IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
Analyzing Black Support for President Trump
by Frank Newport

President Donald Trump recently convened a "Black Voices for Trump" conference in Atlanta. In his speech to those assembled, Trump said: "We're going to campaign for every last African-American vote in 2020. We've done more for African-Americans in three years than the broken Washington establishment has done in more than 30 years." And, according to The New York Times reporting, Trump added that "the Democrat Party already left you a long time ago … if you don't want liberal extremists to run your lives, then today we say welcome to the Republican Party."

This theme echoes a message Trump delivered to black Americans during his first presidential campaign in the summer of 2016, when he declared: "At the end of four years, I guarantee you that I will get over 95% of the African-American vote. I promise you. Because I will produce."

A prediction that Trump will gain 95% of the black vote is hyperbole, of course, but Trump clearly thinks he should be improving on the 8% vote among blacks he received three years ago. Based on what we see so far in terms of black ratings of the job Trump is doing as president, currently at 10%, I don't see a high probability of that happening.

For one thing, there has been remarkably little variation in Trump's job approval ratings among any group. As my colleague Jeffrey Jones recently noted, "Perhaps the most notable aspect of Trump's quarterly average approval ratings is their stability," with less than six percentage points separating Trump's highest and lowest quarterly averages so far in his term in office. More remarkably, Trump's calendar-year averages in 2017, 2018 and through this month in 2019 have varied by only one point, coming in at 40%, 41% and 41%, respectively.

The same stability holds true for Trump's approval rating among black Americans. Gallup averages show Trump with a 10% approval rating among blacks in 2017, 11% in 2018 and 10% so far in 2019. In short, Trump's approval rating among blacks has essentially not changed over time, despite blacks presumably having had plenty of time to observe the economic gains that Trump touts as the reason why they should be moving into his camp.

Approval ratings for an incumbent president have a significant relationship to actual election outcomes. I think it is fair to say that Trump's progress toward a substantially higher share of the black vote than he got in 2016 is in severe doubt if he maintains a 10% black approval rating. Notably, the last Republican president before Trump, George W. Bush, had a 14% approval rating among blacks in 2004 as he was seeking re-election. Bush received 11% of the black vote that November.

Gallup has more data and insights on the attitudes and behaviors of employees, customers, students and citizens than any other organization in the world.

We will not be voting for trump.

Last edited:
Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

President Donald Trump recently convened a "Black Voices for Trump" conference in Atlanta. In his speech to those assembled, Trump said: "We're going to campaign for every last African-American vote in 2020. We've done more for African-Americans in three years than the broken Washington establishment has done in more than 30 years." And, according to The New York Times reporting, Trump added that "the Democrat Party already left you a long time ago … if you don't want liberal extremists to run your lives, then today we say welcome to the Republican Party."

This theme echoes a message Trump delivered to black Americans during his first presidential campaign in the summer of 2016, when he declared: "At the end of four years, I guarantee you that I will get over 95% of the African-American vote. I promise you. Because I will produce."

A prediction that Trump will gain 95% of the black vote is hyperbole, of course, but Trump clearly thinks he should be improving on the 8% vote among blacks he received three years ago. Based on what we see so far in terms of black ratings of the job Trump is doing as president, currently at 10%, I don't see a high probability of that happening.

For one thing, there has been remarkably little variation in Trump's job approval ratings among any group. As my colleague Jeffrey Jones recently noted, "Perhaps the most notable aspect of Trump's quarterly average approval ratings is their stability," with less than six percentage points separating Trump's highest and lowest quarterly averages so far in his term in office. More remarkably, Trump's calendar-year averages in 2017, 2018 and through this month in 2019 have varied by only one point, coming in at 40%, 41% and 41%, respectively.

The same stability holds true for Trump's approval rating among black Americans. Gallup averages show Trump with a 10% approval rating among blacks in 2017, 11% in 2018 and 10% so far in 2019. In short, Trump's approval rating among blacks has essentially not changed over time, despite blacks presumably having had plenty of time to observe the economic gains that Trump touts as the reason why they should be moving into his camp.

Approval ratings for an incumbent president have a significant relationship to actual election outcomes. I think it is fair to say that Trump's progress toward a substantially higher share of the black vote than he got in 2016 is in severe doubt if he maintains a 10% black approval rating. Notably, the last Republican president before Trump, George W. Bush, had a 14% approval rating among blacks in 2004 as he was seeking re-election. Bush received 11% of the black vote that November.

Gallup has more data and insights on the attitudes and behaviors of employees, customers, students and citizens than any other organization in the world.

My friend and his huge family all say Trump is FOS.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

Most on the right don’t care about the facts, they’ll continue to propagate this and other ridiculous lies.

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

10% is high seeing those like you consider Trump as a bigoted racist and if he can get it near 15% by election it spell doom for your side...

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

I want to know what is wrong with "your" people. Just this weekend at a funeral 13 people were shot in, once again, Chicago, the liberal bastion of stupidity. Maybe this is why more blacks are moving towards a leader that actually does something good for them, instead of using hyperbole and giving nothing but grief.

13 people shot at Chicago memorial party for man killed by gun violence, police say

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

I want to know what is wrong with "your" people. Just this weekend at a funeral 13 people were shot in, once again, Chicago, the liberal bastion of stupidity. Maybe this is why more blacks are moving towards a leader that actually does something good for them, instead of using hyperbole and giving nothing but grief.

13 people shot at Chicago memorial party for man killed by gun violence, police say
Work on what's wrong with "your" people. We are moving towards Biden.

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

No, you need to stop the black on black genocide in inner cities and stop worrying about us whites...

Gallup averages show Trump with a 10% approval rating among blacks in 2017, 11% in 2018 and 10% so far in 2019. In short, Trump's approval rating among blacks has essentially not changed over time, despite blacks presumably having had plenty of time to observe the economic gains that Trump touts as the reason why they should be moving into his camp.

Blacks will not be voting for trump. Accept that. Paternalism died 400 years ago. Whites don't speak for us or tell us what to think. trump is a white racist piece of crap and no matter how many orgasms you racists get from posting one republican poll again and again, black support for trump is 10 percent. Given trumps racism, that's 10 percent too high.

Blacks LOVE everything democrats have done for them: public housing, crime, public schools, welfare and fatherless households.

Blacks LOVE everything democrats have done for them: public housing, crime, public schools, welfare and fatherless households.
More ignorant white racist drivel.

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

Given the spotty track record of your "another lie debunked" threads, don't ya think it would be better to STFU and appear the fool, instead of starting yet another one and removing all doubt?

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

Those know it alls have no idea what goes on in the city. They all say its a Dem political thing.
I think Biden will get the nod and the SC primary will show them.

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

You like the thought of blacks supporting racist

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

Those know it alls have no idea what goes on in the city. They all say its a Dem political thing.
I think Biden will get the nod and the SC primary will show them.
That's why Bloomberg entered the race Biden is such a great Choice lol

Polling Matters
November 20, 2019
by Frank Newport

Given the spotty track record of your "another lie debunked" threads, don't ya think it would be better to STFU and appear the fool, instead of starting yet another one and removing all doubt?
beta males got to blow their horns even when wrong

More ignorant white racist drivel.
Are you a democrat house noire?
c269576a066e42eb6ad5a884a91f52a642a830d70d74e60b5e9e490d7e0c416b_1.jpg

IM, what do you think about the recent controversy over the FBI labeling 'black indentity extremists', as they call them, as a threat? Apparently Barr is lumping them in with the small government folks who they're subsequently labeling 'anti-government' now.

They're asking tech companies for backdoors and they wanna start using government computer algorithms to monitor and sort em out online and commit them involuntarily for state run reeducation. According to Barr's memo to our militarized police force and intelligence agencies anyway. Basically anyone who question's the government's narrative on a given issue, policy or event.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back