Another "another inexpensive knife"...

Good grief does that look unwieldy.

I think the cheap Moras had that goofy rubber handle by the time I was turned on to them...maybe 10 years ago.

Edit...I see they still have some on the market...but no guard or finger stop. That's a deal breaker for me in a fixed blade
Guards are for children....In Finland when they first start teaching their kids they buy them a knife with a soft metal guard....When they are competent enough they take a pair of pliers and snap the guard off.

fLf-lTajj_a_Oh8_1bnE0wvEC0NHQWaav0nTSVeIM3Q.jpg

When they master that they are gifted a regular Pukko of some flavor.....It's really a big deal.

R.5af00bdbe9f62dcde324b56d98d563b0

Or stop buying quantities of shit and buy one good one.
I'd rather lose a $12 Mora or Opinel in the field than a high-end knife.

Hell, I lost a Mora wade-fishing in the river one day.....No worries, I just grabbed another out of the glove box when I got back to the truck and moved on with my day.

Back then they were like $4.00 a pop wholesale. I bought three dozen and gave them away to kids at hunt camp, used them for stocking stuffers, etc.

Other than the self-satisfaction/pride you get out of owning a higher-end knife they still won't do anything the above mentioned ones won't do....They just look better doing it.

It really helps if you know what you are about as far as sharpening goes too.....Sort of a mark of a man. ;)

Guards are for children....In Finland when they first start teaching their kids they buy them a knife with a soft metal guard....When they are competent enough they take a pair of pliers and snap the guard off.

fLf-lTajj_a_Oh8_1bnE0wvEC0NHQWaav0nTSVeIM3Q.jpg

When they master that they are gifted a regular Pukko of some flavor.....It's really a big deal.

R.5af00bdbe9f62dcde324b56d98d563b0
Let the Finnish do as they may...I follow a different philosophy of use.

Screenshot_20230207-213943-779.png

Tell the Army and Marines their knives are for children. ;)

Last edited:
Let the Finnish do as they may...I follow a different philosophy of use.

View attachment 754930

Tell the Army and Marines their knives are for children. ;)
Fighting knife you say....Ha! Got you covered.

I picked this one up in a gun/knife trade a couple years back.....Made by San Antonio Iron Works from the hilt end of a "Patton" Sabre.

They made WW-2 era fighting knives from the hilt, middle, and end section of the sabre....No two are really the same. Even the tooled leather sheaths are all just a bit different.

DSCN9539-2.jpg

DSCN9542-2.jpg
DSCN9541-2.jpg
DSCN9540-2.jpg

As part of the trade I also got a Augusta Arsenal refurbed M1911A1/holster. ;)

DSCN9544-2.jpg

Actually two this time.

One is yet another Grand Way...

This time a little boot knife for less than $9.00.

View attachment 754874

I have several of these Grand Ways in different styles...they have all held up remarkably well. This one is again supposed to be 440C.

---------

The other is a Doom Blades...which I've never heard of...I just liked the profile.

8cr15mov steel from China.

Just under $10.

View attachment 754875

Links...

Isn't sales illegal on a message board?

Last edited:
Both came in the mail today.

So far the Grand Way is a hit. Only downside is the scales are a little slick.

Even the sheath is nice. Probably going to use the holes to sew it right into one of my boots.

At $9 it's a steal.

The Doom Blades needs work.

The scales are cheap...the sheath is worthless...but it's sharp.

Still love the profile.

I'd still buy it IF you are willing to add new scales and make a sheath.

IMG_20230210_142131302~2.jpg

IMG_20230210_142423742~2.jpg

IMG_20230210_142508072~2.jpg

IMG_20230210_142552370~2.jpg

Both came in the mail today.

So far the Grand Way is a hit. Only downside is the scales are a little slick.

Even the sheath is nice. Probably going to use the holes to sew it right into one of my boots.

At $9 it's a steal.

The Doom Blades needs work.

The scales are cheap...the sheath is worthless...but it's sharp.

Still love the profile.

I'd still buy it IF you are willing to add new scales and make a sheath.

View attachment 755751

View attachment 755752

View attachment 755753

View attachment 755754
A good sheath, is 50% of a knifes utility. I hate it when I buy a good blade. And it comes with a ahit sheath! Hell, often times a really good sheath can cost more than the blade.

A good sheath, is 50% of a knifes utility. I hate it when I buy a good blade. And it comes with a ahit sheath! Hell, often times a really good sheath can cost more than the blade.
It's pretty ridiculous.

Any time I get a nylon sheath, it goes straight into the trash.

I make my own sheaths now.

If you're only making sheaths, you only need four tools and two tapestry needles.

A razor knife...the industrial type is fine...to cut the leather.

An awl to punch holes to sew thru.

A ruler to measure the spacing of the holes.

A wooden slicker that you can make it buy.

Screenshot_20230211-093616-656.png

Other than the self-satisfaction/pride you get out of owning a higher-end knife they still won't do anything the above mentioned ones won't do....They just look better doing it.
They stay sharper longer. How can you not know that?

Forum List

Back