too hard on my body when I was young and indestructible I guess.

I'm 88 and run a 5k every day. It helps in so many ways. How many miles per week do you run and how do you avoid aches and pains?

I do at least 8-10 miles a day, but I walk or hike and don't run.
I have a Fitbit and keep my heartrate at 117 or higher while on the trails.

I average 27,000 steps a day, or about 13 miles total, and burn an average around 4500 calories a day.
I don't have aches and pains, but I have the time to take things slower.

I'm 88 and run a 5k every day. It helps in so many ways. How many miles per week do you run and how do you avoid aches and pains?
I seriously am IMPRESSED like keep going! My momma is 95 & we think she can top 100 yrs age. She lost her lower left leg but is still mobile with the aid of a walker. I'll most likely check out of this life before you do. When you make it into the other side just ask around for jackflash from USMB board. I am impressed enough with your ability that I would like to meet you!

I was a regular runner from age 25 through 60 (I'm 71 now). An accident put my arm in a cast for six weeks, so I had to reconsider my fitness strategy, at least in the short term. After considerable research I concluded that interval training was a better long-term strategy at my age. Also, the pounding of road-running was starting to get to my legs. Later, I switched from running intervals to intervals on a stationary bike (I still pleasure-ride regularly in addition). I also walk 60 minutes a day - a little over three miles over some pretty significant hills.

Specifically, I do seven or eight 90-second intervals every other day or so. My level of cardio-fitness is as good as when I was doing my 3-5 mile runs.

If the OP is as stated - 88 years old and still running - I think you are crazy. No fitness benefit can possibly overcome the wear and tear on your body.

If you want to avoid aches and pains try riding a bike. Running puts your knees through a pounding at your age. Riding a bike helps your heart like running and it builds your legs like nothing else.
I used tobe a cross-country runner. I stopped running after my hip surgery....

Last edited:
Bad case of gout ruined my 3mile a day run. 'I'm not sure if i will ever get back .'I'm not 100% so I walk. Two Tylenol along with my morning breakfast seems to ward off aches and pains long with liniment. Plus changing my diet in a radicle way seems to be easing off the gout.
I had to swear off Tylenol, Aspirin, Advil, Aleve and all other drugs of that class, due to liver problems and uncontrollable bleeding.
Nor do I do "hard" or narcotic painkillers --- they cause me a terrible hangover headache --- which leaves me in worse pain than they were intended to relieve.

People have gone recreational with all prescription and over-the-counter medicines available.

I do at least 8-10 miles a day, but I walk or hike and don't run.
I have a Fitbit and keep my heartrate at 117 or higher while on the trails.

I average 27,000 steps a day, or about 13 miles total, and burn an average around 4500 calories a day.
I don't have aches and pains, but I have the time to take things slower.

You do that every day? Wow that's impressive! How long does it take you? I run half marathons in under 2 hours but it must take you at least twice that long to walk.

I "jog-walk" every day. That's pretty good for a truck driver. WTF is "jog-walking?" It's a term I coined to describe to people what I do. I have flat feet so jogging long distances is out of the question. So instead I jog a short distance, then walk a short distance. I do this for about a mile or two at the most and my ankles hurt so bad I can't stand them.

I try to do it every day. It takes me about 30 minutes because I can't go fast. I avoid all fast foods and really limit sugar intake. Joints get sore but I manage thru icing. Some days it more of a walk but some are jogs. Motion is lotion. I'm afraid to stop.

Yep it's only 3.1 miles is correct. Most days those 3 miles feel great. Some days those 3 feel like 26.2. That goes with age. Just imagine if every american who could run did run just one mile every day. The overall health of this nation goes up big time. Instead we look for health in some kind of pill. I will freely say we have a health and diet crisis in america. Sugar and fat, sugar and fat. It is sad.

You do that every day? Wow that's impressive! How long does it take you? I run half marathons in under 2 hours but it must take you at least twice that long to walk.

Around 4 hours give or take (8-10 miles).
Sometimes all at once and sometimes split morning/evening.

The American Heart Association recommends 10,000 steps a day (a little under 5 miles).
They also recommend regular intervals during the day of at least 250 steps an hour.
If I haven't gotten 500 steps in an hour, my watch will buzz 10 minutes before the hour, reminding me to get up and move.

I also have my watch set to 500 steps instead of 250, and for 12 hours (6 to 6), which equals a little under 3 miles a day total.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back