Another take on the immigration issue

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Let's say I break into your house

A lady wrote the best letter in the Editorials in ages!! It explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV.

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I! 'm hardworking and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hardworking and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hardworking and honest, um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of being selfish, prejudiced, racist and mean spirited! Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me.

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is? Only in America ....if you agree, pass it on (in English). Share it if you see the value of it as a good simile. If not blow it off along with your future Social Security funds.

Let's say I break into your house

A lady wrote the best letter in the Editorials in ages!! It explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV.

Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I! 'm hardworking and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hardworking and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hardworking and honest, um, except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of being selfish, prejudiced, racist and mean spirited! Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me.

Why can't people see how ridiculous this is? Only in America ....if you agree, pass it on (in English). Share it if you see the value of it as a good simile. If not blow it off along with your future Social Security funds.

Well, it IS ridiculous, but most Americans would agree.

There's hundreds of those kind of articles popping up everywhere, so big deal. DO SOMEHTING ABOUT IT, make a plan, don't hire the SOB'S, turn em in, smoke em out. Don't communicate with them if they don't speak English.

Works for me.:firing:

Well, it IS ridiculous, but most Americans would agree.

There's hundreds of those kind of articles popping up everywhere, so big deal. DO SOMEHTING ABOUT IT, make a plan, don't hire the SOB'S, turn em in, smoke em out. Don't communicate with them if they don't speak English.

Works for me.:firing:

That's all fine and dandy, and I do just that, but I'm not a congressmen or senator, and they're the sons a bitches that are helping them, especially the stinking democrats.

That's all fine and dandy, and I do just that, but I'm not a congressmen or senator, and they're the sons a bitches that are helping them, especially the stinking democrats.

Its in your signature Pale, silence gives consent.

We have to speak up, or lose this country to the fucking aliens.

:thumbdown:

Its in your signature Pale, silence gives consent.

We have to speak up, or lose this country to the fucking aliens.

:thumbdown:

How do we lose this country to the illegal immigrants? Italian immigrants came here in large numbers, many of them were undocumented. People yelled, screamed, and created racial slurs: what happened? Americans eat more italian food and there are more catholics.

Americans became disgusted with the overflow of Irish immigrants. They refused to hire them, forced them into ghettos, and created slurs: what happened? They helped greatly in the development of urban america and are as accepted today as any group.

The problems of Mexico and South America will one day be lessened. That, combined with the tightening of our borders, will lighten the flow across our borders. There will be a lot of hispanic-americans, they will add to our culture, and eventually they will be accepted.

Now what exactly is the problem?

How do we lose this country to the illegal immigrants? Italian immigrants came here in large numbers, many of them were undocumented. People yelled, screamed, and created racial slurs: what happened? Americans eat more italian food and there are more catholics.

Americans became disgusted with the overflow of Irish immigrants. They refused to hire them, forced them into ghettos, and created slurs: what happened? They helped greatly in the development of urban america and are as accepted today as any group.

The problems of Mexico and South America will one day be lessened. That, combined with the tightening of our borders, will lighten the flow across our borders. There will be a lot of hispanic-americans, they will add to our culture, and eventually they will be accepted.

Ok observations, you have links?

Ok observations, you have links?

Links...to what part?

WOP's turned into Olive Gardens.

Windows that once said 'I.N.N.A.' now say "thank you NYPD"

The last part...well that is the nature of humanity. It was not too long ago that people referred to India as third world country. Now their economic prowess is going to surpass the USA's.

Americans are not the only ones searching for solutions. The immigration across our southern border is a result of financial despair and discontent. These factors also breed activism among those who stay. As the grass-roots movements grow, changes will occur.

There are no constants in this world...expect change.

Links...to what part?

WOP's turned into Olive Gardens.

Windows that once said 'I.N.N.A.' now say "thank you NYPD"

The last part...well that is the nature of humanity. It was not too long ago that people referred to India as third world country. Now their economic prowess is going to surpass the USA's.

Americans are not the only ones searching for solutions. The immigration across our southern border is a result of financial despair and discontent. These factors also breed activism among those who stay. As the grass-roots movements grow, changes will occur.

There are no constants in this world...expect change.

This:

Italian immigrants came here in large numbers, many of them were undocumented.
As for the treatment Irish received, I'll give no arguement. My grandparents were documented, didn't stop the police from taking my grandfather off of boat onto another to fight in Cuba C 1898.

You're full of shit. The immigrants you mentioned came here legally and assimilated. Please show me ONE instance where anyone who is against illegal immigration and/or the stopping thereof has stated they are against LEGAL immigration.

You can't. Your argument is a lie and it sucks.

Just beef up the borders so me, man. I want more legal immigrants in the country.

The fact is, we really don't even need them, but THAT is another topic; which BR-549 keeps trying to skew into the argument against illegals.

While I think our immigration laws need to be changed to reflect the current USA, I take no issue with those who emigrate here legally.

I take a LOT of issue with those criminals who are here illegally while my taxpayer dollars are footing the bill for them to overburden our social infrastructure while they pay nothing.

The fact is, we really don't even need them, but THAT is another topic; which BR-549 keeps trying to skew into the argument against illegals.

While I think our immigration laws need to be changed to reflect the current USA, I take no issue with those who emigrate here legally.

I take a LOT of issue with those criminals who are here illegally while my taxpayer dollars are footing the bill for them to overburden our social infrastructure while they pay nothing.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

We shouldn't have to foot the bill for people who can't even come here the legal way. They should have to suffer the way everyone else does to live here.

This:

As for the treatment Irish received, I'll give no arguement. My grandparents were documented, didn't stop the police from taking my grandfather off of boat onto another to fight in Cuba C 1898.

The Italians faced the same uphill battle as the irish: they came in large numbers, many were undocumented, they were catholic, they were associated with crime and various other stereotypes (WOP is even a stereotype), they were forced to live in ghetto environments.

You're full of shit. The immigrants you mentioned came here legally and assimilated. Please show me ONE instance where anyone who is against illegal immigration and/or the stopping thereof has stated they are against LEGAL immigration.

You can't. Your argument is a lie and it sucks.

You're history is full of shit. There were few restrictions on immigration when Europeans originally came here. They were allowed to naturalize after 2 years. That does not mean they were well received. They were discriminated against greatly.

In the late 19th century, many laws were passed to try to deter immigration from Asia. A system of quotas for European immigrants did not begin until 1924.

During the period of 1880-1920, when eastern/southern europeans came in droves, many immigrants were still not "legal". They would not take the necessary steps for naturalization, thus they were "without papers", as the slur suggests.

The Italians faced the same uphill battle as the irish: they came in large numbers, many were undocumented, they were catholic, they were associated with crime and various other stereotypes (WOP is even a stereotype), they were forced to live in ghetto environments.

You're history is full of shit. There were few restrictions on immigration when Europeans originally came here. They were allowed to naturalize after 2 years. That does not mean they were well received. They were discriminated against greatly.

In the late 19th century, many laws were passed to try to deter immigration from Asia. A system of quotas for European immigrants did not begin until 1924.

During the period of 1880-1920, when eastern/southern europeans came in droves, many immigrants were still not "legal". They would not take the necessary steps for naturalization, thus they were "without papers", as the slur suggests.

Where does the 'undocumented' part come into play? My grandparents, all 4 of them, were documented, which doesn't mean they didn't encounter discrimination, conscription.

The immigration laws at the time were non-existent, per se, yet, the immigrants had to have documentation of where they were coming from, health, education, etc.

Where does the 'undocumented' part come into play? My grandparents, all 4 of them, were documented, which doesn't mean they didn't encounter discrimination, conscription.

The immigration laws at the time were non-existent, per se, yet, the immigrants had to have documentation of where they were coming from, health, education, etc.

the "undocumented" part comes into play because many were. As you say, discrimination was not limited to the undocumented immigrants.

Immigrants were also required to naturalize, they were not citizens for walking on to American soil. Like I said, they could begin the process after living here for two years.

the "undocumented" part comes into play because many were. As you say, discrimination was not limited to the undocumented immigrants.

Immigrants were also required to naturalize, they were not citizens for walking on to American soil. Like I said, they could begin the process after living here for two years.
and once again, link to the undocumented/illegal immigrants.

Irrelevant. Irish/Italian/Catholic immigrants are not an issue now. Different time, different World, different Nation.

The flood of illegal Mexican immigrants are coming here NOW and are a problem NOW ... not 100 years in the past.

Kathianne said:
and once again, link to the undocumented/illegal immigrants

I have never heard it disputed.

http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/investigative/2001/intro.shtml

You should find something on that site ^^it is mostly about present day immigration, but it refers to the past as well.

Irrelevant. Irish/Italian/Catholic immigrants are not an issue now. Different time, different World, different Nation.

The flood of illegal Mexican immigrants are coming here NOW and are a problem NOW ... not 100 years in the past.

A thoughtless response. The point is that your fears were voiced 100 years ago and they proved to be false. History shows us that the evolution of culture is a powerful process.

If you try to conquer the world, I will fully expect a late summer invasion of russia. The past is irrelevant, you have no knowledge of Charles XII, Napoleon, or Hitler.

Seriously, the days of 'open borders' in US should be over. We are over 60 persons per sq. mi. Many of those miles are desert or swamp or mountains. So a lot more than 60 per sq. 'inhabitable' mile.

I'm all for immigration. I'll even give a preference to 'poor nations' after the educated people we need. Of those 'poor' let's give our neighbor to the south an extra push, whatever it is. Then hold them to it.

I have never heard it disputed.

http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/investigative/2001/intro.shtml

You should find something on that site ^^it is mostly about present day immigration, but it refers to the past as well.

A thoughtless response. The point is that your fears were voiced 100 years ago and they proved to be false. History shows us that the evolution of culture is a powerful process.

If you try to conquer the world, I will fully expect a late summer invasion of russia. The past is irrelevant, you have no knowledge of Charles XII, Napoleon, or Hitler.

Of course it's thoughtless. Doesn't agree with your BS is about all the requirement it needs to meet.

Again let me point out that you are comparing apples to oranges; therefore, your argument is irrelevant, not to mention WRONG.

One hundred years ago, there were not a million illegal immigrants flooding into this Nation and raping it like a swarm of locusts, refusing to assimilate into our culture, and taking theitr ill-gotten gains back across the border for 3-6 months out of the year.

History shows that when a Nation's cultural bond is destroyed, that nation ceases to exist, contrary to that crapola you posted.

You are just stupid, and as I've pointed out before, quit flapping your gums and come on down here to the Southwest and SEE what's going on. Not that you would. You appear to be quite unable to differentiate between your Utopian fantasy and the real world.

Evolution of culture my ass.

Forum List

Back