Any plans for a Mars mission must be scrapped now.

Thanks for the links but Venus isn't the Earth. Actual scientist Carl Sagan posited a similar terraforming option 60 years ago. You may be right but I think you are underestimating the power of genetic engineering. Certainly neither of us will live to see which of us is correct.

In other words, to hell with things like facts and actual science. You prefer to believe in your magic bacteria that can transform an entire planet in a century with no water.

junk-science.jpg

Also, what little of that article is available for free says nothing of the kind. So that is a complete and utter fail, you are simply making up what you want to believe and the article supports none of your claim.

In fact, his full hypothesis was made in 1961, and rendered invalid upon the discovery of how prevalent sulfuric acid was in the environment.

So you are taking a hypothesis over 60 years old, that was busted over 50 years ago.

Last edited:
Uh-huh. Tell me, how have the experiments like that worked so far?

Oh, I can answer that simply, they have not. And exploring is not "living". We have explored the Moon, we have not lived there. We have had explorers in space over us constantly for decades, but we still do not really live in space.

I doubt we will be there within the next 300 years, let alone 30.
It would make sense to first establish a base on the moon There are deposits of Helium 3 on the moon that would be useful if and when we get fusion power.

We can either gp to other planets and moons in our solar system or we can give reparations to all people who feel they are victims. I don’t think we can do both.

The first moon race brought about enormous advances in technology which we still enjoy today. Human exploration of our solar system would undoubtedly advance our technology In many ways.

In other words, to hell with things like facts and actual science. You prefer to believe in your magic bacteria that can transform an entire planet in a century with no water.

junk-science.jpg

Also, what little of that article is available for free says nothing of the kind. So that is a complete and utter fail, you are simply making up what you want to believe and the article supports none of your claim.

In fact, his full hypothesis was made in 1961, and rendered invalid upon the discovery of how prevalent sulfuric acid was in the environment.

So you are taking a hypothesis over 60 years old, that was busted over 50 years ago.
I guess you know what will be possible in 100 or 200 years. I don't.

And to close, Dr. Sagan was not the only one that looked into that. Another was quasi-crackpot scientist from England named Paul Birch did it also. He even published a scientific paper on it.

Now Paul was an interesting character. He loved writing scientific papers, and publishing them in the "Journal of the British Interplanetary Society". A journal that thrived on some of the most extreme claims, only separated from "junk science" in that they were at least remotely possible, even if not at all realistic.

He claimed it to be possible, if a few things were done first. Like importing huge amounts of hydrogen, which would produce graphite and water. This would cover most of the planet in water he believed. Then bombarding the planet with huge amounts of iron dust in order to help stabilize the atmosphere into inert nitrogen, therefore making it suitable for microbes that would emit oxygen. And he believed this could be done in just 200 years.

Of course, he knew there were other problems he did not know how to solve. Like changing the rotation of the planet so that it will change to something close to a 24 hour cycle like on Earth. And if not that, then a system of shades and mirrors to make an artificial day-night cycle over the entire planet.

Of course, old Paul also believed in an "Orbital Ring", which would be tethered to the planet by two massive cables. That had advantages, both being two giant "Space Elevators", as well as the effects of the magnetic fields would provide limitless free energy.

Might as well talk about Dyson Spheres as far as I am concerned.

It would make sense to first establish a base on the moon There are deposits of Helium 3 on the moon that would be useful if and when we get fusion power.

There is a difference between exploring and living.

Can we and should we explore the Moon, Mars, and other planets? In this I believe 100% that yes, we should.

But that is not the same thing as living on other planets.

Consider the difference between the explorers 500 years ago, and the colonists.

Columbus, Magellan, De Soto, Lewis and Clark, and the like all went out purely for exploration. To see what was out there, and discover what could be discovered. However, it was only later that the colonists made the journey. With spouses and children to then exploit what had been discovered earlier.

There is a difference between exploring the moon or say Galapagos, and actually transporting people to live there. Remaining on that for the rest of their lives, with spouses and children to continue the cycle of life eternally without support from outside.

We have already done several experiments in this on our own planet, and they have all largely failed. Both Sealab and various Biodomes have tried to replicate that on our planet, and all have largely failed. We have yet to create an artificial self-sustaining ecosystem that will allow humans to survive without outside assistance. And until that can ever happen, the most we will ever be is explorers.

And to be honest, I question if we ever will by the year 3000. Because every time they think they figure it out and make it work, it ultimately fails. And trust me, I have even tried raising ecospheres. They are kind of cool, but in most of them the ecosystem breaks down in around 3-5 years.

There is a difference between exploring and living.

Can we and should we explore the Moon, Mars, and other planets? In this I believe 100% that yes, we should.

But that is not the same thing as living on other planets.

Consider the difference between the explorers 500 years ago, and the colonists.

Columbus, Magellan, De Soto, Lewis and Clark, and the like all went out purely for exploration. To see what was out there, and discover what could be discovered. However, it was only later that the colonists made the journey. With spouses and children to then exploit what had been discovered earlier.

There is a difference between exploring the moon or say Galapagos, and actually transporting people to live there. Remaining on that for the rest of their lives, with spouses and children to continue the cycle of life eternally without support from outside.

We have already done several experiments in this on our own planet, and they have all largely failed. Both Sealab and various Biodomes have tried to replicate that on our planet, and all have largely failed. We have yet to create an artificial self-sustaining ecosystem that will allow humans to survive without outside assistance. And until that can ever happen, the most we will ever be is explorers.

And to be honest, I question if we ever will by the year 3000. Because every time they think they figure it out and make it work, it ultimately fails. And trust me, I have even tried raising ecospheres. They are kind of cool, but in most of them the ecosystem breaks down in around 3-5 years.
So we start off colonizing the moon. We are close enough that we can provide aid quickly when things go wrong. If things don’t work, we can bring the colony back to earth. We can learn a lot with this approach.

We can also bring a large asteroid into earth orbit and mine it. We then can build a colony on the inside of the asteroid as we hollow it out. This of course would be quite a while out in the future. We might also be able to use this hollowed out asteroid to travel the solar system. Perhaps eventually we could use it to travel to the stars.

Any mission to Mars must be scrapped now. A Mars mission will be a suicide mission. Its just to far, and has to much radiation. To many areas for telemetry errors for the mission to and from Mars.

Well, people might have said that about the Moon. If you went to the North or South Pole of the Moon wearing what the 12 astronauts wore, you'd die, very quickly. And yet they went and they didn't die.

Forum List

Back