Another School Shooting - Wisconsin

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
CAZENOVIA, Wis. (AP) — The principal at Weston School was shot Friday morning by a former student who entered the school armed with multiple weapons, WKOW-TV reported.
The district told WKOW that Principal John Klang was shot, but would not confirm his condition. The station reported that the school is in lockdown.

People who answered the phones at the Sauk County Sheriff's Department and the Weston School District did not immediately comment to The Associated Press.

Richland County Sheriff Chief Deputy Tom Hougan was at the scene outside the southwest Wisconsin school, but would not confirm the details because it was not in his jurisdiction.

"The students are safe," Hougan told the AP. "The scene is secure."

A woman who answered the phone at the school district's office confirmed one person had been shot and said no one else was hurt. The woman, who would not give her name, said the gunman had been taken into custody.

more at link: http://www.startribune.com/462/story/710040.html

Allow teachers and/or principals to pack weapons, instead of making schools "gun-free zones," and I bet you'll see it go away.

i am surprised they don't, considering this place is in the middle of nowhere in WI...the city is about 20-30 minutes from the Dells, and about 3.5-4 hours from the Cities.

the article says the shooter was a freshman kid who had few friends, and was known for 'joking' around about bringing things to school and hurting others. I know rural residents can be a bit naive, but come on, they don't live on another planet-they had to know about other shootings by students around the country. They had to know from seeing this on TV and int he paper, that kids like this almost always sound like they are joking, but there is a part of what they are saying that would be considered intent or pre-meditation.

The kid obviously was in need of help, but no one saw the signs? No one thought-hey this kid might not be fully joking.

Part of me wonders why he targeted the principal. The article says everyone loved him, he was a good guy, listened to students, etc., but what if he wasn't? Maybe he's not as innocent as he was thought to be? With that few of kids in a school of K-12 grades, you would think he would know each of the kids at least somewhat. How was this freshman kid missed or how did he fall through the cracks?

I graduated with 895 students, total school population was appx 3600, class size averaged 35-45 depending on subject. Yet the most we had was fistfights between students, and that was very rare. The kids who seemed like they needed help for anything were noticed by the teachers. They observed each kids' behavior regularly. With that many kids in the school, you have to, to make sure everything stays level.

i am surprised they don't, considering this place is in the middle of nowhere in WI...the city is about 20-30 minutes from the Dells, and about 3.5-4 hours from the Cities.

the article says the shooter was a freshman kid who had few friends, and was known for 'joking' around about bringing things to school and hurting others. I know rural residents can be a bit naive, but come on, they don't live on another planet-they had to know about other shootings by students around the country. They had to know from seeing this on TV and int he paper, that kids like this almost always sound like they are joking, but there is a part of what they are saying that would be considered intent or pre-meditation.

The kid obviously was in need of help, but no one saw the signs? No one thought-hey this kid might not be fully joking.

Part of me wonders why he targeted the principal. The article says everyone loved him, he was a good guy, listened to students, etc., but what if he wasn't? Maybe he's not as innocent as he was thought to be? With that few of kids in a school of K-12 grades, you would think he would know each of the kids at least somewhat. How was this freshman kid missed or how did he fall through the cracks?

I graduated with 895 students, total school population was appx 3600, class size averaged 35-45 depending on subject. Yet the most we had was fistfights between students, and that was very rare. The kids who seemed like they needed help for anything were noticed by the teachers. They observed each kids' behavior regularly. With that many kids in the school, you have to, to make sure everything stays level.

The principal died. The kid is charged with homocide 1. He had been expelled, guess his parents must have gotten mad or something.

This world is becoming violent, the reason the Lord brought on the flood is because of the violence of the world.

The problem with your argument is which ones do you take seriously? Make an accusation and they just put on a smiley-face and say they were just playing. Look at the reactions on this very board when we feel a school has gone paranoid Nazi on some student.

I vaguely recall a grade-school version of "Joy to the World" (the Christmas song, not the 3Dog Night one!) that included burning down the school and hanging he principal by the flagpole lanyard. The thought of actually doing it never entered our minds. It was just a mean-spirited spoof.

I just think it's a LOT harder to tel who is and who is not unhinged before-the-fact.

The problem with your argument is which ones do you take seriously? Make an accusation and they just put on a smiley-face and say they were just playing. Look at the reactions on this very board when we feel a school has gone paranoid Nazi on some student.

I vaguely recall a grade-school version of "Joy to the World" (the Christmas song, not the 3Dog Night one!) that included burning down the school and hanging he principal by the flagpole lanyard. The thought of actually doing it never entered our minds. It was just a mean-spirited spoof.

I just think it's a LOT harder to tel who is and who is not unhinged before-the-fact.

a Christmas song parody is different than saying outright that they would bring stuff to hurt people. The kids that have done this type of thing had at least one thing in common - they're loners or have a few friends, have negative behavior in the past -these 3 should be a red flag. If the kid had done stuff in the past that got him in trouble, and was saying this stuff, maybe intervention actions are needed.

there was another shooting within the past hour at a one room school house in Amish country of all places

how many shootings this past week or so? 5? I dont see any real pattern, but can so many be coincidences?

how many shootings this past week or so? 5? I dont see any real pattern, but can so many be coincidences?

Could it be that the two today were influenced by the rest this past week? I honestly don't know what the media coverage has been on these things, so if it was on the news, it very likely could've at least influenced the kid in WI.

The Amish story is just terrible. And I think it was clear that this guy was a total psycho, so I'm not about to blame it on the media or anything. Besides, trying to blame these acts on any one thing is stupid.

As for kids "joking around" about hurting teachers, each other, etc., yeah, I can absolutely vouch for that. I was in tenth grade when Columbine happened and it wasn't more than a day or two later when people started making jokes, mainly because that's what stupid teenagers do: make jokes about horrible things to either a) shock/offend people or b) impress their friends. I can think of at least five students who would've been expelled if their comments were taken seriously.

What'd he use, a crossbow?

Dude, waaaaaaay too soon.

Dude, waaaaaaay too soon.

Actually, I was mostly serious. Until I saw the story, I didn't know it was a truck driver using an actual gun. When I hear 'school shooting,' I think some kid going psycho and killing his fellow students. In Amish country, I was wondering where a kid like that would get a gun in the first place. It wasn't until long after I made that post (still in shock about how we could have so many so close together) that I found out the guy was a truck driver from elsewhere.

Actually, I was mostly serious. Until I saw the story, I didn't know it was a truck driver using an actual gun. When I hear 'school shooting,' I think some kid going psycho and killing his fellow students. In Amish country, I was wondering where a kid like that would get a gun in the first place. It wasn't until long after I made that post (still in shock about how we could have so many so close together) that I found out the guy was a truck driver from elsewhere.

Lets just make sure that we avoid all truckers!

Ah, I see. But, don't the Amish use guns to hunt?

That's why I asked. Anyway, that aside, the only thing like this that has ever hit me harder was the Jonesboro one, as I knew some people who went to that school (none of the victims, thankfully). People at work ask me why I need such a big knife to open boxes (4 inch folding lock blade). I tell them that it's not just for boxes. I also keep my marksmanship up. Nobody's gonna catch me napping.

That's why I asked. Anyway, that aside, the only thing like this that has ever hit me harder was the Jonesboro one, as I knew some people who went to that school (none of the victims, thankfully). People at work ask me why I need such a big knife to open boxes (4 inch folding lock blade). I tell them that it's not just for boxes. I also keep my marksmanship up. Nobody's gonna catch me napping.
Tim collects medieval knives and daggers, so anyone messing around in our house that is not supposed to be there, will meet the business end of one of them (most likely the cobra dagger) if either of us caught them.

Forum List

Back