Another Look at the Boland Amendment?

Programmer

Sep 22, 2015
In brief, the executive branch can't fund proxy wars because of the Boland Act. We put this in place in the 1980s notoriously giving rise to the Iran Contra scandal.

Programmer says we should take another look at this in our age of pointing out how political correctness compromises our interests. We're never going to declare another war, we can't put boots on the ground.

Until the first Terminator T-800s come off the line, should we reverse the Boland, and allow our State Department to start up militias wherever needed?

Boland Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think so. While I did like the funding and support for the Contras because I hate commies, we don't need our government doing so much covert shit with no transparency.

I don't think so. While I did like the funding and support for the Contras because I hate commies, we don't need our government doing so much covert shit with no transparency.

I think all of this is covert in our current situation. We could make it more above the board if it were legalized. Do you think the legislature is responsive enough to deal with rebel states and pockets of terrorists moving across national borders?

I really doubt the Boland Amendment is hindering our ability to arm people who killed the Ambassador or the Kurds. We've armed the shiaa for years, but all they seem able to do is run away and leave the weapons for ISIS

In brief, the executive branch can't fund proxy wars because of the Boland Act. We put this in place in the 1980s notoriously giving rise to the Iran Contra scandal.

This was a case of Congress interfering in the conduct of foreign policy. It should also be noted that this "scandal" did not involve any personal or political gain for those involved, unlike the almost daily scandals we see today.

I really doubt the Boland Amendment is hindering our ability to arm people who killed the Ambassador or the Kurds. We've armed the shiaa for years, but all they seem able to do is run away and leave the weapons for ISIS
That's what we were told anyways.. IDK if you have noticed but ALOT of what we have been told lately is bullshit.

I think this footprint of slow and bellicose response comes from the post-Boland status quo.

Rather than presuming that an act of congress and formal support for a group is rational, we could get materiel/arms and contractors in minor operation-level moves. We would have owned the militia in Benghazi. It would be the DOS that would run stuff like this.

We can take the assets back with the contractors.

This was a case of Congress interfering in the conduct of foreign policy. It should also be noted that this "scandal" did not involve any personal or political gain for those involved, unlike the almost daily scandals we see today.
It involved the freeing of those hostages, moreover.

I think all of this is covert in our current situation. We could make it more above the board if it were legalized. Do you think the legislature is responsive enough to deal with rebel states and pockets of terrorists moving across national borders?

No.

Our political whores would politicize it and take forever to make a decision.

I think this footprint of slow and bellicose response comes from the post-Boland status quo.

Rather than presuming that an act of congress and formal support for a group is rational, we could get materiel/arms and contractors in minor operation-level moves. We would have owned the militia in Benghazi. It would be the DOS that would run stuff like this.

If the Boland Amend were any hinderance, the congress would pass authorization to arm people fighting ISIS by super maj. I don't know where you got a hard on for the Boland Amend. I don't really care. But if anything was wearing cobwebs, it's the Boland Amend.

No.

Our political whores would politicize it and take forever to make a decision.

They should be able to define the statehouse budget or something they can wait for a cliff for.

We can't even use our conventional troops for a lot of this stuff.

If the Boland Amend were any hinderance, the congress would pass authorization to arm people fighting ISIS by super maj. I don't know where you got a hard on for the Boland Amend. I don't really care. But if anything was wearing cobwebs, it's the Boland Amend.
My boner comes from thinking congress is not responsive enough for the speed of modern geopolitics.

Before congress can act on ISIS as you say, we have to do a whole PR campaign just so you and I know what ISIS is and who Kurds are. Then it can be used as a political tool. Then, after some porkbarrel work and in-deals with your rep's favorite military contractor, and they come back from a recess, they can authorize the funds.

The rebels are dead by then.

New Topics

Forum List

Back