Any bird watchers... cannot figure out what these are.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Extremely small. Yellow head, green body.
The one photo, that is a twig behind it... not a part of it's beak. Beak is tiny and triangular.
Not a hummingbird (obviously) but they dart around quickly, but fly like a normal bird (not like a hummingbird)
I would say the bird is no larger than 3" tops. I can't overstate how small these birds are.
I live in Indiana.

bird one.jpg

birdtwo.jpg

The one photo, that is a twig behind it... not a part of it's beak. Beak is tiny and triangular.
Not a hummingbird (obviously) but they dart around quickly, but fly like a normal bird (not like a hummingbird)
I would say the bird is no larger than 3" tops. I can't overstate how small these birds are.
I live in Indiana.

View attachment 546961

View attachment 546962
If you join a birdwatching group on Facebook you'll know in about 30 seconds.
Looks like a Warbler.

Last edited:
I live in Indiana.

View attachment 546961

View attachment 546962
Maybe an American Goldfinch. Breeding Female. American Goldfinch Identification, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Yeah... I did just post on facebook...
Answer is Black Throated Green Warbler.

WAAAAY out of their normal habitat. They live in Canada, almost exclusively. And summer in Southern Virginia and Georgia.
They have been here all summer.
Way out of normal behavior.
During migration, it is possible to see in Indiana... but certainly not during summer

I live in Indiana.

View attachment 546961

View attachment 546962

Right click on the image

Select "search the web for image"

appears to be a warbler. You can find it in your search engine. Green birds of Indiana.

I saw my first EVER Scarlet Tanager for first time ever last summer.

Very interesting to see these birds here in Southern Indiana sooo far from it's normal Habitat.
All summer long a hand full of them have been hanging around our Mimosa Tree.
These are almost exclusively Canadian/extreme Northeast America that winter in Georgia/South Carolina.
Almost makes me wonder if someone bought these birds and decided to let them go.

Forum List

Back