Another CV fatality: Bucky Pizzarelli

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Couldn't find this posted anywhere so, lest he be forgot:

>> Bucky Pizzarelli, who after many years as a respected but relatively anonymous session guitarist became a mainstay of the New York jazz scene in the 1970s, died on Wednesday in Saddle River, N.J. He was 94.​
The guitarist and singer John Pizzarelli, his son and frequent musical associate, said the cause was the coronavirus.​
A master of the subtle art of rhythm guitar as well as a gifted soloist, Mr. Pizzarelli was sought after for recording sessions in the 1950s and ’60s and can be heard on hundreds of records in various genres, although he was often uncredited. He also toured with Benny Goodman and was a longtime member of the “Tonight Show” orchestra. But he was little known to all but the most knowledgeable jazz fans until he was in his 40s.​
02Pizzarelli2-jumbo.jpg

...Reviewing a June 2017 performance at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago, Howard Reich of The Chicago Tribune praised Mr. Pizzarelli’s “uncommonly sweet and delicate tone” and “disarmingly straightforward approach to melodic line.” “Even at his exalted age,” Mr. Reich noted, “Pizzarelli brought considerable craft to his solos, dispatching practically every note with heightened care.”​

The guitarist Ed Laub, who studied with Mr. Pizzarelli in the 1960s and went on to perform with him, summarized Mr. Pizzarelli’s philosophy in an interview with Inside Jersey magazine in 2016: “It’s about making beautiful music. It’s not about grandstanding. And that’s what his whole personality is about.” << ---- NYT

Linked on the same page, a running account of those we've lost to COVID-19 including a Briton who survived the 1918 pandemic.

Last edited:
I don't think it counts if you're 94. If he were hit by a bus I'd chock his death up to being 94.

Coulnd't find this posted anywhere so, lest he be forgot:

>> Bucky Pizzarelli, who after many years as a respected but relatively anonymous session guitarist became a mainstay of the New York jazz scene in the 1970s, died on Wednesday in Saddle River, N.J. He was 94.​
The guitarist and singer John Pizzarelli, his son and frequent musical associate, said the cause was the coronavirus.​
A master of the subtle art of rhythm guitar as well as a gifted soloist, Mr. Pizzarelli was sought after for recording sessions in the 1950s and ’60s and can be heard on hundreds of records in various genres, although he was often uncredited. He also toured with Benny Goodman and was a longtime member of the “Tonight Show” orchestra. But he was little known to all but the most knowledgeable jazz fans until he was in his 40s.​
02Pizzarelli2-jumbo.jpg

...Reviewing a June 2017 performance at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago, Howard Reich of The Chicago Tribune praised Mr. Pizzarelli’s “uncommonly sweet and delicate tone” and “disarmingly straightforward approach to melodic line.” “Even at his exalted age,” Mr. Reich noted, “Pizzarelli brought considerable craft to his solos, dispatching practically every note with heightened care.”​

The guitarist Ed Laub, who studied with Mr. Pizzarelli in the 1960s and went on to perform with him, summarized Mr. Pizzarelli’s philosophy in an interview with Inside Jersey magazine in 2016: “It’s about making beautiful music. It’s not about grandstanding. And that’s what his whole personality is about.” << ---- NYT

Linked on the same page, a running account of those we've lost to COVID-19 including a Briton who survived the 1918 pandemic.

He was so young.

It totally had to be Wuhan Virus, a 94 year old rarely will die otherwise....

I don't think it counts if you're 94. If he were hit by a bus I'd chock his death up to being 94.

Uh huh.
Splain the lady in England who was 108 then.

Same deal. If she was stabbed in the throat her cause of death was "being old disease".

Non Sequitorial.

Sorry, I don't speak French. I speak American. :mad:

That's English, but it does remind me of a joke.
Rich father sent his son to France for higher education. Son writes back asking for money so he can go visit a French Count. Dad writes back, "not another dime until you learn how to spell".

Forum List

Back