Any home theater audiophiles?

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
Just curious if we have anyone into home theater equipment.

I'm starting to research speakers for my home theater and possibly a power amp to and pre amp and processor. Looking for any advice.

For speakers, I'm going to start with the front left and right, and then build from there, but since its difficult for me to home demo speakers, I have to basically go with reviews and word of mouth testimonies.

The ones in currently looking at are:

Ascend sierra towers
Paradigm prestige 75F
Canton 896.2
Kef q750 or q950
Chane A5.5
Also possibly something from fluance

I'm also looking to possibly move from a home theater receiver to separates. First purchase would be a power amp but I'm not sure where to go on this, as far as brand. Right now, I'll be setting up a 5.1 system, but possibly moving to a 7.1 and maybe a 7.2 later.

I'm thinking something in the area of 125 to 150 watts per channel will be plenty as long as it's all channels driven.

Thing is, I'm not sure if it's better to go with a 5 channels amp, then add another 2 channel later, when I go to 7 channels, or if it's better to just buy 7 individual single channel maps. Also, price is a consideration, as I dont want to be spending a fortune on this. Rotel makes some reasonably priced 5 channel maps but I'm not sure about their quality. Outlaw audio also makes a fairly decent priced 7 channel, and on accessories4less, there is actually a marantz 7 channel amp, factory refurbished for about 40% off it's new price.

Was wanting to see if we had any enthusiasts who might be able to give some insight.

Just curious if we have anyone into home theater equipment.

I'm starting to research speakers for my home theater and possibly a power amp to and pre amp and processor. Looking for any advice.

For speakers, I'm going to start with the front left and right, and then build from there, but since its difficult for me to home demo speakers, I have to basically go with reviews and word of mouth testimonies.

The ones in currently looking at are:

Ascend sierra towers
Paradigm prestige 75F
Canton 896.2
Kef q750 or q950
Chane A5.5
Also possibly something from fluance

I'm also looking to possibly move from a home theater receiver to separates. First purchase would be a power amp but I'm not sure where to go on this, as far as brand. Right now, I'll be setting up a 5.1 system, but possibly moving to a 7.1 and maybe a 7.2 later.

I'm thinking something in the area of 125 to 150 watts per channel will be plenty as long as it's all channels driven.

Thing is, I'm not sure if it's better to go with a 5 channels amp, then add another 2 channel later, when I go to 7 channels, or if it's better to just buy 7 individual single channel maps. Also, price is a consideration, as I dont want to be spending a fortune on this. Rotel makes some reasonably priced 5 channel maps but I'm not sure about their quality. Outlaw audio also makes a fairly decent priced 7 channel, and on accessories4less, there is actually a marantz 7 channel amp, factory refurbished for about 40% off it's new price.

Was wanting to see if we had any enthusiasts who might be able to give some insight.

You should consider a visit to "PartsExpress.com"

They have forums for gadget and tech geeks (like me) and as many options for you budget as you could possibly want.

I'm busy putting together a better system than I have now, but I'm looking at a headphone system; my ears get worse every year, and the high end high impedance headphones and the DACs and headphone amplifiers are my best bang for the buck, along with the multi-format CD players. The 'home theater' stores don't carry any of that stuff, so I have to rely on online shopping, which I hate to use, since I can't try the gear before I buy it. Even the music stores don't carry high end audio any more.

As for older gear, I run across older amps and the like at dirt cheap prices at second hand stores like Goodwill and pawns shops occasionally. You might try a scavenger hunt if you live in a sizable city or metro region.

As an addendum, the high density music file format CD's will run you around $40 -$120, which is about what vinyl records cost in the 1970's, adjusted for inflation, not a bad price at all for a much higher quality recording that plays on mid to high end audio gear and gets the most out of it . You can also find single song downloads in the various file types, but be sure and shop for your artists first, to see which format will have the largest selections of your favorites.

I'm deaf. I consider this post unapproiate. Reported.

hehe. I am about deaf but found that a nice set Sony MDRv6 and a tube amp sound pretty good to what I have left for hearing. Far as in the room, bothers me bad, kinda like florescent and an epileptic.

However I used to enjoy home systems alot! 2 350 amp Dynacos and 4 Cerwin Vega studio speakers were about right. "Charge of the light Brigade" oh man.

Forum List

Back