Any guitar players?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
epZcwTz.jpg

I spent 23 years playing Fenders. Not from Cars or Trucks. And I can't think of a deadlier up close weapon than a Fender Precision.

...or the shorter scale Fender Jazz bass for really close up. Then bury them in an Ampeg SVT cabinet. Plenty of room in there. :biggrin:

A Norlin era Gibson Les Paul with the three ply maple (set) neck & the pancake body, that weighs in @ about 11 to 12 pounds would make an excellent instrument for blunt force injuries & death upon just about any victim. :dev3:

A Norlin era Gibson Les Paul with the three ply maple (set) neck & the pancake body, that weighs in @ about 11 to 12 pounds would make an excellent instrument for blunt force injuries & death upon just about any victim. :dev3:

Man Killed With Electric Guitar: Austin Police Charge Peter Andrew Levay With Murder | HuffPost

Pastor Killed, Beaten With Electric Guitar

Police: Iowa man killed mother with Les Paul guitar

It is also possible to set-up an old tube amp to electrocute someone when they pickup a guitar attached to the amp via cable. All you would need to do is convince the victim to pickup the guitar. It happened to me twice over a period of many years but it was accidental in both incidents. Also, there was not enuff amperage to kill me in either occasion. But it is possible to tweak things to achieve such a dastardly outcome. Jus' sayin' ............

Man Killed With Electric Guitar: Austin Police Charge Peter Andrew Levay With Murder | HuffPost

It is also possible to set-up an old tube amp to electrocute someone when they pickup a guitar attached to the amp via cable. All you would need to do is convince the victim to pickup the guitar. It happened to me twice over a period of many years but it was accidental in both incidents. Also, there was not enuff amperage to kill me in either occasion. But it is possible to tweak things to achieve such a dastardly outcome. Jus' sayin' ............

I've been zapped so many times from a guitar amp and PA microphone being out of phase, I can't remember. As long as your feet aren't wet and you're not standing on concrete, you're ok.

The real voltage plus an appreciable amount of current is in the 500 VDC plus or minus B+ voltage supply in the rectifier circuit of an amp with 4 6L6 tubes. That shit can knock you on your ass if it gets a good hold on you while you're doing a repair job.

Or even worse, the horizontal output transistor on one of those old CGA or EGA monitors from the 1980's. Get ahold of that, and you'll turn Amish and give up electricity for good.

I've been zapped so many times from a guitar amp and PA microphone being out of phase, I can't remember. As long as your feet aren't wet and you're not standing on concrete, you're ok.

The real voltage plus an appreciable amount of current is in the 500 VDC plus or minus B+ voltage supply in the rectifier circuit of an amp with 4 6L6 tubes. That shit can knock you on your ass if it gets a good hold on you while you're doing a repair job.

Or even worse, the horizontal output transistor on one of those old CGA or EGA monitors from the 1980's. Get ahold of that, and you'll turn Amish and give up electricity for good.

when I was a teenager in welding school learning TIG aka heliarc something went wrong with the set-up when I was using it.
As soon as I struck an arc I was traveling about 15 feet backwards & thrown directly into a cinder block wall inside our welding lab.
Everyone told me I was lucky to be alive; no shit? I felt like someone had beaten me for the next few days. It was quite brutal.

That's why you tap the mic with your fingers before you put your mouth near it. :)

I spent 23 years playing Fenders. Not from Cars or Trucks. And I can't think of a deadlier up close weapon than a Fender Precision.

...or the shorter scale Fender Jazz bass for really close up. Then bury them in an Ampeg SVT cabinet. Plenty of room in there. :biggrin:

On and off (mostly on) I wore that Precision strapped to my neck. It's like having an entire lumber yard hanging from your neck. But the best sounding lumber yard ever devised by man. If you need one sustained note for the entire set, you could pluck it, order a drink, sit down and only have to get up to end that note. Break out the bengay. Never weighed the thing. But the Jazz was a faster instrument by far. Just didn't have the sustain.

That's why you tap the mic with your fingers before you put your mouth near it. :)

In Europe, we used to have to ground everything to each other or you could weld with the static. I've seen chunks of meat burn off from that hot current.

when I was a teenager in welding school learning TIG aka heliarc something went wrong with the set-up when I was using it.
As soon as I struck an arc I was traveling about 15 feet backwards & thrown directly into a cinder block wall inside our welding lab.
Everyone told me I was lucky to be alive; no shit? I felt like someone had beaten me for the next few days. It was quite brutal.

In Europe, I learned the hard way not to have your hand on your axe and hold the other person guitar. The floor comes up fast.

On and off (mostly on) I wore that Precision strapped to my neck. It's like having an entire lumber yard hanging from your neck. But the best sounding lumber yard ever devised by man. If you need one sustained note for the entire set, you could pluck it, order a drink, sit down and only have to get up to end that note. Break out the bengay. Never weighed the thing. But the Jazz was a faster instrument by far. Just didn't have the sustain.

I bought a brand new Gibson Les Paul recording bass in '74, before I got out of the Army. Most unwieldy guitar ever made, unless you count those round-back Ovation acoustic guitars that slide off your knee when you're sitting. Bought that, a fender Jazz bass, and a crappy Acoustic solid state amp. Glad I didn't keep the bass, it would only be worth about $2 grand today, which isn't all that much appreciation.

Some of the Fender Stratocasters I had back in the 70's would probably be worth more. Nothing beats a real Strat played at an appreciable volume through a 100 Watt Fender Twin Reverb with 2-12" speakers, or an old Marshall JCM800 with double-stacked cabinets.

I bought all of these in the mid to late 70's, and only still have the Rick.

Fender Strat x 2
Fender Telecaster
Rickenbacker 4001 stereo bass (dayglo blue)
Gibson Thunderbird bass - was like holding a dead body while playing bass
Fender Precision bass

Forum List

Back