Another bad move by Bush

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
I notice no one has talked at all about how North Korea has shut down their reactor. As I recall the refrain has been all along that since we were so stretched and committed in Iraq dialogue and diplomacy were NOT going to work on them.

Ohh wait, I know, this turn of events is now because the Democrats control Congress, right? Or Bush , the person that has steadfastly maintained the US process on talking to them, is not the person that had anything to do with this event?

I notice no one has talked at all about how North Korea has shut down their reactor. As I recall the refrain has been all along that since we were so stretched and committed in Iraq dialogue and diplomacy were NOT going to work on them.

Ohh wait, I know, this turn of events is now because the Democrats control Congress, right? Or Bush , the person that has steadfastly maintained the US process on talking to them, is not the person that had anything to do with this event?

Well, the deal that Bush struck with the North Koreans is remarkably similar to the deal that Clinton struck with the North Koreans, and which Bush lambasted early in his presidency. I say kudos to Bush for getting it done, but as it didn't work when Clinton did it, I have doubts about how it will pan out this time. Whatever the solution ultimately is with respect to North Korea, I think this is probably a short term fix. Still, I agree with it, and better a short term solution than no solution at all.

Well, the deal that Bush struck with the North Koreans is remarkably similar to the deal that Clinton struck with the North Koreans, and which Bush lambasted early in his presidency. I say kudos to Bush for getting it done, but as it didn't work when Clinton did it, I have doubts about how it will pan out this time. Whatever the solution ultimately is with respect to North Korea, I think this is probably a short term fix. Still, I agree with it, and better a short term solution than no solution at all.

Really? Are we going to build them another reactor capable of creating weapons grade plutonium? Are we going to stop checking them for 10 years on whether they are meeting the agreements they signed?

Really? Are we going to build them another reactor capable of creating weapons grade plutonium? Are we going to stop checking them for 10 years on whether they are meeting the agreements they signed?

I don't believe that any reactors that we built for North Korea ever produced weapons grade plutonium, although perhaps I am wrong. If you can link me to a site, I will read it.

As to the other point, we did monitor them. The IAEA had cameras in their facilities and performed regular inspections (until NK kicked them out). We did not follow through with all of the terms of the agreement under Clinton, because we doubted that the North Koreans were following through on their side of the agreement. Do I think that this time, this agreement will solve the issue long-term where the last one did not. No, and that has nothing to do with either Bush or Clinton. I just don't think that the North Koreans are acting in good faith. I think that at some time in the future, when their needs are great, they will break this deal and try to extort more concessions. I don't have any idea how to ultimately solve this problem, but I doubt that this is the way. However, I do approve of what Bush has done.

This is how the left treated with North Korea - I hope Pres Bush is not doing the same

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3GPc_yMCE[/ame]

Kim Jong Il was warned by Bush not to develop nuclear warheads. He developed AND DETONATED nuclear warheads. He was warned by Bush not to test fire any ICBMs. He test fired ICBM's on the fourth of july!

Forum List

Back