Another Safe Haven For Illegals

red states rule

May 30, 2006
It seems more elected officials are ignoring the law and doing what they want to do

Now illegals have another safe haven - at the expense of the taxpayers of the city

Illegal aliens poised for new haven in Connecticut
REUTERS NEWS AGENCY
July 23, 2007
As many U.S. cities and states arrest illegal aliens in raids and toughen laws against them, a Connecticut city is offering to validate them under a new, first-in-the-nation ID-card program.

Starting tomorrow, New Haven will offer illegal aliens municipal identification cards that allow access to city services such as libraries and a chance to open bank accounts.

Supporters say the cards will improve public safety and give illegal aliens protections now afforded legal residents. Critics contend that it will unleash a flood of illegal immigration, straining services and wasting taxpayer money.

New Haven officials overwhelmingly approved the program last month in a 25 to 1 vote.

Backers and detractors alike say the program appears to fill a vacuum after Congress failed to act on immigration reform, leaving many towns and cities struggling with how to deal with a growing undocumented population.

Kica Matos, a leader of local Hispanic advocacy group Junta for Progressive Action, said undocumented workers are often targeted by thieves and robbed because they carry cash, a result of not being able to open a bank account.

"Part of the reason they can't open bank accounts is because they don't have forms of identification that were valid," she said.

She said two banks have agreed to accept the new city card, which will be offered to all New Haven residents, as legitimate identification sufficient for opening an account.

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/NATION/107230060/1001

It seems more elected officials are ignoring the law and doing what they want to do

Now illegals have another safe haven - at the expense of the taxpayers of the city

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/NATION/107230060/1001

I know of no law that forbids a municipality from extending public services to undocumented aliens. If the taxpayers of the city elected those representatives who voted for the measure (as they obviously did), that surely does not bother you. This is an example of local government at work, removed from the law arm of the feds. I would think that you would applaud this measure as a fine example of federalism at work.

I know of no law that forbids a municipality from extending public services to undocumented aliens. If the taxpayers of the city elected those representatives who voted for the measure (as they obviously did), that surely does not bother you. This is an example of local government at work, removed from the law arm of the feds. I would think that you would applaud this measure as a fine example of federalism at work.

What part of illegal do you not understand?

Illegal for them to enter? Yes.

Illegal for them to remain? Yes.

Illegal for them to work? Yes.

Illegal for a municipality to offer public services to them? Not that I am aware of.

Public services are intended for US citizens - unless a new law was passed and I missed it

Public services are intended for US citizens - unless a new law was passed and I missed it

Public municipal services are intended for whomever the municipality says the services are intended for. That is state and local government at work. You obviously disagree with this, but you are not a resident of that municipality. Leave to the voters who are affected to address the issue in the democratic manner, if they so desire.

Public municipal services are intended for whomever the municipality says the services are intended for. That is state and local government at work. You obviously disagree with this, but you are not a resident of that municipality. Leave to the voters who are affected to address the issue in the democratic manner, if they so desire.

Why should anyone pay for an illegals "public services"?

Libs voting for libs - enough said

Now what were the talking points about the employers cauing the illegals to come to the US

I would suppose that liberals do vote for liberals.

The continued availability of jobs for illegal immigrants is the primary reason for illegal immigration. That is not a liberal talking point. Everyone agrees with that.

I would suppose that liberals do vote for liberals.

The continued availability of jobs for illegal immigrants is the primary reason for illegal immigration. That is not a liberal talking point. Everyone agrees with that.

and a city turns around and offers the free goodies to the illegals and you do not have a problem with that :rolleyes:

The truth and the facts is usually all one needs

But we don't disagree about the facts. In nothing that we wrote did we demonstrate a disagreement about any of the facts of the story, or anything else.

I don't know what truth it is you are referring to.

Come on RSR, you have tons of silly little statements you make to close an argument. At least choose the right silly statement.

Next time, I would suggest something general like "Libs never met a downtrodden that they couldn't embrace."

But we don't disagree about the facts. In nothing that we wrote did we demonstrate a disagreement about any of the facts of the story, or anything else.

I don't know what truth it is you are referring to.

Come on RSR, you have tons of silly little statements you make to close an argument. At least choose the right silly statement.

Next time, I would suggest something general like "Libs never met a downtrodden that they couldn't embrace."

So your selective outrage is directed at business only - not the government that encourages illegals to flock to the city

While the legal residents pay the bill

So your selective outrage is directed at business only - not the government that encourages illegals to flock to the city

While the legal residents pay the bill

That is better. Well done.

First, I have no outrage.

Second, by far, the primary motivation for illegals coming to the US is the availability of employment. If there is employment, they will come in large numbers. If there is no chance for employment, they will scarcely come at all. I think nearly everyone agrees with that.

So, in light of the availability of employment, I don't think that allowing illegals to get library cards or open bank accounts will affect overall immigration at all. What it may do is allow illegals to at least put their money somewhere safe, and in turn, raise the average savings rate of US residents (legal or illegal, it doesn't matter for this purpose), which is an economic good. Apparently, some believe (such as the group at Yale which proposed this idea) it will also reduce crime. (Yale by the way is a pretty good school). That is pretty good too.

Forum List

Back